Wanted: Puck Moving D

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
After losing PK, Markov and Beaulieu Montreal transition game from D to O took a major hit. Petry is OK-ish but there is really no one else to take that puck and ride or make a beauty first pass. Can Mete be groomed into this position? What other solution do we have?

Jul 6, 2016
Maybe trading Patches for a good one would be ideal.

Not that many available around the league.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I personally think this should be the target of a Patch trade. LDs generally have low value league wide so we should be able to get one.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
After losing PK, Markov and Beaulieu Montreal transition game from D to O took a major hit. Petry is OK-ish but there is really no one else to take that puck and ride or make a beauty first pass. Can Mete be groomed into this position? What other solution do we have?
you already have a guy that was a good one. (before he made mush out of his brain) if he can comeback you'll be good. imo

Last edited:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I personally think this should be the target of a Patch trade. LDs generally have low value league wide so we should be able to get one.
If LD's have low value league wide that's a match made in heaven for a continually depreciating asset like max.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Beaulieu was a good skater but his passing was off so you cant really consider him a puckmover... Markov's passing was alright but couldnt skate with the puck anymore so his loss hurted the transition but you cant really consider him a puckmover as well since a puckmover by definition can carry the puck with speed and dynamism like Subban used to do and like a kid like Mete can do... Outside of Mete, I think Brook and Fleury have some potential at moving and carrying the puck well enough...

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Yeah and it always ended up on the other players stick for a breakaway goal against. Idk how you mention Beaulieu as a loss but call Petry ok.

I'm talking about a specific function of a player and not claiming Beaulieu was Godlike in that aspect either. However he still filled a void as a lower D pairing. MAB used to be terrible on D yet could still be useful in a very specific PMD role.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Beaulieu was a good skater but his passing was off so you cant really consider him a puckmover... Markov's passing was alright but couldnt skate with the puck anymore so his loss hurted the transition but you cant really consider him a puckmover as well since a puckmover by definition can carry the puck with speed and dynamism like Subban used to do and like a kid like Mete can do... Outside of Mete, I think Brook and Fleury have some potential at moving and carrying the puck well enough...

Markov was still an elite puck mover imo. He could get the Habs in transition much better than any dman currently on the team. Very composed with the puck.

Reactions: BLONG7

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Markov was still an elite puck mover imo. He could get the Habs in transition much better than any dman currently on the team. Very composed with the puck.
thats the thing, Habs have none since Subban is gone... An elite puckmover should be able to skate with the puck and support the offense and while Markov had elite vision and passing game, he wasnt skating much with that little rubber on his stick...

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
thats the thing, Habs have none since Subban is gone... An elite puckmover should be able to skate with the puck and support the offense and while Markov had elite vision and passing game, he wasnt skating much with that little rubber on his stick...

True, but this was never really his game. What matters was the puck was often travelling out of our zone quickly and into the offensive when Markov was on the ice. I'm less concerned with how he was doing it, ie skating or passing as long as he was doing it. I think he was first in d-zone exits his last year on the team, ahead of Weber and everyone else. Still highly effective at transitioning the puck.

Reactions: LeHab

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
True, but this was never really his game. What matters was the puck was often travelling out of our zone quickly and into the offensive when Markov was on the ice. I'm less concerned with how he was doing it, ie skating or passing as long as he was doing it. I think he was first in d-zone exits his last year on the team, ahead of Weber and everyone else. Still highly effective at transitioning the puck.
yeah he was incredibly smart but when talking about PMD, Im more thinking about the Karlsson, Krug, Gostibehere, Jones, Burns of this world to name few... guys that can skate with speed and dynamism through the neutral zone and can tape to tape passes at full speed...

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

This is also the way I see it. We are looking for puck moving D not necessarily puck carrying D. It is all about starting in our territory and making sure front guys get the puck for a scoring chance, there is more than one way to achieve this. While some of his skills were obviously declining, he was still very effective at anticipating movement and making that long range tape to tape pass resulting in scoring chances.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Juulsen is a fine puck moving defenseman too.
We should trade Pacioretty for one that can play the left side

I believe there is a mistake in your avatar ...

2f29c6.jpg

:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad