W Sondre Olden - Brynas, SHL (2010, 79th overall, Toronto; UFA)

• Thread starter LeafsGetTavares*
  • Start date

LeafsGetTavares*

Anyone watching him seeing how he is improving? A lot of people are calling him a project who could be the next Franzen, apparently DET wanted him but the Leafs got him (If Detroit wants him, you know he's good)

Apparently he is not going to MoDo and he is not going to the KHL either.

I would assume he is coming over to Canada to play for the Marlies or a junior team. Does anyone know what team owns his rights?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Anyone watching him seeing how he is improving? A lot of people are calling him a project who could be the next Franzen, apparently DET wanted him but the Leafs got him (If Detroit wants him, you know he's good)

I would assume he is coming over to Canada to play for the Marlies or a junior team. Does anyone know what team owns his rights?

It is correct Detroit wanted him. We ended up taking him right before they picked, and they responded by taking Pulkinnen just ahead of us when Burke was targeting him. let's hope Olden is worth it.

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok

I tought he had a preety underwhelming season last year, but the potential is there. Where have you heard that he is not going to play for Modo ? I heard he got a contract offer from the senior team and that Naslund wanted to have him in the senior squad next season.

I also read an article the other day that Brian Burke called him and wanted him to come over and play junior hockey in the OHL. He said that he is leaving the contract talks to his agent and just wants to focus on his off-season practice for now.The only thing that is certain is that he is going to Toronto for prospect camp july 2.

I guess we just have to wait and see, if someone picks him in the import draft I guess he has agreed to go over and play.

http://www.nettavisen.no/sport/vinter/article3160994.ece

LeafsGetTavares*

HockeyBreak Hockey Break
I asked Maple #Leafs prospect Sondre Olden if he plans to play for MoDo next season, he said, "No, I don't know, you will see"

I guess these is are correct, Olden turned down a contract with MoDo and is coming to the CHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
He doesn't really seem to know a lot... :sarcasm:

Anyway, I believe that he'll play in OHL next year.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
On twitter, here's the quote.

HockeyBreak Hockey Break
I asked Maple #Leafs prospect Sondre Olden if he plans to play for MoDo next season, he said, "No, I don't know, you will see"

HockeyBreak Hockey Break
#Leafs Sondre Olden shot down the idea of going to the KHL. I asked what number do you hope to wear, "I don't know, I can't have 13"

HockeyBreak Hockey Break
Olden says his favourite player is Evgeni Malkin. I asked if he tries to play like him, he said, "I don't know, I just play my game"

I wouldnt complain if he turned out like Malkin

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
There was some question marks raised around his work ethic and commitment to being a great player his draft year, but Leafs took a flyer on him getting his head straight and reaching potential.

With the frame he has and the offensive qualities he posesses, he could be something better if he started to work hard, add some muscle .

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Admitedly I know very little, but if the brass is high on a late round pick, that suggestes, he has the tools to be a player, BUT does he have the tool box? Early indications are no, but look at Frattin.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Early indications would suggest we still don't know. He's still 18...

He had a bad year, certainly nothing to indicate he is going to be an NHLer, but that is why I brought up Frattin. Bozak never got drafted. Sometimes guys get their act together later, and that is what the Leafs are hoping. The fact that he is one of the youngest guys drafted does work in his favour of course.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

He had a bad year, certainly nothing to indicate he is going to be an NHLer, but that is why I brought up Frattin. Bozak never got drafted. Sometimes guys get their act together later, and that is what the Leafs are hoping. The fact that he is one of the youngest guys drafted does work in his favour of course.

I don't get why everyone keeps saying he had a bad year?

He is only 18 and had 22 points in 33 games in the SuperElite. While those are not amazing numbers, they are on par with what he did the year before(27 points in 32 games). Also, he clearly improved his playoff numbers by getting 6 points in 6 games(year before he only had 1 point in 6 games).
He didnt do well in the WJC but who on Team Norway did well? No one.

He is still very, very young. Also, bigger players(he is 6'4) typically take longer to develop. He is only 176 pounds, so he has to add weight and get stronger. Going to the CHL might help so that he starts to get used to playing in North America. I still feel he has immense potential.

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
Admitedly I know very little, but if the brass is high on a late round pick, that suggestes, he has the tools to be a player, BUT does he have the tool box? Early indications are no, but look at Frattin.

OT, that was said about Grabovski a year or two ago, tho he was "a lot" older at the time than Olden is now.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Report this morning says he's coming to the CHL. I expect him to be a high pick in the import draft.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
He has reportedly a deal in place with an unnamed CHL team to draft him. Probably in the OHL because of the Leafs ties, but that's just speculation on my part.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He has reportedly a deal in place with an unnamed CHL team to draft him. Probably in the OHL because of the Leafs ties, but that's just speculation on my part.

i would imagine OHL as well....but how does that work, what if a team picks him higher than the team with the deal in place?

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
i would imagine OHL as well....but how does that work, what if a team picks him higher than the team with the deal in place?

That has happened with this kind of situation in the past. I'd guess he'd probably go anyway, but it's kind of a unclassy move, I suppose.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
He'll be in the import draft.

Hes got the highest ceiling potential of all Leaf prospects, (yes more than Kadri and Colborne) but is the least likely to reach it. Hes got to gain a ton of weight. Like a solid 30-40 pounds. if hes still only 176.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->