Post-Game Talk: Wahhhhh

Is there a goaltending controversy in Edmonton?

• Total voters

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I don’t understand how anybody thinks Bouchard played that well. He waved at Looch. Waved. Then while his partner was engaged with Lucic he just stood there off to the side of the net, doing what? Waiting for Looch to come back his way? Please explain WTF he is doing just standing there. No attempt to provide net front coverage. Not blocking any potential pass coming to the front. What is he doing? If you watch Bouchard that kind of thing happens to him all the time. Standing at the edge of the frame while a puck goes in his net. It’s like he’s mentally zoned out or something. He’s quite poor when it comes to own zone coverage. And I don’t even think that’s up for debate.

What’s wrong with recognizing that? He does other things quite well. But he has areas that need big time improvement. Some posters here need to dial down their man crushes on a kid who has barely played 100 NHL games. I wouldn’t even bother replying to this except it’s the same guys crushing hard on Bouchard who jump all over Nurse and Barrie when they make a mistake.
This was discussed as early as a few months post his draft.

lack of urgency in the d zone. He has improved a lot in that area since he was drafted. Still needs improvement.

His offensive skills are elite.

Reactions: Aerchon

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The Oilers are back to back Tuesday/Wednesday against Nashville and New Jersey.

Splitting those games between Campbell and Skinner makes sense. I'd give Campbell the Nashville game to give Skinner the extra day of rest.

It’s Tuesday Thursday.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Please point out the NHL team that has six guys firing on all cylinders at the same time. It rarely happens.
Slumps happen to everyone, however the only way to get out of them is to work your way out of them by getting yourself into a position to succeed. I do not see that from Yamamoto right now.

Reactions: Duke74

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
We play Tuesday & Thursday, not back to back.

Thanks.

I was looking at the Wikipedia page for the OIlers season. I was looking at the Wikipedia page for this Oilers season (which I have since corrected). Guess I'll know not to trust the schedule on there going forward.

The home stand is New Jersey/Nashville/Dallas on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday.

Saturday is an afternoon game so Woodcroft will want to have each of them start one of the Thursday/Saturday games.

I would give the New Jersey start to Skinner to reward how he played yesterday.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Wahhhhh
Screenshot_20221030-224035_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221030-224009_Gallery.jpg

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Meh. They are extremely well coached to overperform in the regular season, but no actually I don't think the Flames are better than last year. Gaudreau and Tkachuk were lights for them and dominated games 5 on 5. Sutter's schtick this time around, he gets his team in the regular season to play at an intensity closer to playoff intensity for them, the problem with that is come playoff time other teams elevate their play and they don't know how to respond.

That was our third game in four nights (which honestly should be scrapped in the NHL, it's absurd) travelling back from the East coast where you lose two hours on top of that.

We still had enough in the tank to take over and win the game in the 3rd. Was it our best game? No. We probably played at 65%. Still won it and you know they were prepping hard just for us being well rested.

The bolded is often understated by a lot of NHL fans as well. That sort of scenario (3 in 4 with significant travel) is as close to a scheduled loss as they come. To win that game against a well-tested rival is massive. To do that while having a fairly even game (60-40 in Flames favour?), is notable and the mark of a great team.

The amount of Oiler fans in Calgary really is quite nuts. You could hear the Saddledome get really loud at the final buzzer from all the Oiler fans cheering, almost sounded like a home game lol. So many kids even in Calgary rocking a McDavid jersey.

This has got to be another reason (aside from the shilling for the arena) that they push the Flames agenda so much on Sportsnet. They’re almost outnumbered there, which is embarrassing. That should only really happen with Leafs or Habs games where you can re-sell your tickets for a massive amount.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Life ain't great right now, and I don't know when I'll be back, but I'm drunk in the last row of the Saddledome and figured I'd log in to celebrate the win with everyone. Stay safe, everyone.
Good to see you posting Del even if it's just a one time post. We miss you around here and were wondering what happened. I hope everything works out for you in your personal life.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yup. But the NHL doesn't really care about Edmonton IMO. Sportsnet and the NHL rather promote Calgary than us.
Which makes no sense because Edmonton is the more storied franchise with the much more promoteable players, for decades now. I'll never understand the media fascination with Calgary. Montreal? Toronto? Absolutely but Calgary? Huh? Why?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Which makes no sense because Edmonton is the more storied franchise with the much more promoteable players, for decades now. I'll never understand the media fascination with Calgary. Montreal? Toronto? Absolutely but Calgary? Huh? Why?
Honestly, it's jealousy that drives this. Getting McDavid after having Gretzky was a big catalyst. Funny that you don't see the same resentment with Pittsburgh and there are even plausible claims that the NHL effectively gave the Pen's Crosby.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Honestly, it's jealousy that drives this. Getting McDavid after having Gretzky was a big catalyst. Funny that you don't see the same resentment with Pittsburgh and there are even plausible claims that the NHL effectively gave the Pen's Crosby.
Among the fanbases I get that but what's with the media fascination of the Flames? It's not like they have anything to gain but propping them up. Just weird and it's been going on for years.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Among the fanbases I get that but what's with the media fascination of the Flames? It's not like they have anything to gain but propping them up. Just weird and it's been going on for years.
The media exhibits the same sorts of jealousy traits as many fanbases. We saw this big time with Gretzky. Media in Toronto and NYC in particular used to dismiss the Oilers as a side show. Even after they won some still tried to make the case that Gretzky for example was not nearly as good as other past stars.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I think most of it is SN and not TSN, because chief Flame knob polisher Kelly Hrudey and his evil sidekick Cassie the *** are both SN/CBC ultra stars and massive Flames cheerleaders.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Hold your nose and head over to that other site. They are shit talking after losing.

Seconds after the first Flames game ended my cowtown cousin sent me a message saying ‘how does it feel to be an Oilers fan and realize that you still don’t have a starting goalie’. I’m still waiting to hear from him after last nights game. Maybe his phone is broken? :dunno:
I take it all with a grain of salt.

If you jumped in a time machine and travelled a thousand years into the future the Oilers-Flames feud would be just as intense as it is today (assuming of course that the NHL still exists and humanity hasn't blown itself up).

I find that some of the worst "sh*t talkers" are guys who couldn't stand up on skates or make it from the couch to the fridge without passing out. Living vicariously is something that has become a habit for us and I include myself on that list.

I am signing off for a while now. I'm watching a horror movie on the tube and I am going to get a beer from the fridge. My wife has gone out and won't catch me drinking before noon.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
The media exhibits the same sorts of jealousy traits as many fanbases. We saw this big time with Gretzky. Media in Toronto and NYC in particular used to dismiss the Oilers as a side show. Even after they won some still tried to make the case that Gretzky for example was not nearly as good as other past stars.
Yep, and the Toronto media anointed the flames with the "lovable loser" schtick between the Alberta teams. The jealousy about the Oilers dynasty from the older guys (in their 40's and 50"s) in the National/Toronto media never went away, and was further ramped up when the Oilers "stole" McDavid from the Leafs.

Calgary has always been the underdog to the Oilers, even when the Oilers were hot garbage, and the Eastern Media has had no reason to hate the Flames. So they jump on the losers bandwagon out of spite for the Oilers.

I liken it my feelings about the Senators. I don't really like the Sens, but I ALWAYS want to see them do better than the Leafs. But I'm not in the media, so no one has to be forced to listen to my biases like we are with the Eastern media.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
At this time I would just like to thank the Hockey Gods for McJesus. Can you imagine if we had those frauds in Toronto. Our team would be in shambles and so would our brains.

Reactions: bellagiobob

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
After their loss to us, Calgary shook up their lines in practice today:

Huberdeau-Kadri-Mangiapane
Lucic-Lindholm-Toffoli
Dube-Backlund-Coleman
Lewis-Ruzicka-Ritchie
Rooney

LOL @ Lucic on line 2.

Calgary lacks top 6 forwards especially on the wings.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Calgary was always in the shadow of the more successful and cocky Oilers, and everyone loves a good underdog story.

Not to mention most sports reporters and former NHLers working in media today played in the 80s/90s, and grew up watching 80s hockey and have personal experience with one team being dominant in the NHL in the 80s. That'll change as younger former NHLers take over the role and only remember the Oilers being irrelevant at the top level of competitive hockey. I doubt Subban/Weekes/Kesler care much about the Oilers one way or another, but guys like Hrudey spent years getting burned by the 80s Oiler dynasty - it probably left a mark

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Calgary was always in the shadow of the more successful and cocky Oilers, and everyone loves a good underdog story.

Not to mention most sports reporters and former NHLers working in media today played in the 80s/90s, and grew up watching 80s hockey and have personal experience with one team being dominant in the NHL in the 80s. That'll change as younger former NHLers take over the role and only remember the Oilers being irrelevant at the top level of competitive hockey. I doubt Subban/Weekes/Kesler care much about the Oilers one way or another, but guys like Hrudey spent years getting burned by the 80s Oiler dynasty - it probably left a mark
Bieksa for example seems to have a healthy respect for the Oilers. Certainly, McDavid and Draisaitl. He was even very complementary to Nuge the last Saturday game.

Hrudey was even born in Edmonton, though he now lives in Calgary and played his Junior hockey in The Hat. Maybe he got too much of that Southern Alberta air.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Bieksa for example seems to have a healthy respect for the Oilers. Certainly, McDavid and Draisaitl. He was even very complementary to Nuge the last Saturday game.

Hrudey was even born in Edmonton, though he now lives in Calgary and played his Junior hockey in The Hat. Maybe he got too much of that Southern Alberta air.

Some of that air smells quite ripe at times too...windows up and vents off.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
After their loss to us, Calgary shook up their lines in practice today:

Huberdeau-Kadri-Mangiapane
Lucic-Lindholm-Toffoli
Dube-Backlund-Coleman
Lewis-Ruzicka-Ritchie
Rooney

LOL @ Lucic on line 2.

Calgary lacks top 6 forwards especially on the wings.

Weird, Louie and Hanarayan were just going on about how amazing the Flames were because they haven't changed their lines yet just last Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad