Post-Game Talk: Wahhhhh

Is there a goaltending controversy in Edmonton?

• Total voters

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Think Calgary's offensive creativity has taken a hit. We obviously weren't awake to start either one of our first two games against Van or Calgary, but outside of that 4-1 debacle start where like Kulak just randomly blew a tire and so on, since Skinner came into net they scored 2 goals through 5 1/2 periods from that point on.

It's easy to shit on Tkachuk but even him, he would make some plays that would surprise you once in a while. That no look pass he made in the last Florida game was bonkers. Gaudreau of course always kept you on your toes too.

Furious Nerd

Jan 18, 2018
Makes me wonder if he ends up having a mediocre season, the Flames don't try to trade him before his extension kicks in lol.

Now THAT would be freaking hilarious.
No one will trade for that contract.

Treliving should have waited to see how Huberdeau played this year before extending him for max term, but he was trying to erase the fact that he lost Gaudreau for nothing.

Now, he's sewered the Flames for a decade.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not really, Bouchard must think Kulak is the strongest man on the team. Because by abandoning his check he left Kulak to battle Lucic at the one thing Lucic is still good at.... being big. And that wasn't the only mistake Bouchard made. He was caught flat footed and hesitant on more than one occasion which led to scoring chances against.

That's active abrupt decision making (attacking to gain puck possession or backing off to establish defensive positioning, do one or the other expediently), skating (keep those feet moving and don't be a deer caught in the headlights), physical assertiveness (properly checking your man in that situation every single time without exception... Sutter will use that same forechecking arrangement everytime Bouchard is on the ice and so will other coaches). Multiple facets need to be worked on in practice. Hang up the fanboy cap and put on your big boy pants, Kentucky.
You want both Dmen behind the net battling one Lucic…hahaha okie.

Your need to invent negatives that didn’t happen when he was our best Dman last night is entirely too predictable.

Of course he isn’t the perfect player you’re trying to claim saying. And he’ll never be the perfect player you expect him to be.

Can really tell who never played any kind of competitive sport on here…

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
No one will trade for that contract.

Treliving should have waited to see how Huberdeau played this year before extending him for max term, but he was trying to erase the fact that he lost Gaudreau for nothing.

Now, he's sewered the Flames for a decade.
The season is early, it’s no different for some players on the Oil, slow starting and all. But JH is supposed to be a star so he should get going quickly. You might be right that he has sewered the Flames for years ahead. Tre won’t be around to have to deal with it though. Gonna be a fun year.

Reactions: bellagiobob

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Think Calgary's offensive creativity has taken a hit. We obviously weren't awake to start either one of our first two games against Van or Calgary, but outside of that 4-1 debacle start where like Kulak just randomly blew a tire and so on, since Skinner came into net they scored 2 goals through 5 1/2 periods from that point on.

It's easy to shit on Tkachuk but even him, he would make some plays that would surprise you once in a while. That no look pass he made in the last Florida game was bonkers. Gaudreau of course always kept you on your toes too.

At some point the random bottom of the lineup players that are scoring for them will stop scoring for them as well. Ritchie and Stone’s offense will dry up sooner than later.

Kadri started the season hot, but they don’t have a single other forward playing in their top 6 that is actually producing offense with any consistency.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Hard laughing…

And Looch and Neal (and Chiarelli)know awful contracts, so there is that.

Classy dude.
After this season, two more seasons of Neal haunting the books, even if the cap goes up we're 2M in the hole. The Calgary Creeps will have fun with that.

I want to add that any trade the Oilers make should include extra cap expulsion, cap dump for additional asset, so we can actually play Janmark. What a conundrum to have a useful player not playing and to make room to have him play likely costs us a draft pick.

And if a defenceman is to be recalled it shouldn't be Broberg, it should be Kesselring, whom I like very much as a prospect.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You want both Dmen behind the net battling one Lucic…hahaha okie.

Your need to invent negatives that didn’t happen when he was our best Dman last night is entirely too predictable.

Of course he isn’t the perfect player you’re trying to claim saying. And he’ll never be the perfect player you expect him to be.

Can really tell who never played any kind of competitive sport on here…
This is getting silly. All Bouchard had to do was take his man and the play is nullified.

Any decent coach reminds Bouchard to take his man soon as he gets to the bench and then drills the player next day in practice. That's how players get better and that's how hockey works. End of story, Oklahoma.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
This is getting silly. All Bouchard had to do was take his man and the play is nullified.

Any decent coach reminds Bouchard to take his man soon as he gets to the bench and then drills the player next day in practice. That's how players get better and that's how hockey works. End of story, Oklahoma.
Nobody and I mean nobody should take any hockey advice from you.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I don't mind having a similar goalie system to Trotz back when he was in Long Island with Sorokin and Varlamov where the goalies rotate regardless of the outcome.

Campbell
Skinner
Campbell
Skinner

And so fourth.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Kulak already had the man… you’re suggesting he should have gone way out of position to double team Lucic lol.

Stick to video games lol

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Nobody and I mean nobody should take any hockey advice from you.
I don’t understand how anybody thinks Bouchard played that well. He waved at Looch. Waved. Then while his partner was engaged with Lucic he just stood there off to the side of the net, doing what? Waiting for Looch to come back his way? Please explain WTF he is doing just standing there. No attempt to provide net front coverage. Not blocking any potential pass coming to the front. What is he doing? If you watch Bouchard that kind of thing happens to him all the time. Standing at the edge of the frame while a puck goes in his net. It’s like he’s mentally zoned out or something. He’s quite poor when it comes to own zone coverage. And I don’t even think that’s up for debate.

What’s wrong with recognizing that? He does other things quite well. But he has areas that need big time improvement. Some posters here need to dial down their man crushes on a kid who has barely played 100 NHL games. I wouldn’t even bother replying to this except it’s the same guys crushing hard on Bouchard who jump all over Nurse and Barrie when they make a mistake.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
So I guess we know what Sutter thinks of Huberdeau now lol. The was a pretty shocking answer.

I really don’t think we got out played, we are just the better team. Goals and timely saves win games.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don’t understand how anybody thinks Bouchard played that well. He waved at Looch. Waved. Then while his partner was engaged with Lucic he just stood there off to the side of the net, doing what? Waiting for Looch to come back his way? Please explain WTF he is doing just standing there. No attempt to provide net front coverage. Not blocking any potential pass coming to the front. What is he doing? If you watch Bouchard that kind of thing happens to him all the time. Standing at the edge of the frame while a puck goes in his net. It’s like he’s mentally zoned out or something. He’s quite poor when it comes to own zone coverage. And I don’t even think that’s up for debate.

What’s wrong with recognizing that? He does other things quite well. But he has areas that need big time improvement. Some posters here need to dial down their man crushes on a kid who has barely played 100 NHL games. I wouldn’t even bother replying to this except it’s the same guys crushing hard on Bouchard who jump all over Nurse and Barrie when they make a mistake.
Thank you. He didn't take his man, didn't shoulder check to see if the D was pinching, didn't even look to see who was headed for the slot, didn't head to the front of the net, and still stayed out of position even when he saw McDavid committed.

I guess he was trying to provide an outlet for Kulak before Kulak gained possession of the puck. 100% puck focused and motionless, with no defensive awareness on the play, looking for a potential breakout when there was no opportunity for one.

How anyone can not see several faults during that sequence is perplexing.

And I agree, Bouchard does some excellent work, now in the present, but this player makes the same mistakes over and over. Including equally troubling indecisiveness in the offensive zone where it becomes a 50/50 toss up if the opposition is going to break out in numbers or if the Oilers will hold the zone.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Thank you. He didn't take his man, didn't shoulder check to see if the D was pinching, didn't even look to see who was headed for the slot, didn't head to the front of the net, and still stayed out of position even when he saw McDavid committed.

I guess he was trying to provide an outlet for Kulak before Kulak gained possession of the puck. 100% puck focused and motionless, with no defensive awareness on the play, looking for a potential breakout when there was no opportunity for one.

How anyone can not see several faults during that sequence is perplexing.

And I agree, Bouchard does some excellent work, now in the present, but this player makes the same mistakes over and over. Including equally troubling indecisiveness in the offensive zone where it becomes a 50/50 toss up if the opposition is going to break out in numbers or if the Oilers will hold the zone.
Both Bouch and McD got caught puck watching instead of covering the net front.

I usually don't hold back criticizing Bouchard but that was one of his strongest games overall. He was showing a lot of poise vs Flames and showing slo mo replays could make anyone look bad since it's a fast game.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

Mcdavid literally did what you two wanted Bouchard to do which is abandon the front of the net to double team a player that was pressed up against the boards. If Mcdavid would have just stayed in front of the net that pass never makes it to Ritchie. Bouchard is standing to the side because that is normally where the puck gets reversed to on plays like that and Lewis was literally skating towards Bouchard.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I never understand this hockey culture thing where the moment a supposed "back-up" goalie (and it's the media who calls him that, not the team itself) suddenly starts winning and playing well, there's a "controversy". WTF?

Yeah, who would want to have two good goalies who both win games when you could have one who wins and one who sucks? Surely the latter is better, right...? That's insanity.

Having two goalies who are winning is the ideal, the dream. It's not a controversy; it's exactly what we should always be attempting to have.

Anyway, Skinner had an amazing game last night, but he's probably playing a little above his head right now, while I think Campbell has been thrown to the wolves a bit by the horrendous 1st-periods the Oilers had early on.

Campbell vs. Nashville, surely? Should be interesting.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Please point out the NHL team that has six guys firing on all cylinders at the same time. It rarely happens.
It’s like how Broberg Speed expects perfection from every player

clear as day that Lucic was in no way the responsibility of Bouchard lol. Kulak literally has him wrapped up. The forwards blew their backchecking coverage badly on that play. Mainly McDavid.

better angle in the highlight package

Thanks for all the angles…just makes it look even sillier that you think Bouchard should have been on Lucic there. If anything there should have been better communication by Kulak on the way back that he was going to go behind the net when Bouchard was the first man back. By the time Kulak also went behind the net, Bouchard couldn’t get back to the front of the net and no forward even attempted to cover anyone on the back check.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Both Bouch and McD got caught puck watching instead of covering the net front.

I usually don't hold back criticizing Bouchard but that was one of his strongest games overall. He was showing a lot of poise vs Flames and showing slo mo replays could make anyone look bad since it's a fast game.
He made some good plays alright, nobody denies that, but the Ritchie goal wasn't even Bouchard's most indecisive moment of the night.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Just imagine having a two headed monster in net. Similar to Fleury / Talbot last year on Minny. Ullmark/Swayman is another good example.

The Oilers are back to back Tuesday/Wednesday against Nashville and New Jersey.

Splitting those games between Campbell and Skinner makes sense. I'd give Campbell the Nashville game to give Skinner the extra day of rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad