Voynov, should we go after him if he becomes available

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

So, it looks like Voynov is trying to make a comeback to the NHL. That being said should the Wings even attempt to go after him if he does become available? What he did was bad, let's be clear on that part, but he would IMO instantly become the best defensemen for the Wings. Maybe a Nyquist+Jensen trade for him so we can open a forward spot and possibly get a pick back as well.

To Det: Voynov + 3rd
To LA: Nyquist + Jensen

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I really don't want him here, he can go somewhere else.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I assume dismissal isn't the same as acquited right? So how does the law work in this case and why would his criminal record be expunged?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I assume dismissal isn't the same as acquited right? So how does the law work in this case and why would his criminal record be expunged?
Regardless of whether any team signs him, I would start here, and find out exactly what the legalities are.

Any legal beagles around to weigh in here?

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Would be bitterly disappointed in the organization if we pursued him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No way. In real life would you give a guy who is proven to be abusive a job, even if he's qualified? No, most companies wouldn't. This is an actual cultural thing. I would honestly switch teams if we signed him.
If you have substantiated details of the situation, please share them. If not, then this line of thinking really bothers me.

Is it possible that Voynov is guilty as sin of one or more terrible, inexcusable actions? Yes, and if so - regardless of whether he was ever convicted in a court of law - I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

But since I don't have a shred of fact on the matter, other than a tweet posted on a message board, I'm not going to make that snap judgement just yet.

So again... Does anybody have a source or two on what actually happened?

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If you have substantiated details of the situation, please share them. If not, then this line of thinking really bothers me.

Is it possible that Voynov is guilty as sin of one or more terrible, inexcusable actions? Yes, and if so - regardless of whether he was ever convicted in a court of law - I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

But since I don't have a shred of fact on the matter, other than a tweet posted on a message board, I'm not going to make that snap judgement just yet.

So again... Does anybody have a source or two on what actually happened?
Ex-Kings player Slava Voynov spent two months in jail for domestic abuse, but is at Olympics representing Russia

Blood seemed to be everywhere when Redondo Beach police officer Gregory Wiist toured the master bedroom of the multimillion-dollar home on Avenue C.
Around the bed. In the shape of a handprint on the wood floor. On the comforter. In a trail leading to the bathroom.
Marta Varlamova sobbed as Wiist interviewed her around midnight on Oct. 19, 2014. The distraught woman told the officer that her husband Slava Voynov, then a standout defenseman for the Los Angeles Kings, attacked her.
"My blood, all over bedroom and bathroom," Varlamova said in a recording. "And it's not first time."
She added: "He's very aggressive every time."

The court decision has been satisfied, but I don't want that kind of stuff near my locker room.
I'm usually not one to jump on moral bandwagons, but there's enough smoke here.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Absolutely not, don't care how good he is. I hope the NHL gives him a big, collective middle finger, but I'd be appalled by KH bringing him to Detroit.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
No, I wouldn't even consider it. Some actions are unforgivable, Voynov is a POS and I couldn't hope for him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ex-Kings player Slava Voynov spent two months in jail for domestic abuse, but is at Olympics representing Russia

Blood seemed to be everywhere when Redondo Beach police officer Gregory Wiist toured the master bedroom of the multimillion-dollar home on Avenue C.
Around the bed. In the shape of a handprint on the wood floor. On the comforter. In a trail leading to the bathroom.
Marta Varlamova sobbed as Wiist interviewed her around midnight on Oct. 19, 2014. The distraught woman told the officer that her husband Slava Voynov, then a standout defenseman for the Los Angeles Kings, attacked her.
"My blood, all over bedroom and bathroom," Varlamova said in a recording. "And it's not first time."
She added: "He's very aggressive every time."

The court decision has been satisfied, but I don't want that kind of stuff near my locker room.
I'm usually not one to jump on moral bandwagons, but there's enough smoke here.
Thank you for posting this. There's definitely enough information to say that this guy needs to get serious help - and to stay away from others, including the Red Wings, in the process.

Reactions: NickH8

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
NO!!!! Unless we are welcoming those who are and have gotten away with beating women, now! Maybe we should add Semyon Varlamov as well!

I don't care if it was Connor McDavid level ability, they should be in prison, not playing a game for a living that pays them extreme amounts of money.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Regardless of whether any team signs him, I would start here, and find out exactly what the legalities are.

Any legal beagles around to weigh in here?

The term "dismissal" can mean different things in different contexts. In California:
What is a dismissal?

If you were convicted of an infraction, a misdemeanor, or a felony and were NOT sentenced to state prison or put under the authority of the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, you can petition for a dismissal (people often use the term “expungement” when talking about a “dismissal.”). You are eligible to request a dismissal if you were given county jail time (including jail time for a felony offense), probation, a fine, or a combination of those three types of punishment rather than being sentenced to state prison. If you make a formal request to the court (petition) for a dismissal, the court will make a decision on your request and may withdraw your guilty or no contest (nolo contendere) plea (or the guilty verdict if you went to trial), and enter a not guilty plea. Then the court will set aside and dismiss the conviction. From that point forward, you are no longer considered to be “convicted” of the offense. Your record will be changed to show a dismissal rather than a conviction.

When are you eligible for a dismissal?

You are eligible for dismissal of a misdemeanor conviction, and the court will dismiss your conviction upon your request, if:
  • You received probation for that conviction and:
  1. You successfully completed probation or obtained early release;
  2. You also have paid all restitution and other payments that were ordered as a term of probation;
  3. You are not currently serving another sentence or on probation for another offense; AND
  4. You are not currently charged with another offense.
  • You never received probation and:
  1. Your conviction was a misdemeanor or an infraction;
  2. It has been at least 1 year since the date you were convicted;
  3. You have complied fully with the sentence of the court;
  4. You are not currently serving another sentence;
  5. You are not currently charged with another offense; AND
  6. You have obeyed the law and lived an honest and upright life since the time of your conviction.
See http://www.courts.ca.gov/1070.htm.

So yes, it's different from an "acquittal," which Black's Law Dictionary defines as "[t]he legal certification, usu. by jury verdict, that an accused person is not guilty of the charged offense; an official statement in a court of law that a criminal defendant is not guilty. "

Last edited:

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
How did he respond to his offense? Has he changed? What sort of person is he now? I'd want to talk to his wife and learn more before deciding whether he's someone who Detroit should consider giving a second chance.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad