W Keegan Kolesar - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 69th, CBJ)

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Keegan Kolesar- (CBJ, 69th; 2015)

Can any WHL followers discuss this prospect? He's a big kid at nearly 6'2 220, and seems to be quietly having a great year statistically in Seattle. What kind of role
do you see him playing at the next level?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Can any WHL followers discuss this prospect? He's a big kid at nearly 6'2 220, and seems to be quietly having a great year statistically in Seattle. What kind of role
do you see him playing at the next level?

He's a very very good prospect that people don't seem to know much about. I always explain him as a football player on ice. He is extremely thick and muscular and you would assume he's a pro football player if u see him off ice. He is a power forward tjat skates extremely well and has unbelievable hands. Plays in all situations. Great on the pp and is used alot on the pk. Will fight, can score goals and can dangle, which is impressive for how big he is.

One thing he needs to work on is his consistency. He tends to go a few games not doing the things he normally does that makes him one of the better power forwards in the WHL. He will look disinterested at times, but when he is on his game, he is a complete beast.

Next year he will be a force. He will be the best power forward in the whl and will have a great year... especially if Barzal is back. I expect him to be even bigger next season after a offseason of workouts.

If he can keep focused every game and be consistent, he can be possibly the most effective player in the league next year

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He's a very very good prospect that people don't seem to know much about. I always explain him as a football player on ice. He is extremely thick and muscular and you would assume he's a pro football player if u see him off ice. He is a power forward tjat skates extremely well and has unbelievable hands. Plays in all situations. Great on the pp and is used alot on the pk. Will fight, can score goals and can dangle, which is impressive for how big he is.

One thing he needs to work on is his consistency. He tends to go a few games not doing the things he normally does that makes him one of the better power forwards in the WHL. He will look disinterested at times, but when he is on his game, he is a complete beast.

Next year he will be a force. He will be the best power forward in the whl and will have a great year... especially if Barzal is back. I expect him to be even bigger next season after a offseason of workouts.

If he can keep focused every game and be consistent, he can be possibly the most effective player in the league next year

How does he compare to Gropp these days? I know Gropp has always been regarded as a higher prospect but now hes older and being outproduced by Kolesar on the same line?
Also Im not sure Kolesar wants to gain too much more weight, he actually lost weight and toned down to a more lean body type for this year. His father was like 240 some pounds so he has the genes to be a monster if he wants but I dont think that is practical and even at a lowly 220lbs hes still a tank

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I think Columbus is going to get a good player out of Kolesar. If he is not scoring goals he plays a physical two way game. Top 9 player for sure if he continues to develop, with some good offensive potential.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How does he compare to Gropp these days? I know Gropp has always been regarded as a higher prospect but now hes older and being outproduced by Kolesar on the same line?
Also Im not sure Kolesar wants to gain too much more weight, he actually lost weight and toned down to a more lean body type for this year. His father was like 240 some pounds so he has the genes to be a monster if he wants but I dont think that is practical and even at a lowly 220lbs hes still a tank

different players but IMO Kolesar is more effective. I heard rumors that before NHL draft that some teams were extremely high on Kolesar and some thought he would also be a 2nd round pick. But he ended up going in the 3rd. I like Gropp's game but I think Kolesar will be a better pro cause he has more elements to his game. He can play top line mins or play a bottom 6 grinding crash and bang game. Gropp needs to play top 6 mins to be effective

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
different players but IMO Kolesar is more effective. I heard rumors that before NHL draft that some teams were extremely high on Kolesar and some thought he would also be a 2nd round pick. But he ended up going in the 3rd. I like Gropp's game but I think Kolesar will be a better pro cause he has more elements to his game. He can play top line mins or play a bottom 6 grinding crash and bang game. Gropp needs to play top 6 mins to be effective

Is he a candidate for the World Junior team next year, in your opinion ?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Is he a candidate for the World Junior team next year, in your opinion ?

Hes never been on Hockey Canada's radar. I wouldn't count on him on the team but you never know. I think he should atleast get an invite. If Barzal is back in the WHL, then I could see Kolesar potentially getting an invite cause him and Barzal play well together.

Im not holding my breath on him and the WJC but we will see

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

I said it awhile ago but it pretty much just sounds like it confirms what I thought and that he's pretty much Calvert at 6'2 220lbs instead of 5'11 190lbs. Now if he has that heart we might have found our RW Boone Jenner but meaner

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Tough to think of a comparable for him. He's bigger than Dustin Brown (before he sucked) or Wayne Simmonds, but seems to play a similar game.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Tough to think of a comparable for him. He's bigger than Dustin Brown (before he sucked) or Wayne Simmonds, but seems to play a similar game.

I know when he first came into the league, a player they projected him to hopefully turn into at the time was Henrik Samuelsson (Coyotes 1st round pick in 2012)

Here are their stats in their 18 year old seasons

Samuelsson - 69gp. 33g. 47a. 80pts. 97pims. +31
Kolesar(so far) - 55gp. 30g. 29a. 59pts. 93pims. +11

I know Samuelsson hasn't made the NHL yet so a lot of people may not be too familiar with him, but I don't mind the comparison. IMO Kolesar is a better skating version of Samuelsson

mynameistickle

Sep 9, 2009
Richmond, VA
This guy deserves a bump. After 3 games played in the WHL playoffs he was tied with the lead for WHL playoff points with one Sam Steel after a huge night Wednesday in a 9-2 victory where he posted 1 G, 4 A (2 primirary/2 secondary). 9 points in 3 playoff games is impressive, but looking back since the beginning of Februray he posted 14 G and 18 A for 32 P in 22 GP... Not too shabby. Everyone will be quick to point out that he turns 20 in about a week, but I don't think that matters. Take a look at his season last year, pretty comperable. I think this guy is a massive sleeper. Anyone who's had more viewings than me have the same feeling? I'd love to get some more info on him.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This guy deserves a bump. After 3 games played in the WHL playoffs he was tied with the lead for WHL playoff points with one Sam Steel after a huge night Wednesday in a 9-2 victory where he posted 1 G, 4 A (2 primirary/2 secondary). 9 points in 3 playoff games is impressive, but looking back since the beginning of Februray he posted 14 G and 18 A for 32 P in 22 GP... Not too shabby. Everyone will be quick to point out that he turns 20 in about a week, but I don't think that matters. Take a look at his season last year, pretty comperable. I think this guy is a massive sleeper. Anyone who's had more viewings than me have the same feeling? I'd love to get some more info on him.

alot of people assume that every player's production on Seattle is thanks to playing with Barzal... sure that is true to some extent, but in Kolesar's case so far in the playoffs, he has done this without Barzal. Barzal has been out of the lineup all playoffs so far and Kolesar has turned up his game massively with Barzal's absence.

A VERY impressive power forward. Skates very well for a kid his size. Has great hands and plays in all situations. Ive always said he looks like a football player that plays hockey(extremely thick kid off ice). Very big/muscular kid that can fight and is next to impossible to push off the puck. IMO he is a very impressive/intriguing prospect

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Seems built like Josh Anderson.

And hes leaned up the last couple years. he could be a monster but he realized for hockey the extra weight hurt him. His biological father was a 6'0 240lb linebacker in the NFL and CFL so its safe to say a lot of those genes got passed down

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
2 goals tonight, including the game winning goal with 20 seconds left in regulation

2-1 win in game 3 over Kelowna. Kelowna's goal also scored by CBJ prospect Calvin Thurkauf.

Seattle had a 7:1 ratio of penalties in Kelowna tonight. Wasn't at this game but it seems a little one-sided.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Yes the shots were in favor of Kelowna 35-14 but Kolesar and the Thunderbirds found a way. And it's not like it's a fluke game for Kolesar either, he's got 22 points in 11 games now.

Yeah, I'm well aware of who he is --wanted my Bruins to draft him a few years ago as he would have been a perfect fit for the what the team is supposed to be (but no longer is). Your CBJs seem to have a good one here, I thought his foot speed was better than advertised.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, I'm well aware of who he is --wanted my Bruins to draft him a few years ago as he would have been a perfect fit for the what the team is supposed to be (but no longer is). Your CBJs seem to have a good one here, I thought his foot speed was better than advertised.

It's funny cause I think a lot of people assume he would struggle with his skating cause hes such a massive human.... But, he is one of the faster guys when starting skating from a stop position. And good luck stopping him when he is in full stride, its like trying to stop a 240 pound running back coming full speed at you. There is no issue with his skating what so ever.

A VERY VERY powerful kid. He is becoming the difference maker for the TBirds this playoffs. Playing on a whole different level. Ive always described him as a football player on ice

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Big game to finish the WHL playoffs with the scoring title and 31 points. Big, strong, defensively responsible and adding offense Columbus and fans are all excited im sure. Jenner, Anderson and Kolesar hopefully all skating in the same lineup someday will be bruising but also not hurting their team as they can actually play hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad