Proposal: W. Nylander for M. Tkachuk

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
as a leafs fan, no to this proposal. there is a possibility that nylander plays C next season and that will most likely happen if we can't get a 3C in free agency

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
neutral reader,

id say CGY adds, not a huge amount, but Nylander can provide W/C flexiblity. Tkachuk has a slightly less points over 82 (59 vs 55 using career pace) but was a full time player in the NHL in D+1. doubt TOR would do this tho

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Leafs add and significantly (at least an additional second rounder).

If Nylander really becomes a legitimate top six C however, one that can defend other teams' centers and can win faceoffs while still out scoring the opposition, the value then flips the other way.

These are my thoughts exactly.

Reactions: Rorschach

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Nylander will be a center at the NHL level and is playing there right now. he's also got a lot more offensive upside and can impact a game more

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Leafs add and significantly (at least an additional second rounder).

If Nylander really becomes a legitimate top six C however, one that can defend other teams' centers and can win faceoffs while still out scoring the opposition, the value then flips the other way.
The Leafs would not be the one to add. Nylander>Tkachuk

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Only way leafs ever consider this is if we sign JT, and a 2nd would need to come our way along with Tkachuk

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Only way leafs ever consider this is if we sign JT, and a 2nd would need to come our way along with Tkachuk
uggg no to J.T I just can't see it at all. Shanny has really stuck to his plan and I just can't see them going that way. Plus there is a real chance that J.T would be a 3c for us in a few yrs and paying 9-10 mil for a 3c is a bad idea.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Fair value, both fanbases will be saying no. Nylander has the added versatility of possibly being a centre long term, but Tkachuk is a phenomenal pest that can play physical and throw other teams off their game while putting up similar numbers. Which one you select depends on whether you need a centre or some size in your lineup.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Nylander will be a center at the NHL level and is playing there right now. he's also got a lot more offensive upside and can impact a game more

I agreed with everything up to "...and can impact a game more".

No. I am a Kings fan and I can tell you Tkachuk is a player opposing teams love to hate. He is extremely disruptive to the opposing team's best players and he's heart and soul to his own team. You can look at the Flyers and see the two players they had in Jeff Carter and Mike Richards. Tkachuk is like Richards and will get a haul like that. Nylander is more like Jeff Carter...tremendous offensive talent but not the kind of player GMs overpay for, at least not currently.

Nylander's impact is on one side of the ice, the offensive zone. Tkachuk's is all over the ice and the opposing team's heads.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

No. I am a Kings fan and I can tell you Tkachuk is a player opposing teams love to hate. He is extremely disruptive to the opposing team's best players and he's heart and soul to his own team. You can look at the Flyers and see the two players they had in Jeff Carter and Mike Richards. Tkachuk is like Richards and will get a haul like that. Nylander is more like Jeff Carter...tremendous offensive talent but not the kind of player GMs overpay for, at least not currently.

Nylander's impact is on one side of the ice, the offensive zone. Tkachuk's is all over the ice and the opposing team's heads.
One thing many non Leaf fans forget is a large chunk of us are very familiar with Tkachuk. I along with many other Leaf fans watched every jr game Marner and Tkachuk played. I naturally developed an affinity for Matt but even with that in mind Nylander is a better player.

Reactions: Cotton

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think their values are similar but I'd much rather keep Nylander. I think he's got a crazy amount of untapped potential and the chance to potentially have a Matthews/Nylander/Kadri centre core is too appealing to pass up.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

that's fair. I should have said can impact a game more offensively

Reactions: Rorschach

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
You can't trade a centre for a similar skill/impact winger. You just can't.

Nylander’s 5v5 production at C isn’t similar to Tkachuk’s production at LW. The reason for the trade would be that they don’t have similar skill/impact. Nylander is more skilled but Tkachuk brings a physical and defensive element that Nylander doesn’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad