Voracek: worst case scenario

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Suppose Voracek indefinitely stalls contract negotiations or prices himself out. Does Hextall:
- Trade him before the season starts for maximum value.
- Wait in hopes that he re-signs later.
- Trade him at the deadline if the Flyers are out of the playoff picture.
- Keep him throughout the season and risk losing him to UFA.

How would each option impact the team's direction, and what kind of return would the Flyers seek should they decide to trade him?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Voracek isn't a player you let go to UFA status. If he prices himself out of philly or stalls he is someone you try to return max value on asap. He doesn't have a NMC/NTC (or so i think) so you can really throw out feelers anywhere and everywhere. I would think a player of his caliber could snag someone like Seth Jones or equivalent.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Suppose Voracek indefinitely stalls contract negotiations or prices himself out. Does Hextall:
- Trade him before the season starts for maximum value.
- Wait in hopes that he re-signs later.
- Trade him at the deadline if the Flyers are out of the playoff picture.
- Keep him throughout the season and risk losing him to UFA.

How would each option impact the team's direction, and what kind of return would the Flyers seek should they decide to trade him?

My goodness, Norm, let's not panic yet, it's only July 2. Hexy is trying to find a place for Vinny and AMac and do a deal for MDZ. .

He has all summer to sign Jake after that and he will.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He gets hit in-between the eyes by a stray serve from his friend Kvitova while watching Wimbledon... the ball is somehow covered with Onchocerca volvulus which get into Voraceks eyes and lead to blindness.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
There about one million other moves before not resigning Voracek would even be on the table.

Edit: Or you could frame it the way Appleyard did lol

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
He gets hit in-between the eyes by a stray serve from his friend Kvitova while watching Wimbledon... the ball is somehow covered with Onchocerca volvulus which get into Voraceks eyes and lead to blindness.

That would certainly be a bad scenario, but I think we could come up with worse.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Voracek doesn't seem to be that type of guy we will have problem signing. He obviously will be paid, but it shouldn't be an issue. Something around 8M per. He's worth it.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
A young Marian hossa, jakub voracek is. If we trade him, it will require a huge price. If we do not sign him long term, then that would be one of the dumbest moves in flyers history, and hexy appears to be a brilliant gm. Therefore this thread is silly

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That would certainly be a bad scenario, but I think we could come up with worse.

I was proposing a realistic scenario though... as Jake is in London right now and Imperial College London did quite a bit of research on Onchocerca volvulus about ~6 years ago... and while Imperial College is about 6 miles from Wimbledon, the Wimbledon balls actually have to go through Heathrow, and the quickest way from Heathrow to Wimbledon traverses the A4, which is the road Imperial College is just off! (albeit you would turn right about 2 miles before getting to the left turn for Imperial College.)

So maybe there would be worse scenarios... but this one is quite realistic, albeit has a minor to middling chance of happening.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I was proposing a realistic scenario though... as Jake is in London right now and Imperial College London did quite a bit of research on Onchocerca volvulus about ~6 years ago... and while Imperial College is about 6 miles from Wimbledon, the Wimbledon balls actually have to go through Heathrow, and the quickest way from Heathrow to Wimbledon traverses the A4, which is the road Imperial College is just off! (albeit you would turn right about 2 miles before getting to the left turn for Imperial College.)

So maybe there would be worse scenarios... but this one is quite realistic, albeit has a minor to middling chance of happening.

This is a good point.

I think my worst case scenario would be something along the lines of him being re-signed for 8x8 with a full NMC, but then something happening to where he just wasn't an effective player anymore. He could still play, but is a shell of his former self. Like maybe he lost 3 fingers in a freak fishing accident and can't grip his stick right, but refuses to retire and we can't afford to not play him.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This is a good point.

I think my worst case scenario would be something along the lines of him being re-signed for 8x8 with a full NMC, but then something happening to where he just wasn't an effective player anymore. He could still play, but is a shell of his former self. Like maybe he lost 3 fingers in a freak fishing accident and can't grip his stick right, but refuses to retire and we can't afford to not play him.

We can then just plant some drugs on him whenever he plans on going back to the Czech Republic and hey presto, when he is stopped at the border we can terminate his contract before he is actually charged!

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Is this really a crazy conversation to have? By all accounts, Voracek was tremendously frustrated at the end of last season. He's worked harder than anyone to take his game to the next level but it hasn't translated to team success. Meanwhile, the Flyers haven't made any significant moves to improve the roster other than fire Berube, whom he seemed to have a great relationship with. Voracek's in the midst of his prime and must commit where he spends the rest of his best years. It's certainly feasible that he has doubts.

The longer Voracek remains unsigned throughout the season, the lower his trade value. If Hextall finds talks going poorly, an early trade may be the best option.

I'm not saying I want this to happen or think this will happen, but it's worrying.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Is this really a crazy conversation to have? By all accounts, Voracek was tremendously frustrated at the end of last season. He's worked harder than anyone to take his game to the next level but it hasn't translated to team success. Meanwhile, the Flyers haven't made any significant moves to improve the roster other than fire Berube, whom he seemed to have a great relationship with. Voracek's in the midst of his prime and must commit where he spends the rest of his best years. It's certainly feasible that he has doubts.

The longer Voracek remains unsigned throughout the season, the lower his trade value. If Hextall finds talks going poorly, an early trade may be the best option.

I'm not saying I want this to happen or think this will happen, but it's worrying.

You're first paragraph is entirely speculation and could be applicable to every single NHLer.

The Flyers have never had issues with retaining their best players. Jake will be wearing orange and black for years to come.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's pointless to worry about it at this juncture. Hextall said him & his agent will talk later in the week. That's the only info we have to go off right now.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Worst case scenario is I have to read other threads as ridiculous as this one before he signs.

There is absolutely zero reason to worry about this before there's even the slightest shred of reason to think it'll be a problem.

Makes as much sense as making a thread worrying about if we'll be able to re-sign Sanheim/Provorov/Morin/Ghost or if he'll want too much in 6 years.... too early to worry about it so just calm down.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
You're first paragraph is entirely speculation and could be applicable to every single NHLer.

The Flyers have never had issues with retaining their best players. Jake will be wearing orange and black for years to come.
Of course it's speculation, but so is the assurance that he'll re-sign. None of us have any idea what he's thinking.

One reason the Flyers never had issues with retaining their best players is because they promised the playoffs every season, and usually delivered. While that philosophy shot the team in the foot more often than not, attracting the best signees can be challenging if you aim too low.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I'm comfortable with him making $8.275 and wouldn't be upset if he gets $8.75 (slightly more than Perry).

Can't believe only 3 Dmen are signed through this season (in a good way) at the moment. You have to think at least 2 ELCs will be on the blue line. Umberger will probably be bought out too. The space for Voracek is there.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'm pretty sure Voracek enjoys where he's at. Probably more than the uncertainty of going to a completely new franchise or the likelihood that his new linemates wouldn't amount to playing with a player of Giroux's caliber.

If the Flyers extend him a fair offer, I'm almost positive that he'll want to spend the rest of his prime here. It's not like the Flyers are heading down a black hole either. They're taking the necessary steps to correct the flaws to put themselves into contention.

Edit: What's with all the contrarian "I'm not saying, I'm just saying" posts lately? It's gone full DFF at times.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Even if Jake did think about UFA, the thing is with guys going to their '1st round' of UFA is they are usually in their prime... that means they will want to be a de-facto 1st liner on a contender:

Likely ruled out due to having 1RW tied up that means Jake not a fit for one or the other:

Anaheim
Chicago
Washington
Pittsburgh
LA

Likely ruled out due to cap at that point (ie resigning their top players next year or 2018 a priority, or that they will not have ~9mill room by an stretch next year.):

Tampa
Minnesota
Vancouver
Detroit
San Jose
Montreal
Dallas

Ruled out due to internal budget:

Phoenix
Nashville
Florida
St. Louis

I mean... without thinking too hard that is over half the league that would very likely have a hard time being in on him without consciously trying to make space before FA even hit with no guarantee he would sign.

That would leave:

New Jersey
Rangers
Islanders
Sabres
Leafs
Jets
Blue Jackets
Hurricanes
Senators
Avalanche
Bruins
Oilers
Flames

Of those: Islanders, Sabres, Jets, Blue Jackets, Avalanche, Oilers and Flames seem to be teams who could be legit contenders in the not so distant future... but the Oilers and Sabres are not going to be playoff teams next year most likely, and the Avalanche and Blue Jackets will be cusp teams on paper.

That leaves the Isles, Jets and Flames who are teams that seem a decent fit financially and positionally, are already in the playoff hunt and will likely contend for sometime.

And on the Jets and Flames he likely does not have a player as good as Giroux to play with.

That is the reason most top guys at their first UFA period resign, they are already in a good position personally, know the team, mesh well, and there are never as many realistic fits as people imagine.

I mean, a lot can change in a year, but the likelihood is if Jake for some reason wanted to go to UFA there would probably not be that many more attractive landing places than Philly. And a minimal amount so much better you risk a move and hope you mesh. (as Chicago, Tampa, Anaheim would be.)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We're just approaching the 48 hour mark since Jake has been eligible to sign an extension. The guy was just at Wimbeldon today which is a pretty good indication that he's not at that point in the summer where he fully shifts his attention to only hockey.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
And Appleyard he gets to play with his best buddy Simmonds in Philly. He has a pretty good situation here in Philly and will likely be a key part in contending in a few years. I doubt he walks.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
We're just approaching the 48 hour mark since Jake has been eligible to sign an extension. The guy was just at Wimbeldon today which is a pretty good indication that he's not at that point in the summer where he fully shifts his attention to only hockey.

And he was wearing a Phillies cap! :handclap:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And he was wearing a Phillies cap! :handclap:

He wore that hat because he refused to wear a Flyers hat and is leaving as soon as he can. :sarcasm:

The good thing with Jake, is that he HAS seen what it is like playing for another team where it wasn't working out for him.

People often look to leave due to the thought of "grass is greener on the other side". Well for Jake, we are the other side and it helped take his game to the next level. As long as we are offering from 7.5-8-5 million, he really should have no reason to leave. He has a top C to play with every night and a best friend in Simmonds there too.

The one thing on the flip side is that in the past, Jakes contract negotiations have dragged on longer than we all expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad