Player Discussion: Waltteri Merelä

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
i thought he had a decent game, good for a first NHL game. hopefully he acclimates to the speed of the nhl quickly.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Waltteri is a dumb name. The only difference between it and Valtteri is that he has to introduce himself by saying "Waltteri with a W", because it's not really a letter that exists naturally in the Finnish language.

He gets cooler initials I guess?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Waltteri is a dumb name. The only difference between it and Valtteri is that he has to introduce himself by saying "Waltteri with a W", because it's not really a letter that exists naturally in the Finnish language.

Yeah I wonder what the story with that is, lol

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah I wonder what the story with that is, lol
I've always thought it's just making your child's life unnecessarily more difficult, lol. Some people like to take traditional names and make them "international" I guess. Since 2010 there's been ~6000 kids named Valtteri, and a ~350 named Waltteri. Another popular one is Nico instead of Niko, same story, that child will always be "Nico with a C".

I don't know if this is controversial to say but... it always seems to be teenage parents doing this.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I've always thought it's just making your child's life unnecessarily more difficult, lol. Some people like to take traditional names and make them "international" I guess. Since 2010 there's been ~6000 kids named Valtteri, and a ~350 named Waltteri. Another popular one is Nico instead of Niko, same story, that child will always be "Nico with a C".

I don't know if this is controversial to say but... it always seems to be teenage parents doing this.
Makes me wonder what all the kids named Khaleesi or Arya out there are thinking about this.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Rotational symmetry is important to some people.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Makes me wonder what all the kids named Khaleesi or Arya out there are thinking about this.
And then there’s this guy:
48CEC829-75D6-406C-B78C-AA6688357DED.jpeg

Also I just realized the last Finn to play for Tampa was also called Valtteri. Fitting.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

It's even worse in America. It's like women's names are just made as needlessly long and flamboyant as possible and men's names have the letter y thrown in to feminize it. It happens with women too though. We got McKinsleigh, McKeighleigh, Emersyn, Emerleigh, Braxtyn, Samsyn, Braydyn, Paytyn, Dakoughtah.

I don't know how many of these exist but I'm sure there's a few people running around with these spellings. I wish I was kidding. For something far more controversial watch this

Yes the joke is that the names become more ridiculous as the video goes on. But the point is I could drop you off in inner city Tampa and you might meet someone named J'Aquarius or Shaquandry

The African American community didn't find it the least bit offensive because it wasn't untrue

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

There’s Mario and Wario

There’s Luigi and Waluigi

And then there’s Valtteri and Waltteri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad