W Keegan Kolesar - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 69th, CBJ)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Has been arguably my biggest draft sleeper from the WHL so far this year. Steady production with an increased role along with nice growth in all areas of his game compared to last year. Thinks the defensive side of the game at an elite level. There's no doubt in my mind that he's at least a 5th or 6th rounder on my own board right now.

From my November draft rankings:

27 (HM) – Keegan Kolesar – RW/LW – Seattle Thunderbirds – A big rugged winger with elite defensive hockey sense. Is always in the proper defensive position and seems to pride himself on his play away from the puck. Wins plenty of battles along the walls, plays physical and does have the ability to provide some offence. A potential great value pick late in the draft.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2014/11/2015-nhl-draft-rankings-second-edition.html

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks for starting a thread him!.. I can see him steadily rising. Kid is an absolute BEAST off ice. Honestly built like a NFL football player and hes only 17 and will continue to get bigger. Will be a scarey kid when hes 19

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I wanted to watch a few Seattle games to get a good look at Gropp, but came away liking Kolesar much more. Might be in the minority there, though.

Really love his game, smart in all areas of the ice, especially defensively. He was leaned on defensively often on the PK or when defending a lead in the final minutes of the game. He hits hard and is very hard to move on the forecheck or in front of the net. Saw him get cross-checked a few times in the back and it barely fazed him. On the PP, he showed some surprising patience with the puck and i think he has more to give offensively.

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007
I saw seven Seattle games this year and I concur. Inexplicable how NHLCSS did not have him even C-listed at start of year. A physical specimen who plays hard. Had an amazing game in Brandon--Gordie Howe hat trick, first star in a win over a team that hadn't lost a home game all season. I would take him with a late-second or 3rd rounder in a heartbeat.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
His biggest issue is not being consistent every game. Some fans may watch him and become a HUGE fan and compare him to other 1st round ranked players. Other fans may see a game that he is invisible and doesnt use his size to his advantage. Ive seen both sides and trust me when he is on his game, he is a freak of a human. He is huge and has extremely good hands and can skate real well. I am not sure what round he will get drafted, but I think he will be one of those kids when he is 19, people will wonder how he wasnt drafted higher.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Another goal and an assist tonight. 5 points in his last 4 games including back to back two-point games.

He's already more than doubled his point protection from last year in exactly half as many games. He had 8 points in 60 games last year, he has 18 in 30 games this year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bottom-6 upside but teams always looking for big bodies that are responsible defensively and play a heavy game. Probably a 3rd-4th rounder. Fundamentally solid three-zone player ... most big, gritty junior guys tend to have limited motors and be too static away from the play but that isn't the case here and will hold him in a better stead moving up levels.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Has been arguably my biggest draft sleeper from the WHL so far this year. Steady production with an increased role along with nice growth in all areas of his game compared to last year. Thinks the defensive side of the game at an elite level. There's no doubt in my mind that he's at least a 5th or 6th rounder on my own board right now.

From my November draft rankings:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2014/11/2015-nhl-draft-rankings-second-edition.html

He has really started to step it up since Barzal has been out, great kid, good looking prospect. Not afraid to mix it up as well. I hope he goes high.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I wanted to watch a few Seattle games to get a good look at Gropp, but came away liking Kolesar much more. Might be in the minority there, though.

Really love his game, smart in all areas of the ice, especially defensively. He was leaned on defensively often on the PK or when defending a lead in the final minutes of the game. He hits hard and is very hard to move on the forecheck or in front of the net. Saw him get cross-checked a few times in the back and it barely fazed him. On the PP, he showed some surprising patience with the puck and i think he has more to give offensively.

I think Kolesar is more versatile than Gropp, But as a Winger, I like Gropp's ability to score.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Really playing well since december started. Had 2 goals, 1 assist and 2 pims tonight and just really improving his all around game alot.

In 9 games so far this month he has 6g. 5a. 11pts. +5. 8pims.
Overall stats are 36gp. 13g. 12a. 25pts. +2. 46pims.

He isnt known much around the hockey world YET but I really think he will keep rising in rankings. I think he could easily get into the first 2 or 3 rounds in the draft(currently ranked a "B" prospect after not even being ranked in the previous rankings). Skates real well and has extremely good hands and will fight. Built like an absolute beast as a 17 year old(6'1.5... 219lbs).

Here is a good article on him...
http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2014/12/11/keegan-kolesar-turning-heads-for-thunderbirds/

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Did a recent piece on WHL skaters who offer a great combination of size and skill, with Kolesar fitting the bill.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/02/whl-offers-abundance-of-size-and-skill.html

Keegan Kolesar – RW/LW – Seattle Thunderbirds – 6’1.5 – 219

Games: 59
Goals: 18
Assists: 18
Pts/Game: 0.61
PIM: 73

Kolesar is another guy on this list who has started to look more and more like a player as his skating started to catch up to the rest of his development and the development of others. While his overall speed and quickness remain an area in need of improvement, his overall mobility has come leaps and bounds in recent months. His improved ability to get around the ice has allowed to become a far more effective player than he was earlier in his WHL career and that has shown on the stat sheet. Last year he had 8 points in 60 games as a 16 year old rookie. This year he has shown major versatility, playing up and down the lineup in Seattle while posting 18 goals and 36 points in 59 games. But the offence is only one part of Kolesar’s game. He is great example of a 200 foot player, displaying high-end hockey sense and defensive positioning. He’s also similar to Musil in how “heavy” of a game he plays, winning battles, being physical and just being hard to play against. He also leads the 9 players on this list with a total of 7 fights this year. While he may not have elite hands or may not be a top 6 scorer at any of the next levels he plays at, he is the kind of guy that NHL teams target. He’s a major threat to be a strong top 9 player with the size and versatility that every team needs. I think we’ll see him come off the board before the NHL Draft reaches round 5.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Oh yeah , kolesar is a good offensive player that will drop the gloves. I like his game, Seattle will have a really good team next year

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What is the drop dead date on Fabbro?

Everyone drafted should be back next year (I see who ever picks up Barzal letting him stay in Seattle to gain some more strength/size)

Making up his mind after his season in Penticton ends. Rumor around the rinks is that he wants to play in Seattle next season but his family is pushing hard for NCAA. Tough decision for a 16 year old kid to make when his family is pushing for something different than what he wants.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Making up his mind after his season in Penticton ends. Rumor around the rinks is that he wants to play in Seattle next season but his family is pushing hard for NCAA. Tough decision for a 16 year old kid to make when his family is pushing for something different than what he wants.

Isn't the line of thinking, that you are a top prospect, you go to the CHL?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

I think Fabbro made a terrible mistake not playing in WHL this year if he plans on coming to Seattle. He could have had Theodore as a mentor all this year and then in his draft year next year he would be the man on Tbirds defence as a 17 year old.

Tbirds could be real dangerous next year if Fabbro comes... Fabbro, Barzal, Gropp, Kolesar, Bear etc etc. Seattle is the youngest team in WHL right now and will have majority of team returned next year. I would imagine they will go for it next year and make a couple huge deadline deals at the deadline for a 19 year old(maybe a player like a Brayden Point or something)... someone that is a 19 year old nhl prospect type.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Usually, but not always. There is a contingent of top Canadian prospects over the last 10-15yrs who chose to go to the NCAA, but I'd say in recent years that trend has been lessening more and more. Fabbro/Jost are really the only two surefire NHL prospects from Western Canada, in recent years, who have publicly expressed that they are considering playing in the NCAA.

*disclaimer - I think Fabbro goes to Seattle next year, but it'll be interesting to watch what happens over the next few months.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
HORRIBLE timing... not just for Seattle but also individually for the draft. He has been a steady riser in rankings lately

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Finished the year as my 21st ranked WHL player for the 2015 NHL Draft: http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

#21 Keegan Kolesar

Team: Seattle Thunderbirds
Position: RW/LW
Shoots: R
Height: 6’1.25
Weight: 217
GP: 64
Goals: 19
Assists: 19
Pts/Gm: 0.59
PIM: 85

Player Analysis: Keegan Kolesar is a strong and smart two-way forward for the Seattle Thunderbirds…his skating isn’t great but has shown massive signs of improvement in the past calendar year…owns a powerful driving stride although his feet remain a tad heavy in acceleration…top speed is good and overall skating mechanics are fine…I feel that his skating issues wouldn’t be nearly as apparent if he was closer to 200 pounds rather than 220…overall speed, acceleration and general quickness will need to continue to show improvement to play and truly make an impact at the next level…protects the puck extremely well once he has it…is a monster along the walls and in the corners…wins a lot of battles for loose pucks due to his size, strength and absolute rock-solid body positioning…has a quick stick on the defensive side of the puck, creating a deadly combo when mixed with his positioning smarts…in my opinion he is hands-down the smartest defensive forward from the WHL in this year’s draft class…his solid stick positioning and physical mentality makes him a tough guy to deal with when he’s on the forecheck…plays physical and likes to throw his weight around…not afraid to drop the mitts….had 9 fights this season and 5 as a rookie last year…would classify him more as a solid complimentary offensive player…manages the puck well and is the kind of player a coach trusts due to his sharp instincts and defence-first mindset…I see him as more of a cycling forward rather than a scoring-on-the-rush forward…has good vision and passes the puck well…owns a quick release and a heavy shot…has surprisingly soft hands for a big man…has shown me some rather impressive handles and dekes in situations like the shootout…showed immense versatility throughout the year for Seattle…spent time at RW, LW and even at C on the penalty kill while being the ultimate plug-and-play player in the Thunderbirds top 9 forward group at even strength…while being a PK staple he was also a regular contributor on the powerplay…suffered a broken arm in March, ending his season prematurely before the playoffs started…showed massive improvement both in his play and production this season compared to his rookie year…had only 2 goals and 8 points with 45 PIM in 60 games as a WHL rookie in 2013-14…scored 10.5% of all Seattle’s goals this season, good enough for 7th best among all first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards…was a 1st round pick, 20th overall, by the Thunderbirds at the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft…overall I see him as a heavy, smart, two-way forward who has shown increased confidence offensively…he has a decent goal scoring background going back to bantam and midget so I feel his offensive numbers this year aren’t simply a one-off, even if I don’t see him having true top 6 offensive potential at the NHL level…I think he is the kind of forward all NHL teams would love to have in their bottom 6 as he can play in any situation and not hurt you, possessing the skill to see fill-in minutes higher in the lineup…I see him coming off the board sometime in the 4th or 5th round of the 2015 NHL Draft and would rate him on the higher end of that scale, personally speaking…

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What's the story on this guy, as an Islanders fan I notice he seems to get alot of points with Barzal. The guy is also huge weight wise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad