Wanted: Puck Moving D

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
thats the thing, Habs have none since Subban is gone... An elite puckmover should be able to skate with the puck and support the offense and while Markov had elite vision and passing game, he wasnt skating much with that little rubber on his stick...

Markov did exactly the same as Subban pre-2009, he often transported the puck, with ease.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Team is going to change. Forwards flying the zone on stretch passes is not how the Habs are going to play. Puck support is important for breakout. Wingers who can make simple plays, and not get run over or turn over the puck. What I would be looking for is defenseman who can join the rush, exploit odd man situations, and I think Petry, Reilly, Mete, and to a lesser extent Schlemko and Juulsen can all fill that role

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Team is going to change. Forwards flying the zone on stretch passes is not how the Habs are going to play. Puck support is important for breakout. Wingers who can make simple plays, and not get run over or turn over the puck. What I would be looking for is defenseman who can join the rush, exploit odd man situations, and I think Petry, Reilly, Mete, and to a lesser extent Schlemko and Juulsen can all fill that role

Well, I guess that we will be very easy to play against, much like last year. I also interpret simple plays as the type of plays a team is forced to make because it does not have the talent to do otherwise type of plays. You need a mix of north/south and east/west if you are going to be successful and since we have virtually eliminated the east/west guys from our lineup I expect us to be even easier to play against. That D that you listed will be in survival mode all season and will mostly have it's back turned to the play and pray to God that both the forwards and Price can bail them out. I predicted 65 points and I stand by it.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I have said this since last year, could it be, is it even remotely possible that OldCraig71 knows a thing or two about hockey?

Well I don't know about OldCraig71 but Craig71 definitely knew a thing or two. :sarcasm: Also OldBryson71 knew a thing or two as well. That article above got the idea from me! :nod:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-go-go-edition.2385701/page-38#post-135713933

Oh I understand quite well. Subban and Markov liked to use the stretch pass to players like Paciroetty who liked to cherry pick at the opponents blue line. The forwards will now have to play deeper in our zone. Is there a defenseman currently on the team that can actually make a pass longer than 5 feet?

BOOM HEADSHOT!

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Those two alone make it so you can look at your D corps and say: "Yeah, we're pretty much set".
If and I mean if as an organisation you feel that you have absolutely no other choice but to trade these two players do you not talk with your management team and say, "this is not what we want to do but in the best long term interest of this franchise and our lack of depth at center we have to trade quality to get quality in return". Why in Gods name do you just trade two winning lotto tickets for a second prize and a cheap vacation? We gave away our golden tickets and got worse!!! Who does that? Bergevin has set this team back for 10 years with just those two trades alone!

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Well I don't know about OldCraig71 but Craig71 definitely knew a thing or two. :sarcasm: Also OldBryson71 knew a thing or two as well. That article above got the idea from me! :nod:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-go-go-edition.2385701/page-38#post-135713933

Oh I understand quite well. Subban and Markov liked to use the stretch pass to players like Paciroetty who liked to cherry pick at the opponents blue line. The forwards will now have to play deeper in our zone. Is there a defenseman currently on the team that can actually make a pass longer than 5 feet?

BOOM HEADSHOT!

I could only like this once, the goal of winning hockey games has to be versatility and we are limiting ourselves with every stupid move we make, we have been saying this for years my friend! You are one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board, why is it so hard for others to see. I have had a theory for years that those who argue otherwise simply do not watch the games or even understand them for that matter. Bravo to you.

Reactions: Runner77 and Bryson

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Our GM has destroyed our D....................I still do not understand why this clown has a job...7 years in, and he now wants to build through the draft, and try to land a PMD...brilliant...only the Habs would keep a clown like this around.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall on July 1st when they all realised that despite his elevated sense of self that no one else in the hockey world really cared! We will proclaim rebuild and while we are at it, we will release a statement that we do not intend to offer our captain a contract extension right in the midst of trying to trade him! I mean, how could you or me or anyone else do a worse job than Bergevin is currently doing? It's like we have embraced the anti-successful model of how to build a contending NHL team. I just turned a little greyer while typing this.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall on July 1st when they all realised that despite his elevated sense of self that no one else in the hockey world really cared! We will proclaim rebuild and while we are at it, we will release a statement that we do not intend to offer our captain a contract extension right in the midst of trying to trade him! I mean, how could you or me or anyone else do a worse job than Bergevin is currently doing? It's like we have embraced the anti-successful model of how to build a contending NHL team. I just turned a little greyer while typing this.

Bergevin promised more transparency, we got more than we asked for. :sarcasm:

Should have been one of those PR generic statements: "We highly value Max contribution and leadership and hope to negotiation a contract extension" even if in the background there is no intention of such.

Max did his generic part: "I enjoy playing in Montreal, future looks bright and hope to remain a Hab"

Reactions: OldCraig71

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I personally think this should be the target of a Patch trade. LDs generally have low value league wide so we should be able to get one.

I think we can get one, but how good and how young will he be? We also need scoring. The reason I'm in favor of trading Pacioretty is his age. We need high quality young talent so we can hopefully contend in 3+ years.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Bergevin promised more transparency, we got more than we asked for. :sarcasm:

Should have been one of those PR generic statements: "We highly value Max contribution and leadership and hope to negotiation a contract extension" even if in the background there is no intention of such.

Max did his generic part: "I enjoy playing in Montreal, future looks bright and hope to remain a Hab"
To the credit of Pacioretty I agree that he has always said the right things and this falls squarely on Bergevin, he has messed up yet another situation with a high profile player.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Laughing at Beaulieu wont solve anything. The fact is his last season in Montreal he did 28 points and he was very solid when he had to replace an injured Markov. He was awful in playoffs like pretty much the whole team outside of Radulov, Weber, Gallagher and Lehkonen.

What he did in Buffalo last year doesn't matter to me. I personally don't give a flying **** about Buffalo. When MB traded him he had to replace the 28 points he did here his last season. When you trade a player the point is to improve the team. All players we tried in his place failed hard. Harder than Beaulieu himself. Alzner? Flop. Benn in the top 4? Major uber flop. As long as Reilly and Schlemko wont do between 25 and 30 points in Montreal then no they don't replace Beaulieu's production in his last season in Montreal either. Can't believe people keep bringing Schlemko's name when to comes to improve the defense the guy is god damn awful. I've never seen a player so disinterested on the ice and also outside the ice when doing interviews. I think he can challenge Malakhov.

In my very humble opinion when MB traded Beaulieu he had a very easy job to replace him. It's not hard to replace a player like Beaulieu. Yet he failed miserably so far and laughing at Beaulieu wont change this fact. Maybe Reilly could be the solution next season on the 2nd pairing we will see but that defense doesn't look good if we don't get any help.

Last edited:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
We will but he'll be traded.

It's so mind boggling to me that Bergevin seems so obsessed with defensemen, adding them every chance he gets and always having an overabundance of them on payroll, but goes out of his way to actively ship out 3 of the highest potential Dman that hes ever had in his tenure. Subban, Sergachev, and Markov, all gone.

Like, wtf.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I'm talking about a specific function of a player and not claiming Beaulieu was Godlike in that aspect either. However he still filled a void as a lower D pairing. MAB used to be terrible on D yet could still be useful in a very specific PMD role.
Beaulieu was useful at being the poster boy of what not to do.......he was awful through and through.

Beaulieu was essentially a F1 car with an orangutan at the controls.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Beaulieu was useful at being the poster boy of what not to do.......he was awful through and through.

Beaulieu was essentially a F1 car with an orangutan at the controls.
It was reported that Chuck had off ice issues but I would say that Nates were worse, he was sat out in game 6 in MSG because of an incident the night before in a NY night club. I think that there were other factors at play with this kid, I mean, I would watch him in amazement just for his skating ability alone, he should have been a great player. I have a friend that played in the Q when Nate was with Saint John and he says that Beau was amazingly fast and a sure star in the NHL. Things have been anything but for him, the way to save his career is to have him go to Pittsburgh, they seem to be great at turning water back into wine but I guess it helps when you have the best 1-2 centre duo in the world up front.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
It's so mind boggling to me that Bergevin seems so obsessed with defensemen, adding them every chance he gets and always having an overabundance of them on payroll, but goes out of his way to actively ship out 3 of the highest potential Dman that hes ever had in his tenure. Subban, Sergachev, and Markov, all gone.

Like, wtf.

They don't play like marc did, therefore they arent the type of defense men marc wants... Gritter men who will win board battles and get "puck luck" where is that barf emoji?

Reactions: NobleSix

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
They don't play like marc did, therefore they arent the type of defense men marc wants... Gritter men who will win board battles and get "puck luck" where is that barf emoji?

I bet Bergevin actually thinks that he was the kind of player that actually wins cups for teams.

Reactions: Tank Toad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->