Waiver fodder, fighting for a spot or guaranteed a spot

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
This is one of reason why I advocated exposing Edler for expansion draft to save one of our asset in youth, enticing Vegas to take him and even if they don't take him, we would have 4 defenseman saved from being taken. I do not see his value over a long run as he is in a decline. I think Edler is worth more to Vegas than the Canucks because Edler will then be more than willing to waive his NTC for a contender in a trade. We don't lose anyone else if Vegas ever decide to grab Edler. If the Canucks only expose Edler then we'd keep all 4 defenseman at the end of the day if they don't take him and it's still a win-win situation anyways. I have been posting like this since the discussion on this one over at CDC a few months ago. Edler has been bugging me for a long while and he is not that valuable to this team anymore if the Canucks want to take a next step. It's better to cut the cord than be stuck with his NTC contract and free up 4.5 million cap in near future with better asset to play with either, trading market or free agent market or an offer sheet to a team in tight with cap more valuable than a round of draft itself. The trick is which year is a bad drafting year.

woof this is a terrible opinion, holy ****. i dont think you have a clue how good a defenceman edler is

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Decent, but I would go like this.

Baertschi Horvat Eriksson
Sedin Sedin Boeser
Goldy FA Boucher
Granlund Gaunce Dorsett

PP #1 - Bear - Horvat - Boeser
Stecher / Hutton

PP #2 - Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Trammer - FA

Except you should replace Sutter for FA lolol...

i'll go:
Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Granlund
Goldobin Gaunce(or Chaput) Boucher (or Virtanen)
Eriksson Sutter Dorsett (Or Shore)

PP #1 - Boeser - Horvat - Eriksson
Stecher / Tryamkin

PP #2 - Sedin Sedin Granlund
Baertschi - Edler(or Tanev)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Decent, but I would go like this.

Baertschi Horvat Eriksson
Sedin Sedin Boeser
Goldy FA Boucher
Granlund Gaunce Dorsett

PP #1 - Bear - Horvat - Boeser
Stecher / Hutton

Trammer - FA

Yeah I didn't like having to put Eriksson with the Sedins, but do like the idea of Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser, but using Eriksson with Horvat and Baertschi is appealing, and the Sedins to work with Boeser is a good idea too.

I don't want Dorsett on the team at all.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Why? Sutter will sink any line.
Edited.

i'll go:
Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Granlund
Goldobin Gaunce(or Chaput) Boucher (or Virtanen)
Eriksson Sutter Dorsett (Or Shore)

PP #1 - Boeser - Horvat - Goldobin
Stecher / Tryamkin

Baertschi - Edler(or Tanev)

Last edited:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
woof this is a terrible opinion, holy ****. i dont think you have a clue how good a defenceman edler is

Yep and lets look around and see how he stacks up against other 5m D

DeKeyser
MacDonald
Greene
Rielly

Looks good to me, he is quite underpaid for his minutes and what he brings. 41 D have a higher cap hit than Edler and a bunch of them are not as good

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Yep and lets look around and see how he stacks up against other 5m D

DeKeyser
MacDonald
Greene
Rielly

Looks good to me, he is quite underpaid for his minutes and what he brings. 41 D have a higher cap hit than Edler and a bunch of them are not as good

Edler's going to bounce back. I will keep Edler till he wants to retire at 35/36.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
So we are going to have a log jam of 2nd 3rd 4th line tweeners fighting for spots next year.

Sedins, Horvat, Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi, Granlund, and probably Goldobin and Boeser are guaranteed spots.

That leaves Skille (UFA), Shore, Rodin, Megna (UFA), LaBate, Gaunce, Dorsett, Cramarossa, Chaput and Boucher fighting for 3 spots. And I guess one in the press box. I see a problem.

Also have Virtanen to consider.

We have 3 or 4 more in the AHL as well that will want a spot. Zach MacEwen, Grenier, Zalewski and Cassels to name a few.

I think the D is probably in better shape and much less battling going on.

So would be interested to hear where "fans" think which category these players fall under.

(Oh and hopefully we have to make a tough decision on Patrick as well :sarcasm: )

The first 7 you listed are likely the ones protected and need to clear waivers so they are truely locks. Boeser and Goldobin likely have rosters to lose but they are NOT locked. It depends on who the coach is and the goal of the team. In some cases, it might actually be a good idea to send Goldobin/Boeser down to Utica so you have better options in Utica to call up when someone gets hurt. Its impossible to go through a season without multiple players getting hurt at the same time, which means you'll need a few players in Utica to call up as well. Boeser/Goldobin are among those that could fit that role (if they don't make the team).

Skillie - He played well and pretty much has done everything you could've expected from him. Typical 4th liner so if we can get him sign close to min salary, its a decent signing. Of course if we're serious about a youth movement, then maybe we let Skiller go and go with younger players.

Shore - Sample size is a bit small for him so at this point i'll leave him as an unknown. If he's willing to sign a 2 way deal, then its an easy decision because he could be a AHL/NHL shuttle player (back and forth as we need). I doubt he'll be picked up on waivers and he can contribute in a top 6 role in the AHL. Note he's a RFA (which makes signing him easier, tho that doesn't mean he'll accept a 2 way deal since he might make more money in Europe).

Rodin - Question about him is more about his health. If he's 100% then i would be interesting in having him back... however the question about rather or not he'll be 100% is an important one. Also note he's a UFA

Megna - He has speed which i guess could help Utica but really not interested in him being resigned

LaBate - RFA and pending a lot of injuries/illness, he'll stay in Utica next year. Also the fact he doesn't have to clear waivers yet makes it less likely he'll make the team (borderline player who doesn't need to clear waivers generally by default will be sent down)

Gaunce - If Vegas doesn't pick him up, he makes the team and is likely given the 4th line C spot, also note another RFA

Dorsett - He's under contract and getting paid a decent amount of money regardless of where he plays. Also has a decent amount of experience and as a 4th liner, he isn't exactly bad (just badly overpaid but he's getting paid regardless so that's sunk cost). Basically he has a spot by default...

Cramarossa - I would rather have him than Dorsett if we're going to have a true youth movement. Not sure we really need both him and a healthy Dorsett however and since we're stuck with Dorsett for a while it doesn't make much sense to keep him unless we somehow manage to get rid of Dorsett. Plus a rebuilding team likely doesn't want to overspend (i.e. have Dorsett play in the AHL) so unless we somehow get rid of Dorsett's contract (say via trade to Vegas), i don't see a spot for Cramarossa

Chaput - Interested in him playing in Utica/14th forward type role but not really too interested otherwise. Advantage is he is a RFA so signing him shouldn't be too tough.

Boucher - I think he has earned a spot for next year with his recent play. Seems to be fine defensively most of the time (tho could use the odd reminder like vs the Hawks, but played much better in his own end vs the Wilds).

Virtanen - Pending an insane productive summer of progression, Virtanen is no where near ready for the NHL... :laugh: The goal for him is probably 2019 not next year.

Cassels - He's closer to the ECHL than NHL right now since he is producing 0 offensively, meaning he's more or less a staple on the 4th line in Utica. That said, he might be the best defensive center in Utica, so if we need someone "safe", he's an option. Of course maybe he suddenly finds his offensive game in his 3rd year like he did in Jr... Maybe he isn't 100% or maybe he needs a full summer to work on his game? Regardless, he isn't really in the discussion for a spot next year.

Zach MacEwen, Grenier, Zalewski - None of the above are likely to make the team. MacEwen will basically be a AHL rookie next year. Not many UDFA go from CHL -> NHL... more so one that was bearly PPG. So he isn't really in the discussion for a spot next year. Grenier is a UFA... if we resign him, then he might get a shot but i dont see him out playing Boucher or some of the others. Zalewski is a RFA i think (mostly due to a late birthday) but i'm not sure if he'll get another contract. Injuries has affected his performance (he's just rounding into form now) so the playoff push in Utica probably determines rather or not he gets a contract. That also makes it pretty unlikely he'll make 'nucks next year.

In order (beside the 7 likely protected)
Gaunce
Goldobin (more experience than Boeser)
Boeser
Dorsett (contract)
Boucher
Rodin (health)
Skillie
Chaput
Cramarossa

Others are basically AHL or not interested...

One thing to note however is there will likely be a few PTO (like Skillie this year) and there's no doubt some minor signings (like Chaput/Megna this year) too so there's more competition than the above. Also Vegas' expansion draft and our 1st round pick could add more competition to the list (or remove Gaunce... possibly Boucher if he continues to be hot).

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The first 7 you listed are likely the ones protected and need to clear waivers so they are truely locks. Boeser and Goldobin likely have rosters to lose but they are NOT locked. It depends on who the coach is and the goal of the team. In some cases, it might actually be a good idea to send Goldobin/Boeser down to Utica so you have better options in Utica to call up when someone gets hurt. Its impossible to go through a season without multiple players getting hurt at the same time, which means you'll need a few players in Utica to call up as well. Boeser/Goldobin are among those that could fit that role (if they don't make the team).

Skillie - He played well and pretty much has done everything you could've expected from him. Typical 4th liner so if we can get him sign close to min salary, its a decent signing. Of course if we're serious about a youth movement, then maybe we let Skiller go and go with younger players.

Shore - Sample size is a bit small for him so at this point i'll leave him as an unknown. If he's willing to sign a 2 way deal, then its an easy decision because he could be a AHL/NHL shuttle player (back and forth as we need). I doubt he'll be picked up on waivers and he can contribute in a top 6 role in the AHL. Note he's a RFA (which makes signing him easier, tho that doesn't mean he'll accept a 2 way deal since he might make more money in Europe).

Rodin - Question about him is more about his health. If he's 100% then i would be interesting in having him back... however the question about rather or not he'll be 100% is an important one. Also note he's a UFA

Megna - He has speed which i guess could help Utica but really not interested in him being resigned

LaBate - RFA and pending a lot of injuries/illness, he'll stay in Utica next year. Also the fact he doesn't have to clear waivers yet makes it less likely he'll make the team (borderline player who doesn't need to clear waivers generally by default will be sent down)

Gaunce - If Vegas doesn't pick him up, he makes the team and is likely given the 4th line C spot, also note another RFA

Dorsett - He's under contract and getting paid a decent amount of money regardless of where he plays. Also has a decent amount of experience and as a 4th liner, he isn't exactly bad (just badly overpaid but he's getting paid regardless so that's sunk cost). Basically he has a spot by default...

Cramarossa - I would rather have him than Dorsett if we're going to have a true youth movement. Not sure we really need both him and a healthy Dorsett however and since we're stuck with Dorsett for a while it doesn't make much sense to keep him unless we somehow manage to get rid of Dorsett. Plus a rebuilding team likely doesn't want to overspend (i.e. have Dorsett play in the AHL) so unless we somehow get rid of Dorsett's contract (say via trade to Vegas), i don't see a spot for Cramarossa

Chaput - Interested in him playing in Utica/14th forward type role but not really too interested otherwise. Advantage is he is a RFA so signing him shouldn't be too tough.

Boucher - I think he has earned a spot for next year with his recent play. Seems to be fine defensively most of the time (tho could use the odd reminder like vs the Hawks, but played much better in his own end vs the Wilds).

Virtanen - Pending an insane productive summer of progression, Virtanen is no where near ready for the NHL... :laugh: The goal for him is probably 2019 not next year.

Cassels - He's closer to the ECHL than NHL right now since he is producing 0 offensively, meaning he's more or less a staple on the 4th line in Utica. That said, he might be the best defensive center in Utica, so if we need someone "safe", he's an option. Of course maybe he suddenly finds his offensive game in his 3rd year like he did in Jr... Maybe he isn't 100% or maybe he needs a full summer to work on his game? Regardless, he isn't really in the discussion for a spot next year.

Zach MacEwen, Grenier, Zalewski - None of the above are likely to make the team. MacEwen will basically be a AHL rookie next year. Not many UDFA go from CHL -> NHL... more so one that was bearly PPG. So he isn't really in the discussion for a spot next year. Grenier is a UFA... if we resign him, then he might get a shot but i dont see him out playing Boucher or some of the others. Zalewski is a RFA i think (mostly due to a late birthday) but i'm not sure if he'll get another contract. Injuries has affected his performance (he's just rounding into form now) so the playoff push in Utica probably determines rather or not he gets a contract. That also makes it pretty unlikely he'll make 'nucks next year.

In order (beside the 7 likely protected)
Gaunce
Goldobin (more experience than Boeser)
Boeser
Dorsett (contract)
Boucher
Rodin (health)
Skillie
Chaput
Cramarossa

Others are basically AHL or not interested...

One thing to note however is there will likely be a few PTO (like Skillie this year) and there's no doubt some minor signings (like Chaput/Megna this year) too so there's more competition than the above. Also Vegas' expansion draft and our 1st round pick could add more competition to the list (or remove Gaunce... possibly Boucher if he continues to be hot).

Pretty much agree. Shore, however, yoou simply offer a two way deal with a decent AHL salary. $250 K should do it. More then he would get in Europe.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
The other 'shoe to drop" in terms of the lineup is who comes via the trade route....Almost certain that Jimbo will deal one of his d-men for help up front....Edler or Tanev the most likely....would be a mistake to deal Hutton imo.

And they're not about to trade a top-four d-man unless the guy coming back can step into the lineup right away....and could even be more than one forward in any deal.

I think moving out a D for any forward 25 and older would be a mistake. I'm all for moving out Edler and even Tanev if they get back someone between 19-22 to help the team down the line.

But, the idea of moving them out for a 25 year old forward makes little sense to me. Not as if the Canucks' are that super deep on the blue line.

Stecher/Tryamkin are still a wait and see in terms of how high up on the pairings that they can play. Hutton, took a step back this year and is still a wait and see. Leaves Juolevi and Brisebois coming up, who both play the left side.

Scisba is done after this coming season. Edler won't be back when his contract runs out in 2019. Wildcard is what they decide to do with Gudbranson. He was not impressive for the 20 odd games he played. He doesn't warrant a long term deal. Given what management experienced with Scisba, it would be a mistake to extend Gudbranson long term (4 years or more) in the summer. $4 million is a lot of cap space for a Dman who can't be a consistent 2nd pair guy. Plus, if he makes Hutton worse, the Canucks are better off moving EG out over Tanev. I strongly believe that Tanev in 3 years will still be a better Dman than EG, despite being about 2.5 years older.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
This is one of reason why I advocated exposing Edler for expansion draft to save one of our asset in youth, enticing Vegas to take him and even if they don't take him, we would have 4 defenseman saved from being taken. I do not see his value over a long run as he is in a decline. I think Edler is worth more to Vegas than the Canucks because Edler will then be more than willing to waive his NTC for a contender in a trade. We don't lose anyone else if Vegas ever decide to grab Edler. If the Canucks only expose Edler then we'd keep all 4 defenseman at the end of the day if they don't take him and it's still a win-win situation anyways. I have been posting like this since the discussion on this one over at CDC a few months ago. Edler has been bugging me for a long while and he is not that valuable to this team anymore if the Canucks want to take a next step. It's better to cut the cord than be stuck with his NTC contract and free up 4.5 million cap in near future with better asset to play with either, trading market or free agent market or an offer sheet to a team in tight with cap more valuable than a round of draft itself. The trick is which year is a bad drafting year.

This is ludicrous.

Canucks don't have any young assets that they'd need to expose that are worth getting rid of a prime top-pairing D on a good contract for nothing.

One of the worst suggestions I've ever seen on this site.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Agreed on all of them. Great post!!

What prospects in the farm are of interest?
Cole Cassels - is he ready to make the jump and become the anti-McDavid (from his junior days) that he was destined to be?

Jake Virtanen in our top 9 looks great to be honest, especially if Utica plays some meaningful games down the stretch.

Zack MacEwen? - or is he being overhyped (like me with Larsen last year)?

Borna Rendulic?

Yan-Pavel Laplante?

Michael Carcone?

It hasn't been an encouraging season for Canuck prospects in the AHL. The best players in Utica, not including goalies, have been Archibald, Valk and Robak, all of whom are on AHL contracts, plus Alex Grenier who will be an UFA and is getting to an age where his chances of ever becoming an NHL regular have to be considered poor.

Cassels-has yet to progress to the level of a decent AHL player. He's shown no reason to be considered for an NHL spot. He struggled his first pro season to recover from injury suffered the season before and hasn't really done anything good this season. He has 10 pts this season in 57 AHL games and hasn't done much to show the defensive game he was touted for in his final season of junior play.

Virtanen-has yet to get to the stage where he seems to process what is going on quickly enough for the NHL. Still, his play late in the 2015-16 season would indicate he can't be completely counted out for an NHL spot.

Zack McEwen-There is no reason to consider him an NHL player at this stage of his career. 1.12 ppg as a true overager in the Q is good enough to hope he'll make the Comets, but he's got a long way to go. That isn't to say he hasn't had a good season, but one has to be really careful not to expect too much from guys who don't get good in junior until their D+3 seasons.

Borna Rendulic is an interesting talent. He wasn't good for most of the season in Utica but seems to have picked it up somewhat lately. He'll be an UFA and there's a good chance the Canucks don't re-sign him, at least to an NHL contract. He hasn't shown nearly enough to be considered for a position with the Canucks next season.

Yan-Pavel Laplante--hasn't been good enough to stay in the AHL this season. Hopefully he's good enough next season, but as of now he can only be considered ECHL fodder.

Michael Carcone-has spent the season with the Comets. He's scored 15 pts in 52 games. That isn't good for a guy who's 5'10, 170 lb and not strong on the puck. He will likely be back with the Comets-but he's closer to the ECHL than the NHL right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad