Voynov, should we go after him if he becomes available

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I think he should be suspended by the nhl for 25% of the season.

And if we were a 2nd pairing defenseman away from winning the cup I'd say maybe. But since were not, no I dont want him.

In cases like this regardless of what the public opinion is the courts decisions is what employers should go by. Now maybe he shouldve done more than 2 months of jail time( I think so but my opinion doesnt matter)? But that's not our decision.

Fact is he is a free man. But if a team were interested in signing him, I'd interview his wife and get her take on things before I'd even consider it.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I believe people can change and I will not cast the 1st stone. If a team does due diligence into his current state, then fine, let him get a job. I don't think he would be a good choice for our re-build

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't care about the private life. Things have happened and they are now in the past. Patrik Roy did beat his wife and was a three-time Conn Smythe winner. We hated him, but would have loved him as our goaltender.

Voynov is definitely the best defencemen-not-in-NHL at the moment. Add a righty, would fill our hole.

I would throw 6M to him and call it a day.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Just to play devils advocate here, why do people like Chris Brown and Ray Lewis not to mention the countless others get a pass but not Voynov?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Just to play devils advocate here, why do people like Chris Brown and Ray Lewis not to mention the countless others get a pass but not Voynov?

I think you would have to ask someone who hates Voynow but loves Chris Brown. I dislike both.
Did Ray Lewis beat his wife? Or are you referencing him because of the murder charge?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
No thanks.

Yes people can change, but that doesn't mean they should get back their job as a highly paid entertainer.

Can you imagine Voynov at events like Jimmy's home run derby, signing autographs for kids? "Stay in school kids. And don't hit your wife, choke her, kick her when she's on the ground, then push her into your tv."

His wife was pleading for guests at the party to help her but didn't speak English well enough to get help.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think you would have to ask someone who hates Voynow but loves Chris Brown. I dislike both.
Did Ray Lewis beat his wife? Or are you referencing him because of the murder charge?
His murder charge, but there are a ton more examples that I'm sure we can find a person that you do like so the question still stands. Why doesn't Voynov get a pass like the countless others that have?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
His murder charge, but there are a ton more examples that I'm sure we can find a person that you do like so the question still stands. Why doesn't Voynov get a pass like the countless others that have?
I know what you're getting at, but I don't personally give Ray Lewis or Chris Brown a pass. But they're also not a potential candidate to play defense for the Wings.

And thankfully I think we're becoming more aware of these incidents and NOT giving people the pass they've gotten in the past.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I don't care about the private life. Things have happened and they are now in the past. Patrik Roy did beat his wife and was a three-time Conn Smythe winner. We hated him, but would have loved him as our goaltender.

Voynov is definitely the best defencemen-not-in-NHL at the moment. Add a righty, would fill our hole.

I would throw 6M to him and call it a day.
Patrick Roy was charged with "criminal mischief" when police responded to a 911 hangup call. Charges were later dropped. It's not a great look but is still a world apart from what Voynov did and was convicted of.

There's no evidence Roy beat his wife that I know of and your statement veers into the territory of libel.

(I just threw up in my mouth a little for defending Roy)

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I know what you're getting at, but I don't personally give Ray Lewis or Chris Brown a pass. But they're also not a potential candidate to play defense for the Wings.

And thankfully I think we're becoming more aware of these incidents and NOT giving people the pass they've gotten in the past.
I agree, I tend to keep a grudge with celebs that I think are a POS.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

Because Chris Brown fans are utter morons and Lewis plead to a lesser charge and the other two men involved were acquitted.

Neither makes Voynov someone I want on a team I root for, nor do they mean I'm suddenly motivated to care less about the fact that he's a terrible person (edit: that was an unexpected masked word).

He can have a second chance somewhere else, doing something else. I, personally, wouldn't hire him to mow my lawn.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Patrick Roy was charged with "criminal mischief" when police responded to a 911 hangup call. Charges were later dropped. It's not a great look but is still a world apart from what Voynov did and was convicted of.
Bobby Hull is still revered by many (maybe not the younger crowd) today and we all know about his past. I think a team might give him a chance.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Absolutely not, would question the morality of anyone who wants that POS.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I believe people can change and I will not cast the 1st stone. If a team does due diligence into his current state, then fine, let him get a job. I don't think he would be a good choice for our re-build

I believe people can change as well, but it doesn't happen magically. You have to want to change and seek the proper routes and the proper help to start that change. I've never heard any remorse from Voynov, never heard him speak out against domestic violence and I've never heard anything indicating he is seeking treatment or counseling for his issues and for his relationship issues. Had he been seeking a positive change I might be ok with giving him a shot. But like most bullies and abusers, he likely thinks those types of things are for Homophobic Slurs and sissies.
I would be very pissed if the Wings signed someone like that. I had a very hard time even having Bertuzzi on our team and was thrilled when he was gone.

Reactions: RabidBadger

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't want guys like this on my team. Thankfully given the Front Office's focus on character and being a quality person off the ice I would be utterly shocked if we sign him.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I believe people can change as well, but it doesn't happen magically. You have to want to change and seek the proper routes and the proper help to start that change. I've never heard any remorse from Voynov, never heard him speak out against domestic violence and I've never heard anything indicating he is seeking treatment or counseling for his issues and for his relationship issues. Had he been seeking a positive change I might be ok with giving him a shot. But like most bullies and abusers, he likely thinks those types of things are for ******s and sissies.
I would be very pissed if the Wings signed someone like that. I had a very hard time even having Bertuzzi on our team and was thrilled when he was gone.
I agree with you for the most part. Not to stick up for him but most violent people were abused as children (parental, sexual, etc). Obviously he needs professional help. We just don't know the whole story and are speculating.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Maybe if he was younger or if our team was a contender or if he didn’t beat the absolute dogshit out of his wife on more than one occasion....

Don’t see any team interested honestly.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would look nice at Flyers with Provorov.

If I would be Hextall, I would sign him and tell that, "If you ever beat your wife again, Dave Schultz is gonna beat you."

GrafSk8r12

Jul 4, 2011
Bobby Hull is still revered by many (maybe not the younger crowd) today and we all know about his past. I think a team might give him a chance.

The fact that this is a thing greatly annoys me. I have a co-worker who became a huge Blackhawks fan in 2010 (big surprise), and he was speaking very highly of Bobby Hull one day. I mentioned Hull's domestic violence history. My co-worker has a strong moral compass, so it surprised me when this information was pretty much in one ear and out the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->