NFL: Vontaze Burfict suspended for first 3 games of 2016 season

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sounds about right. It was a very dangerous and stupid play so he deserves the suspension.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Honestly, that suspension is baseless and absurd and the rhetoric in its wake is even worse.

The play was reckless and dangerous, but not even the dirtiest play of that game, let alone of all time as the suspension seemingly implies. The fact of the matter is Burfict has never been suspended, and this three game suspension is unprecedented and unjustified.

Burfict, unlike Shazier against Gio and Mitchell a few weeks prior against Eifert, did not target Bryant's head. He came in late, and it was unnecessary, but led low with the shoulder.

A one game suspension for each of Burfict, Shazier, and Porter would be appropriate in this case. I have to imagine Burfict wins his appeal when he undoubtedly files for it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Mullichicken25... did you miss his hit against Baltimore that was under review, too? Or the fact he has a past history? Or.... anything?

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Mullichicken25... did you miss his hit against Baltimore that was under review, too? Or the fact he has a past history? Or.... anything?

And the suspensions doled out for his previous actions were...?

He's no Boy Scout, and I'll never claim otherwise, but a three game suspension is baseless.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
And the suspensions doled out for his previous actions were...?

He's no Boy Scout, and I'll never claim otherwise, but a three game suspension is baseless.

They do look at those previous actions when suspending him. He was probably lucky he didn't get suspended before.

In four NFL seasons, Burfict had been fined for using his helmet as a weapon, hitting a defenseless receiver, striking an opponent in the groin, twisting an opponent’s ankle (twice in one game), grabbing the facemask, roughing the passer – and those are just some we know of.

The NFL usually doesn’t disclose fines unless reporters inquire about specific plays, so it wasn’t known until Monday that Burfict also was fined $50,000 for decking Baltimore Ravens rookie tight end Maxx Williams with a vicious shot in the regular-season finale six days before he KO’d Brown on national TV.

And that’s after Burfict racked up $69,454 in fines for three violations in a meeting with the Steelers last month. That the Steelers and their coaching staff stoked the fire through their own actions in both games is irrelevant. Each player is responsible for his own actions.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/01/11/vontaze-burfict-suspension-hit-antonio-brown/78659914/

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
BS suspension at only 3 games because we all know what will happen with NFLPA

Should have made it 8 games since we know NFLPA will appeal and it will probably be reduced by half of its term

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Honestly, that suspension is baseless and absurd and the rhetoric in its wake is even worse.

The play was reckless and dangerous, but not even the dirtiest play of that game, let alone of all time as the suspension seemingly implies. The fact of the matter is Burfict has never been suspended, and this three game suspension is unprecedented and unjustified.

Burfict, unlike Shazier against Gio and Mitchell a few weeks prior against Eifert, did not target Bryant's head. He came in late, and it was unnecessary, but led low with the shoulder.

A one game suspension for each of Burfict, Shazier, and Porter would be appropriate in this case. I have to imagine Burfict wins his appeal when he undoubtedly files for it.

Are you kidding me?

Burfict hit was far worse then Shazier and the intention was clear with Burfict

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
BS suspension at only 3 games because we all know what will happen with NFLPA

Should have made it 8 games since we know NFLPA will appeal and it will probably be reduced by half of its term

It'd be good to have those 2 on the same page and understand that protecting ALL of the players from idiots is betterment of the overall good.

6-8 was a message. Cinci should finally try to hold someone accountable (why now?) and add to it. Even if it's 1 extra. That locker room needs a shake up and he's the perfect guy to use as an example.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Can promise you he's going nowhere.

Avs, I get that he's been fined. Players are fined all the time. Where's the precedent for the 3 game suspension?

Then good.. Cinci can keep doing Cinci things. Since 2005 they've constantly cost themselves with these idiotic players.

Culture change is the #1 thing they need. They have a good coach. Accountability and getting rid of the filth is what they've needed for... TEN years.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Jones is 32 and he's FA so it's easy to move on from him and they should.

Burfict is much tougher though. He's only 25 years old and he's a very good player. I wouldn't blame them for keeping him and hoping he can play within the rules after he comes back from suspension.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Then good.. Cinci can keep doing Cinci things. Since 2005 they've constantly cost themselves with these idiotic players.

Culture change is the #1 thing they need. They have a good coach. Accountability and getting rid of the filth is what they've needed for... TEN years.

Despite what the sports media narrative might say, there have been dramatic changes in the culture within the Bengals organization. Outside of this recent attention, things have been very quite in from a personnel conduct perspective for quite some time.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jones is 32 and he's FA so it's easy to move on from him and they should.

Burfict is much tougher though. He's only 25 years old and he's a very good player. I wouldn't blame them for keeping him and hoping he can play within the rules after he comes back from suspension.

Even better to add to his suspension. Send a message. "Get rid" of Jones by letting him walk but making a statement about it. Call Burfect a guy you want to build around but only if he can get the mental aspect of the game down and suspend him 2 additional. I just feel that would REALLY send a message to the team.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs, I get that he's been fined. Players are fined all the time. Where's the precedent for the 3 game suspension?

There probably isn't one. However, he got away with just a fine the previous week for a head shot and then did the same thing again. This was also on a bigger stage and on arguably the best WR in the NFL, which shouldn't matter but probably does. I think he deserved at least two games and don't have a problem with three.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Despite what the sports media narrative might say, there have been dramatic changes in the culture within the Bengals organization. Outside of this recent attention, things have been very quite in from a personnel conduct perspective for quite some time.

Stop using the word "narrative" :laugh: You are just saying that because it sounds like you are making a strong argument. In 2014 they were on a news article that had them at 42 total arrests on the team and landed #1 in arrests in the NFL.

I bet you if you ask any coach around the league, they all know Cinci will do 2 things: Fail in the playoffs and employ questionable characters. If you are a good citizen on that team, you don't have faith with your teammates when the going gets tough. You just say "here we go again" and that's very important. When you face adversity, you must trust your teammates to pull out of it with you. It's part of the culture in the locker room.

It's not "narrative" and it's not made up. There is a reason they are where they are.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Seems like a good length when you factor in his previous incidents. Expect it gets reduced to 2 games on appeal though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad