W Josh Doan (2021, 37th, ARI)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Emerged late in the 2020 draft process. Probably just missed getting drafted. He's continued that into this season, and has had a very good season. Good size and skating. Really good defensive forward who plays very hard. One of the hardest workers in the USHL. Makes a lot of winning plays. Has enough skill. Projects as a bottom lines type of player, but I think he'll probably get drafted this year as an over-ager. And before anyone asks, he is the son of Shane.

Josh Doan at eliteprospects.com

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The son of former NHLer Shane Doan, Josh Doan went undrafted in the 2020 NHL Draft. He struggled in his first season with the Chicago Steel playing in the bottom-six of a stacked team in 2019-20. Doan scored just five goals and nine assists for 14 points in 45 games. The Steel would finish first in the USHL, but the COVID pandemic cancelled the playoffs.

This season, the Steel were again a strong team. However, with some graduations amongst the 2019-20 forward group, Josh Doan was given a much bigger role. He thrived with the added minutes and responsibility. Doan scored 31 goals and 39 assists for 70 points in 53 games. The Steel didn’t miss a beat, again finishing with the best record in the USHL. This time though, they would get to chase the Clark Cup in the USHL Playoffs. Doan and the Steel did not disappoint. He picked up two goals and three assists for five points in eight playoff games as the Steel took home the Cup. Doan will be staying close to home next year. He is committed to playing Division One hockey for the Arizona State Sun Devils.

2021 NHL Draft #77: Josh Doan Scouting Report - LWOS

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Early to mid 2nd. Maybe someone even takes a flyer on him in the late 1st.

There are a lot of people that think this kid is a player.

Coyotes picked up another 2nd to seemingly take Josh. Unique situation with him going to ASU.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Coyotes picked up another 2nd to seemingly take Josh. Unique situation with him going to ASU.

I'm hoping that the Red Wings are smart enough to take him with one of their second round picks before them. He may not have the hands and shot of his dad but the kid has a great work ethic and plays a real heads-up hockey game. Very smart, very strong in the corners, and can play any style of hockey that your team needs.

You can see in that shift by shift video that the kid is a very versatile player. When his defensemen were caught chasing the puck in his zone he had the presence of mind to clean up the front of his net like a 3rd defenseman. Other times he showed an ability to win a corner battle then make a play to the late man coming into the zone for a chance. Near the end of the video he PKs and is literally in the corner with 3 players from the opposite team and has them all tied up fighting for the puck.

I think that he could be anything from a Barclay Goodrow type of 3rd/4th liner that is gritty as hell and kills penalties to a Johan Franzen where he's a big strong guy playing solid defensive hockey all game but out of nowhere decides to take over and dominate for a shift or two per game.

EDIT: There are just some players that have the "it" factor when you watch them, and Doan makes me believe he's got it. When I watch him I see a ton of translatable skills that just make me think that this kid is 100% a future NHLer.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Wouldn’t mind the Jets picking him. Going to a place where his Father’s career started.

Jets are really thin on right hand shot forwards and could use a strong physical player in their system.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
It would be quite funny if someone snagged him from under Arizona's nose, then upsold him back to Arizona later.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Arizona:
lucioano.jpg

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's going to be an effective NHL'er, and if Arizona ever becomes a perennial playoff team will save them from trading firsts for bottom six grinders or giving out bad UFA contracts to bottom six grinders.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
At 17, 1st season in the USHL, 14 points in 45 games
At 18, 2nd season in the USHL, 70 points in 53 games

Now in his 1st NCAA season, at 19, so far 5 points in 2 games.

Great development curve, progress.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He should’ve never passed through the draft once without being selected. I don’t know if he has the upside to justify a top 40 selection. I’d try to take higher upside players in that range. But he’s trending well, although he’s the age of most sophomores, so I wouldn’t assess him compared to freshman.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Disappointed to not see him at least get an invite to the WJC camp. Leading all freshman in points and assists so far this year.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
He should’ve never passed through the draft once without being selected. I don’t know if he has the upside to justify a top 40 selection. I’d try to take higher upside players in that range. But he’s trending well, although he’s the age of most sophomores, so I wouldn’t assess him compared to freshman.
https://mobile.twitter.com/coreypronman/status/1451723828632064004

Most sophomores in college hockey can legally drink in the US (21). Only the most talented guys go straight from HS/Prep School to college.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad