W Sondre Olden - Brynas, SHL (2010, 79th overall, Toronto; UFA)

• Thread starter LeafsGetTavares*
  • Start date

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
:laugh:

I'm not even sure I need to say anything.

I agree with him. If Olden puts it all together he's going to be a special type of player. Kadri has skills, but lacks size and strength, Colborne has size but also lacks strength and doesn't have those natural talents. Olden has all the raw materials to become a great player.

Mr Lahey*

I'd love if SSM grabbed him at 7 in the import draft. Where does everyone expect him to go?

Last edited by a moderator:

Madic

May 21, 2008
I agree with him. If Olden puts it all together he's going to be a special type of player. Kadri has skills, but lacks size and strength, Colborne has size but also lacks strength and doesn't have those natural talents. Olden has all the raw materials to become a great player.
I wouldn't know where to start with you two, and I'm not sure I should bother. Would I ask how it is you've come to this conclusion when you don't live in Sweden and didn't watch him play a single J20/SEL game this season? Or would I start by saying that even a person who gets all hot around the collar for euro-mystique could have watched Olden in the preseason and international play, where he really didn't show any high-end skill that would place him above relatively high-level talents like Kadri and Colborne? I already feel like I wasted text. Short version: You're overrating (by miles) a decent project drafted in the third round for a reason. You've also apparently never heard of Joe Colborne, or were watching him play while upside down or something.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Hopefully Kitchener, Niagara or Erie :handclap:

Yes Kitchener. Or even London since I work there.

And for that guy who said he is a better prospect than Kadri and Colborne :facepalm:

You even said that Colborne doesn't have natural talent... but yet is a fantastic playmaker, has a good shot, and a great skater for his size. Just like Kadri, if he gets stronger he's going to be a heck of a player.

TheSanny

May 11, 2011
Just had to bump this, I hope you don't mind.

Olden is wrecking up the Norwegian Elite League being the leading scorer at the moment with 17 goals and 20 assists for 37 points in 23 games and and +21 rating.

He's gotten bigger, faster and stronger and he will definately get offers from the Swedish Elite League soon. He's also in the consideration for going to the Olympics in Sochi with Team Norway.

Here's his full stats:
http://get-ligaen.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=6381301&seasonid=11200

Is he finally reaching his potential?

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Sondre Olden
6'4" 194 lbs

Valerenga - Norway
22 gp 16g 19a 35 pts

Gotta wonder how he would be doing in Sweden. I don't know anything about hockey in Norway but I assume you need to elite there to have a shot in the SHL.

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
Sondre Olden
6'4" 194 lbs

Valerenga - Norway
22 gp 16g 19a 35 pts

Gotta wonder how he would be doing in Sweden. I don't know anything about hockey in Norway but I assume you need to elite there to have a shot in the SHL.

Hockey is maybe ECHL level?
He has made huge progress since last year. Great skills and extremely fast. Good shot as well. Might need to be more consistent

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
No we don't. I remember when we had to sign him or loose his rights and there were a lot of angry Leafs fans considering the price we paid to draft this kid. I was kind of shocked as well that we let him walk.

I thought it was curious as well. The Leafs spent a 3rd on him when most expected him to go in rounds 5-7, if at all...and then walked away from his rights just two years later. Wonder if there's more to that story that never came out.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I thought it was curious as well. The Leafs spent a 3rd on him when most expected him to go in rounds 5-7, if at all...and then walked away from his rights just two years later. Wonder if there's more to that story that never came out.

I very well could be wrong, but I seem to remember something about him being very homesick. Could explain why he is choosing to slay in Norway versus testing out even nearby and more superior leagues in Sweden, Finland, etc. Either way, glad to see the improvement. Leafs said they would keep an eye on him after they chose to let him go. Not sure if that is lip service or they actually meant it though.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
He didn't really show much progression after he was drafted, I wasn't shocked that they let him go. I was a big fan of that pick though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

IMG_3147.JPG

I took this picture while I was at the 2010 Draft. The Leafs traded a 2012 3rd rounder to LA for the 79th pick and this was Burke/Nonis/Lombardi talking near Central Registry before submitting the deal. In the background, you can see Kirill Kabanov (65th overall) walking behind them with the Islanders hat.

Not sure if it was true, but I always thought that the Leafs targeted that pick to leapfrog Detroit at #81. Might have just been internet buzz, but there was a feeling that Olden was one of those darkhorse European picks associated with the Red Wings.

On a side note, I thought it was a little strange at the time to see the Kings trade away a pick for a future pick since they were the host that year. The previous summer, they invited an undrafted Radko Gudas to prospect camp and he apparently was very impressive. But they couldn't sign him (like they had done previously with Martin Jones) and Gudas came over to play in the WHL. Gudas went #66 to Tampa which might have prompted LA to deal #79.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Burke described it as a home run swing kind of a pick. Kid had NHL size and was a very raw project. and yes, I remember hearing they traded up because they thought the Wings wanted Olden as well.

anyway good for him. if he ever decides to try the pros maybe he gives the Leafs a call, who knows.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
It just sucks that he ended up in Erie too soon. He played on a dreadful team that didn't help his development one bit.

TheSanny

May 11, 2011
Olden has been selected to play for Team Norway at the Olympics :handclap:

Possibly as a 4th liner with limited ice time, but it will be exciting to see him play against top international players.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
IMG_3147.JPG

I took this picture while I was at the 2010 Draft. The Leafs traded a 2012 3rd rounder to LA for the 79th pick and this was Burke/Nonis/Lombardi talking near Central Registry before submitting the deal. In the background, you can see Kirill Kabanov (65th overall) walking behind them with the Islanders hat.

Not sure if it was true, but I always thought that the Leafs targeted that pick to leapfrog Detroit at #81. Might have just been internet buzz, but there was a feeling that Olden was one of those darkhorse European picks associated with the Red Wings.

On a side note, I thought it was a little strange at the time to see the Kings trade away a pick for a future pick since they were the host that year. The previous summer, they invited an undrafted Radko Gudas to prospect camp and he apparently was very impressive. But they couldn't sign him (like they had done previously with Martin Jones) and Gudas came over to play in the WHL. Gudas went #66 to Tampa which might have prompted LA to deal #79.

I believe Elliotte Friedman speculated on this as well. I believe he speculated that the Wings later did the exact same thing striking early on Pulkkinen before the Leafs grabbed him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I believe Elliotte Friedman speculated on this as well. I believe he speculated that the Wings later did the exact same thing striking early on Pulkkinen before the Leafs grabbed him.

I'm curious if the Leafs were intending on taking Pulkkinen at #112 (I remember reading the same thing). The Wings took him at #111. While the first round tends to drag for TV purposes, the 2nd-7th round fly by relatively quickly.

For that draft, I happened to be seated near the Washington table. Brian Burke was walking around table to table trying to deal #112. Eventually he found a taker in Washington who then drafted Phillip Grubauer.

IMG_3165.JPG

Due to the timing, I'm not sure if Burke was offering the pick before Pulkkinen went off the board or if he was doing it regardless.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Off to Brynas this year. I see he had a great year in Norway and has bulked up a bit (6'4" 194 lbs). Anyone think there is an NHL future down the road?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad