Confirmed with Link: Waiver Claim- Jimmy Vesey

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If a guy can't beat out 41 year old Joe Thornton, I wouldn't want him on my beer league team.

They should re-enact the Peter Forsberg in disguise bit only this time it's Joe Thornton in disguise and slapping your beer league team around with his Jumbo Stick.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Holy f*** this guy sucks. Vesey waiver pick up got 10 pages on HFVan! The fans need SN650 to employ some real hockey analysts who have played the game. Educate instead of brainwash.

It's a damn shame there's such a large number of fans get excited about waiver claims because "look at his cap hit!" I just look at who Vesey lost his job to (Galchenyuk/Thornton) and that's all I have to see to determine the talent level of a hockey player. If a guy can't beat out 41 year old Joe Thornton, I wouldn't want him on my beer league team.

Why is it a shame though? How does it affect anything? It doesn't, it was a waiver pick up worth the try, if it doesn't work it's whatever. It's a lot better than paying for guys in UFA who basically provide the same thing, that's why people were happy.

Easy on Thornton, guys still better than most, a future Hofer top 5 playmaker of all time, bringing the leafs an excuse to go out and try to win.

Why is it a shame though? How does it affect anything? It doesn't, it was a waiver pick up worth the try, if it doesn't work it's whatever. It's a lot better than paying for guys in UFA who basically provide the same thing, that's why people were happy.

Easy on Thornton, guys still better than most, a future Hofer top 5 playmaker of all time, bringing the leafs an excuse to go out and try to win.

Reactions: MarkMM

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Agreed generally.

The only really puzzling thing about Vesey is how this late-20s castoff on his 4th team in the last 3 years can be given a stretch of 20 minutes/game with top players, but we for some reason can never, ever give those sorts of opportunities to our own homegrown players.

MacEwen and Gaudette (and even Virtanen) would have killed for the opportunity that Vesey has received here. Same with Juolevi on defense.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Different era, but whenever I think about waivers I think about Martin Gelinas.
Cut loose by Quebec, picked up by Vancouver and becomes one of my all-time favourite players. Twice a 30 goal scorer and an important piece of the 1994 finals team.
So, while my expectations are always low for a player who is acquired that way, I always have a little bit of optimism.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Agreed generally.

The only really puzzling thing about Vesey is how this late-20s castoff on his 4th team in the last 3 years can be given a stretch of 20 minutes/game with top players, but we for some reason can never, ever give those sorts of opportunities to our own homegrown players.

MacEwen and Gaudette (and even Virtanen) would have killed for the opportunity that Vesey has received here. Same with Juolevi on defense.

Agreed bud. I spend 70% of my posts on Virtanen because it is so mind-blowing that he continuously has been trotted out night after night for basically 5 years and he still brings absolutely nothing to the table. Literally nothing, not even good effort. Its okay to suck as long as you suck at 100% effort

MacEwen is a raw, undrafted player who needs time to refine his game. He's big, fast, tough, has a hard shot and an offensive knack for the net not to mention will fight anyone and works his ass off. There is an intimidating factor when Zack is on the ice. ..I'll admit, some of Zack's decision making has been horrible, he often ices the puck/gets rid of the puck when he doesn't need to, lacks poise but as I said he's still extremely raw he needs to be playing and playing lots to gain confidence and learn the timing of this new league.

I actually just posted in the Juolevi thread minutes ago that this team has no idea how to develop young players, unless you're a top talent who can step in right away or mature beyond your own years, you're doomed here. Juolevi and MacEwen are the next casualties

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The thing with Vesey is, he actually represents somewhat of an improvement in Benning's team-building practices. He's about the same calibre as the Sea of Granlund currently employed in the bottom-six, but because he was plucked from another team, Benning was unable to inexplicably pay him 3-4x his worth.

Vesey is fine if you need A Guy to play on the 4th line in nothing minutes. Obviously, the problem is the Canucks' lack credible depth, so somehow a guy like Vesey is thrown into a top-six role.

Reactions: MarkMM and Breakers

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't mind bringing Vesey in for a look just like I didn't mind the Hawyrluk signing and seeing what Highmore can do. If given the choice, Motte is the only bottom 6 forward that is a lock. IMO they need to bring in players at the league minimum (like Hawyrluk, Highmore and Boyd) to try in the bottom 6, take a look at some of the players in the system who could fit in the bottom 6 (Lind, Lockwood, Gadjovich) and spend money on a 3C. Re-signing Sutter would block that plan. Beagle and Rousel under contract for another year blocks that plan. $3.4M to Virtanen blocks that plan.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Historically, what kind of NHL teams are usually active on the waiver wire front?.....Basically those teams with bad rosters who are just trying to piece together an NHL lineup to get through the season.

So I guess we shouldn't be shocked that a guy like Vesey is picked up on waivers and immediately starts playing 20 minutes a night. I mean it truly is a damning indictment of the Canucks organizational depth.

There's a reason why the NHL approved the use of taxi squads for this COVID-ravaged season. When teams lose players to injury or COVID protocols, there's a pool of five players there to get you through the crisis. But apparently nobody on the Canucks taxi squad is capable of filling in. So it's on to the waiver wire.

The best thing that can be said about Vesey is that he makes just under $1m a season and is on an expiring contract.

Reactions: bossram

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Holy f*** this guy sucks. Vesey waiver pick up got 10 pages on HFVan! The fans need SN650 to employ some real hockey analysts who have played the game. Educate instead of brainwash.

It's a damn shame there's such a large number of fans get excited about waiver claims because "look at his cap hit!" I just look at who Vesey lost his job to (Galchenyuk/Thornton) and that's all I have to see to determine the talent level of a hockey player. If a guy can't beat out 41 year old Joe Thornton, I wouldn't want him on my beer league team.

Boyd over Vesey for sure just because he's really good at face-offs. Boyd's an upgrade over Graovac in that #5 C/AHL C.
I hate the way he plays. Still if he could do a backhand shot he would have goals just because of the multiple chances he gets with Miller. But he has no backhand and no handle period. Was a good process bringing him in, he just has done nothing. End this experiment and give next guy up the opportunity.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

I understand Benning picked up Jimmy Vesey because we had injuries, but a guy who couldn't crack a minimum wage 4th line in Toronto was worth a try? He was practically the only forward on waivers within Canada, that's why he was picked up along with Boyd.

You have no problem giving chances to bums. Unfortunately, that's not how good hockey teams are built. We're not a good enough team to have a bottom 6 full of cheap UFA signings like Toronto. We don't have Matthews or Marner on our team, and the cap dump that is Tavares.

The dropoff from Roussel, Beagle, to Vesey is staggering. Green has seen his talent level at forward shrink as the year has gone on, think about that and we're supposed to compete for a playoff spot?

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I understand Benning picked up Jimmy Vesey because we had injuries, but a guy who couldn't crack a minimum wage 4th line in Toronto was worth a try? He was practically the only forward on waivers within Canada, that's why he was picked up along with Boyd.

You have no problem giving chances to bums. Unfortunately, that's not how good hockey teams are built. We're not a good enough team to have a bottom 6 full of cheap UFA signings like Toronto. We don't have Matthews or Marner on our team, and the cap dump that is Tavares.

The dropoff from Roussel, Beagle, to Vesey is staggering. Green has seen his talent level at forward shrink as the year has gone on, think about that and we're supposed to compete for a playoff spot?
We should compete. Its Aquilinis expectations.

We should easily be able to pull ourselves up by our bootstaps just like Aquilini had to...

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don't get Jim Benning.

He picks up a 4th line player, actually he claims 2 off of waivers... Boyd and Vesey.....

proceeds to trade Gaudette, I know I know, he's struggling this season, ok, but proceeds to trade for a 4th liner, a border line 4th line player in Highmore????

drops big money on Beagle and Rouselle who are also 4th line players.... picked up another 4th line player in Hawryuk in the off season, I don't get Jim Bennings obessesion with these 4th line players, I just don't anymore. Mike Gillis will try to reverse it, which is load up on top 6 players and obtain as much offensive depth as possible, Benning seems to be aiming for 4th line players get this Jim Benning outta here wtf.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Historically, what kind of NHL teams are usually active on the waiver wire front?.....Basically those teams with bad rosters who are just trying to piece together an NHL lineup to get through the season.

So I guess we shouldn't be shocked that a guy like Vesey is picked up on waivers and immediately starts playing 20 minutes a night. I mean it truly is a damning indictment of the Canucks organizational depth.

There's a reason why the NHL approved the use of taxi squads for this COVID-ravaged season. When teams lose players to injury or COVID protocols, there's a pool of five players there to get you through the crisis. But apparently nobody on the Canucks taxi squad is capable of filling in. So it's on to the waiver wire.

The best thing that can be said about Vesey is that he makes just under $1m a season and is on an expiring contract.
Vesey had hype because he was a UFA at age 23 coming off a very nice career with Harvard. He was a 3rd round pick in 2012 as a 19 year old. He will turn 28 in May and will have put in 5 NHL seasons.

He's probably a PTO come this off-season and maybe off to Europe if he doesn't stick. Don't see him going to the A on a 2-way deal. But, he secured that nice second contract at $4.55 million over 2 years to give him career earnings of around $7.3 million. Could very well see him call it a career if he doesn't latch on with an NHL team in the fall.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Vesey had hype because he was a UFA at age 23 coming off a very nice career with Harvard. He was a 3rd round pick in 2012 as a 19 year old. He will turn 28 in May and will have put in 5 NHL seasons.

He's probably a PTO come this off-season and maybe off to Europe if he doesn't stick. Don't see him going to the A on a 2-way deal. But, he secured that nice second contract at $4.55 million over 2 years to give him career earnings of around $7.3 million. Could very well see him call it a career if he doesn't latch on with an NHL team in the fall.

To be fair he had some productive seasons in New York and he isn't a defensive liability either. It's weird that not only did he not take the next step in development his scoring touch has disappeared. He's one of those players who should be able to score some goals when playing with good players but that didn't happen for him the past two seasons.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The thing with Vesey is, he actually represents somewhat of an improvement in Benning's team-building practices. He's about the same calibre as the Sea of Granlund currently employed in the bottom-six, but because he was plucked from another team, Benning was unable to inexplicably pay him 3-4x his worth.

Vesey is fine if you need A Guy to play on the 4th line in nothing minutes. Obviously, the problem is the Canucks' lack credible depth, so somehow a guy like Vesey is thrown into a top-six role.

Welp...

He represents an improvement in someone's team building process.

Unless Benning can actually speak more than three detailed sentences about a player, his input doesn't mean jack shit.

(which if he did and I missed it, I'm not sorry because Benning has more than earned the doubt over the benefit)

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
What did you guy want from him? Vesey was moving down from leafs' 2nd line to on the waive list, it is what it is. If Canucks wants a top-six project, why not claim Galchenyuk?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What did you guy want from him? Vesey was moving down from leafs' 2nd line to on the waive list, it is what it is. If Canucks wants a top-six project, why not claim Galchenyuk?

I don't think the Canucks wanted a Top 6 project. It was more or less timing as the Canucks were dealing with injuries around the time Vesey was picked up. With Vesey it is at least what you see is what you get. He's a guy you can plug into the lineup who might be able to contribute offensively. Galchenyuk was seen as a broken player. Even Dubas talked about needing to build him back up. That's not what the Canucks were looking for. Good on the Leafs and Galchenyuk though. Seems to be working perfectly for them so far.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Welp...

He represents an improvement in someone's team building process.

Unless Benning can actually speak more than three detailed sentences about a player, his input doesn't mean jack shit.

(which if he did and I missed it, I'm not sorry because Benning has more than earned the doubt over the benefit)

I'm literally the last person to give Benning the benefit of the doubt here.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Is the guy ever going to score a point?

I didnt mind the way he looked the first 2 games, but the more I watch him the more I realize he gets nothing accomplished out there. Too many plays die on his stick for him to be anywhere near the top 6 and he really isnt a bottom 6 type player.

Would rather see Lind get a look at this point.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is the guy ever going to score a point?

I didnt mind the way he looked the first 2 games, but the more I watch him the more I realize he gets nothing accomplished out there. Too many plays die on his stick for him to be anywhere near the top 6 and he really isnt a bottom 6 type player.

Would rather see Lind get a look at this point.

You just watch. He's going to pick up a secondary assist tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad