Prospect Info: Vsevolod Komarov, RD Drummondville (QMJHL) - 134th overall in 2022 (Signed)

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

13. Vsevolod Komarov, RHD, 19 (Drummondville Voltigeurs)
A year ago, Komarov averaged 23 minutes a night on the best team in junior hockey, playing to strong on-ice results on a Quebec Remparts team that won the QMJHL title and the Memorial Cup and getting signed. This year, after a trade from the Remparts to the contending Voltigeurs, he’s playing an even bigger role, logging 24-25 minutes a night and producing above a point per game. He’s got a chance to lead all QMJHL D in points and he’s going to likely finish right near the top in goal differential as well while playing in all situations.

Komarov’s a two-way defender who makes life hard on opposing forwards, plays with a physical presence at the junior level, makes a lot of stops and has shown improved offense and comfort on the puck beyond his big point shot (he’s got a mean clapper) this year. He can look a little stilted in his posture, but he’s a good enough skater and he handles his gaps and coverage/assignments well. He puts a lot of pucks through to the net, will jump off the line when he can, and then knows how to position himself to win engagements on pucks. He should become a solid AHL defenseman. I’m not sure if he’ll have an NHL career beyond that but I’d guess he plays some games at some point.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

I'd be surprised if he stays an AHL defenseman. His growth over the past 3 seasons is impressive. He's a dominant player in the CHL and should be nominated as defenseman of the year. If he doesn't make the NHL, it's going to be a disappointment.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I'd be surprised if he stays an AHL defenseman. His growth over the past 3 seasons is impressive. He's a dominant player in the CHL and should be nominated as defenseman of the year. If he doesn't make the NHL, it's going to be a disappointment.
I can tell you are a fan of the sport and the Q in general. Your updates and insight have been much aporeciated. I asked a while back about skating. Specifically what I saw as a flat foot. Klunky. I think if he improves that just a bit, or better, he can earn an NHL check. It is still a concern.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I can tell you are a fan of the sport and the Q in general. Your updates and insight have been much aporeciated. I asked a while back about skating. Specifically what I saw as a flat foot. Klunky. I think if he improves that just a bit, or better, he can earn an NHL check. It is still a concern.

Based on his username, I’ll assume he lives in Quebec. Both the province and the city.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

From an observational standpoint, there are parts of Komarov's game that remind me of Brayden McNabb when he was with Kootenay. The feet are a bit heavy but he plays a strong game positionally and in terms of engagement in his own zone. And then once the puck is in the offensive zone, he's very good at the settled offense part of things - his ability to both pass and shoot, to find open ice and lead his teammates into space/create it is pretty good. It reminds me of McNabb without the ferocious, sometimes borderline hits. His puck moving in transition is also strong - he can kill a play with his stick and get it turned up the ice accurately. There is a player there, it's going to be up to him to get his feet up to speed, but there are parts of the game he is very good at.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

I have season tickets in Quebec, I often visit other rinks around the league and I watch games on the CHL app. I must see about 80-90 QMJHL games per season. That's a lot of hockey if you think about it because I also watch Habs games!

His skating has never bothered him in the Q. His good positioning and his hockey IQ are making up for it. I don't feel like it's going to hold him back.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have season tickets in Quebec, I often visit other rinks around the league and I watch games on the CHL app. I must see about 80-90 games per season. That's a lot of hockey if you think about it because I also watch Habs games!

His skating has never bothered him in the Q. His good positioning and his hockey IQ are making up for it. I don't feel like it's going to hold him back.

He looks stiff but he seems to get where he needs to be. I never think he's out of position or exploited by the way he moves.

(I pirate the hell out of things and watch a bunch of games almost every day because I have no life.)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Bummer, he wasn't the QMJHL defenseman of the month of February after winning it in December and January. He was the runner up though!

Honorable Mention

Vsevolod Komarov – Drummondville Voltigeurs – 12GP, 2G, 10A, 12Pts

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
From an observational standpoint, there are parts of Komarov's game that remind me of Brayden McNabb when he was with Kootenay. The feet are a bit heavy but he plays a strong game positionally and in terms of engagement in his own zone. And then once the puck is in the offensive zone, he's very good at the settled offense part of things - his ability to both pass and shoot, to find open ice and lead his teammates into space/create it is pretty good. It reminds me of McNabb without the ferocious, sometimes borderline hits. His puck moving in transition is also strong - he can kill a play with his stick and get it turned up the ice accurately. There is a player there, it's going to be up to him to get his feet up to speed, but there are parts of the game he is very good at.
I hope I was not being cynical. I think there is a hell of a lot more hockey IQ than McNabb could dream of having. I was commenting on a symptom of a large person. I M 6'7" size 15 feet. We tend not to have the foreaft flexion of smaller lighter people. The flat foot is in reference to the need to establish base in order to support your body. Lemeiux overcame it and hid athleticism allowed him to dare I say light on his feet for a large human. And an NHL immortal in my book. I dream of a guy with Komarovs skill and vision being able to it from the blueline. The production is there. It is whether it can translate. Sergei has probably seen him live. They way you can tell progress is via sound. When the stride sounds smooth, well I digress.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I hope I was not being cynical. I think there is a hell of a lot more hockey IQ than McNabb could dream of having. I was commenting on a symptom of a large person. I M 6'7" size 15 feet. We tend not to have the foreaft flexion of smaller lighter people. The flat foot is in reference to the need to establish base in order to support your body. Lemeiux overcame it and hid athleticism allowed him to dare I say light on his feet for a large human. And an NHL immortal in my book. I dream of a guy with Komarovs skill and vision being able to it from the blueline. The production is there. It is whether it can translate. Sergei has probably seen him live. They way you can tell progress is via sound. When the stride sounds smooth, well I digress.

I didn't take it for cynicism. :D

I can see him in a 2-way role who is good for their transition-gifted LHD because he's good at the basics of defending already, has the brain and stick to make clean puck movement and then in the zone - handled by his partner or others - he's got abilities to keep the play alive and create dangerous opportunities for. The one weakness(ish) is leading the rush but for his peer group, he's not a slouch getting into a lane. And I could be off and he adds more jump and they have someone who can also handle that aspect too. There could be a nice, complementary player to draw out who can fill many roles well but need not be pigeon-holed into just being a PMD or offenseman. It's an interesting spot - he's got the offensive chops at the junior tier that most pro defensemen exhibit even if the future is in a more defensive role.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I didn't take it for cynicism. :D

I can see him in a 2-way role who is good for their transition-gifted LHD because he's good at the basics of defending already, has the brain and stick to make clean puck movement and then in the zone - handled by his partner or others - he's got abilities to keep the play alive and create dangerous opportunities for. The one weakness(ish) is leading the rush but for his peer group, he's not a slouch getting into a lane. And I could be off and he adds more jump and they have someone who can also handle that aspect too. There could be a nice, complementary player to draw out who can fill many roles well but need not be pigeon-holed into just being a PMD or offenseman. It's an interesting spot - he's got the offensive chops at the junior tier that most pro defensemen exhibit even if the future is in a more defensive role.
He is a very interesting prospect no doubt...and I always root for the big man.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And his fourth point, assisting on a shorty, Justin Cote's second goal of the game to make it 6-2 for the Volts.

Edit - now 7-2. Charlottetown is getting run out of the barn now.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
And his fourth point, assisting on a shorty, Justin Cote's second goal of the game to make it 6-2 for the Volts.

Edit - now 7-2. Charlottetown is getting run out of the barn now.

He's helping Quebec at the same time with that win against Charlottetown. The 1st pick Quebec got from Drummondville in his trade originally belonged to Charlottetown. With the loss, the pick is back in the Draft lottery for 1st overall.

Win-Win

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's helping Quebec at the same time with that win against Charlottetown. The 1st pick Quebec got from Drummondville in his trade originally belonged to Charlottetown. With the loss, the pick is back in the Draft lottery for 1st overall.

Win-Win

It's impressive how stacked the Volts are on RD with Komarov, Lamoureux, and Diotte.

Reactions: SergeConstantin74

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
2-1 today. Drummondville is down 3-5 in the 3rd.

3 goals and 4 assists in 2 games this week. I might be wrong but I'm very confident he's going to be on the QMJHL Team of the Week again!

Reactions: Chainshot

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Bust confirmed
Nice to see the year but a 20-year-old in the Q dominating has limited meaning. If he sticks in the AHL and has a decent year, that will have a lot more meaning. And he might. I really look for skating and hockey smarts as guys level up. The game gets faster as you go pro and hockey smarts are just hard to teach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad