Voracek: worst case scenario

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think he'll sign an extension this month.

What happened to patience? The guy is coming off far and away the biggest year of his career. Continuing on that route isn't going to make his value go up, but if he doesn't put up similar numbers it could come down. Didn't Homer take a lot of flack for signing Giroux after a good year or something?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What happened to patience? The guy is coming off far and away the biggest year of his career. Continuing on that route isn't going to make his value go up, but if he doesn't put up similar numbers it could come down. Didn't Homer take a lot of flack for signing Giroux after a good year or something?

You don't want to go into this season with him unsigned and then having his agent in his ear all year about becoming a UFA and having a bidding war on him.

I see him as a 70 point guy....not an 80 point one. But he is also not replaceable by us and losing him would set us back....unless the deal was a very good one.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You don't want to go into this season with him unsigned and then having his agent in his ear all year about becoming a UFA and having a bidding war on him.

I see him as a 70 point guy....not an 80 point one. But he is also not replaceable by us and losing him would set us back....unless the deal was a very good one.

I'm totally fine with it, I just remember people being upset with Giroux I think or someone else when he was signed after a good season or something.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm totally fine with it, I just remember people being upset with Giroux I think or someone else when he was signed after a good season or something.

Certainly not G. Nothing wrong with paying your best players market value. Both G and Jake gave us multiple years of being underpaid.

In fact, not sure who you could be referring to. Not G or Jake. Not Simmonds. Not Couts or BSchenn. Nit Read. Then no other forward fits your bill....and all our D certainly don't. MAYBE Mason if certain people believed that his turnaround was a fluke with us. But he squashed that thought last year.

So not sure who you are thinking of.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Certainly not G. Nothing wrong with paying your best players market value. Both G and Jake gave us multiple years of being underpaid.

In fact, not sure who you could be referring to. Not G or Jake. Not Simmonds. Not Couts or BSchenn. Nit Read. Then no other forward fits your bill....and all our D certainly don't. MAYBE Mason if certain people believed that his turnaround was a fluke with us. But he squashed that thought last year.

So not sure who you are thinking of.

He's actually right. Lots of people were very upset that we signed Giroux to what they thought was an ungodly 8+ mil cap hit so quickly. It was one of the dumber collective reactions this forum has had to a signing.

Many people wanted to wait to ensure Giroux was for real. They also failed to adapt to the fact that long term deals couldn't dummy the cap hit to artificially fall below $7m.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's actually right. Lots of people were very upset that we signed Giroux to what they thought was an ungodly 8+ mil cap hit so quickly. It was one of the dumber collective reactions this forum has had to a signing.

Many people wanted to wait to ensure Giroux was for real. They also failed to adapt to the fact that long term deals couldn't dummy the cap hit to artificially fall below $7m.

And then right after that people lost their **** because he had a slow start to the season. :laugh:

There's a certain two posters that stick out most prominently in my mind that did, and still do, whine about Giroux.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Giroux was going to be an RFA, not a UFA, so the situation is not quite the same.

Also there was reasonable concern that Giroux's slow start to the 13-14 season was the result of the golfing accident that happened a month after his signed the contract.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have no doubt that Voracek will be extended. There's not a single reason we wouldn't. We are about to transition to a much younger, cheaper defense. We only have one 1 high priced forward locked up long term in Giroux. Snake will get signed and be the first person Giroux hands the Cup off too :)

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

The brass already are putting numbers together as to what his worth will be. You can kiss those home town discounts goodbye. This contract is going to be big for Jake and he knows it. Time will tell.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The brass already are putting numbers together as to what his worth will be. You can kiss those home town discounts goodbye. This contract is going to be big for Jake and he knows it. Time will tell.

Yeah...I expect he will be at 8 million. When ROR gets 7.5, you can't go below him. And I would be pushing that he doesn't go above G.

Somewhere in the middle is what I expect.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Wouldn't the worst realistic case scenario(where he doesn't get hit by a cement truck in the middle of his apartment or something wacky) be that he spends the first half of the season public ally complaining about being on this team and demanding a trade, completely killing trade leverage at the deadline?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wouldn't the worst realistic case scenario(where he doesn't get hit by a cement truck in the middle of his apartment or something wacky) be that he spends the first half of the season public ally complaining about being on this team and demanding a trade, completely killing trade leverage at the deadline?

I know you are joking, but if he and Giroux got thru last year by being professionals and leaders, I think this coming season is going to be a breath of fresh air to them.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
I know you are joking, but if he and Giroux got thru last year by being professionals and leaders, I think this coming season is going to be a breath of fresh air to them.

he was clearly frustrated at the end of last season but he has to be optimistic at the positive changes with hextall at the helm moving forward.

and even while frustrated last season he sure didnt roll over, he worked his ass off prior to and during the entire season. just pay him his 8m per and move on....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad