Confirmed with Link: Volchenkov Suspended 4 games

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
We don't have any homegrown talent besides for a few guys on the blue line. Our forward prospects are dung.

That is not what I mean. I'm talking about guys like Henrique and Clarkson. They need to be locked up. They know the system and guys that stay don't need to be replaced. Also, Loktionov and Josefson have a chance, maybe Tedenby if he can get his game back.

Look, we all know we are in serious need of a top-line winger. But, wasting precious money and cap space on middling NHL free agents to fill that empty void is sure to be a way to make the situation worse. It's not like the only two solutions are to sign Clarkson for $5M a year or sign one the available UFA's.

There are always going to be players available. There are a ton of teams with no cap space next year that can be prime trade partners. That is the route we need to go.

I just don't see how any Devils fan can look at our track record and have any confidence that a high-priced UFA is going to work out. At best, it's an even money proposition to begin with, because a team that signs a UFA is always paying for prior production and that player is almost always past his prime. With us, the problem is compounded because that player has to be able to acclimate himself to the culture that Lou has built here AND be productive.

Lou has made some serious blunders and miscalculations. And he needs to change some of his policies. No denying that. But there is no one else I'd rather be in charge of this team going further.

People complain about the contracts time and again, look at where Parise/Suter's current team is, and where their former teams are. I hate to say it but they may well wind up being worth every penny in the end.

That is a very short-sighted view of the situation. Of course, both us and the Preds were going to fall off. The Wild are doing well, but you know what, Parise and Suter are 30 games into 13 year contracts. Still a honeymoon.

What happens if they lose in the first round for the next 2 or 3 years? I bet no one there will be singing their praises then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
If we penny pinch this summer like we did during the last go around, get ready for him to get another shot or perhaps bargain basement Bobby Butler 2.0. The thought of that happening makes me ill.

If you are referring to this past off season regarding the penny pinching, what would you have wanted this team to do differently?

What was out there that was also reasonable that would have made this team better?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If you are referring to this past off season regarding the penny pinching, what would you have wanted this team to do differently?

What was out there that was also reasonable that would have made this team better?

That's why I'll give Lou a pass for this year. If he goes into next season like this with dollar store replacements though I think that's on Lou (Or Hucksterbeek as well) This team can be constructed a little better. Purge the turds like Poni, and the Kremlin Kone. Poni has been invisible and if Sykora wasn't taken back then Poni sure as hell better not be brought back either.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
That's why I'll give Lou a pass for this year. If he goes into next season like this with dollar store replacements though I think that's on Lou (Or Hucksterbeek as well) This team can be constructed a little better. Purge the turds like Poni, and the Kremlin Kone. Poni has been invisible and if Sykora wasn't taken back then Poni sure as hell better not be brought back either.

It's too bad Poni kind of went back down to earth because the guy has the size to be one hell of a player if he used it more often like we saw last season from him

Depending on Lou's plan, I'd rather have Sullivan back for a year at around 700k-1mil over a good number of the UFA/RFAs we have

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's too bad Poni kind of went back down to earth because the guy has the size to be one hell of a player if he used it more often like we saw last season from him

Depending on Lou's plan, I'd rather have Sullivan back for a year at around 700k-1mil over a good number of the UFA/RFAs we have

If Sullivan produces a point per game the rest of the season I still think he isn't brought back. Lou will Sykora him for next season. Even though I'd rather have him back then Poni, but I'd let the last 8 games decide that. Sullivan caused 2 shorthanded goals almost by himself last night, but he brings offense. We have enough Poni type players as it is.

I'd take back Zubrus, and Patty for sure. Clarkson can go **** himself if he wants to be paid like a 30 goal scorer. Poni believe it or not has one more point than Clarkson does over the last 26 games.:amazed::help:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The Chara's, Parise's and Suter's are the exceptions.

Trouble is, it's not always easy to identify which ones those are at the time of signing.

And like most people on the board, I'm pretty sure this suspension has actually improved our defence.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Appropriate, and like others have said above, most likely his last game as a Devil.

Although with all the hate Volch has gotten, I feel bad for the guy. A ****ing warrior.

All the guy did was be our best shot-blocking and most physical defender for a couple of years.

Until he got exposed as losing a step in the Florida series, I have no problem with his play at all. Since then, he's had a rough go.

Took pucks to the face, played hard every game. He's ok in my book.

As far as the hit goes, the way the guy got racked up twice early in the season (once on that Schenn hit that should have been 10 games) going along the boards just like that - I don't have a problem getting his arms up against a chippy player like Marchand who certainly would take a run.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
After close to 3 years of bashing this guy, people are finally jumping the fence and ganging up on Anton... About ****ing time.

My issue isn't with his play. IMO, he's a clear upgrade to Harrold and does serve a [limited] purpose on this team.

My issue is with his contract. Three more years and an NTC? I don't care how much money he makes, this guy should not be on the team in 2016. With an amnesty buyout we have an opportunity to get rid of him no questions asked.

I like Volch and admire his fearlessness, I really do, but it's in the team's best interest to jettison his contract ASAP.

Oroku Saki*

He's understandably a scapegoat for all the money he makes. But we've seen what our defense looks like without him and I'm pretty sure the record isn't great like people make it out to be. His tenure here is probably over though. Some of these comments are idiotic considering how he put his body on the line for the team every night. Conechenkov Tee Hee.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I don't know what people expected Lou to get on the market. I don't think we needed Semin on this team, and outside of him - there really wasn't much out there.

We weren't going to go out and get a Dman, obviously.

Of the forwards:
Parise Zajac Kovy
Zubrus Elias Sykora
Poni Henrique Clarkson
CBGB

We lost Zach - big hole. People were critical of not bringing back Sykie, but he lost a step and was a liability by playoff time. People were critical of losing Poni, but we got him back.

The plan was clearly to have some progress from Tedenby, Josefsson and Larsson and then be able to maybe deal a healthy Tallinder or someone for another wing. The kids didn't pan out, Tallinder was worthless early, then hurt - and Larsson didn't exactly solidify his spot.

I think Lokti was brilliance. If this team made the playoffs I think Sullivan would have helped too...

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Sure, Volch was a bit inconsistent, but c'mon, he's still good in my books.

And better the demon you know than the demon you don't.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

My issue isn't with his play. IMO, he's a clear upgrade to Harrold and does serve a [limited] purpose on this team.

My issue is with his contract. Three more years and an NTC? I don't care how much money he makes, this guy should not be on the team in 2016. With an amnesty buyout we have an opportunity to get rid of him no questions asked.

I like Volch and admire his fearlessness, I really do, but it's in the team's best interest to jettison his contract ASAP.

You can't compare Harrold with Volch. Both players couldn't be any more different in terms of, well, everything.

Volchenkov is the typical d-men who's game went south the second they inforced those new rules right after the 1st lockout. A big physical d-men who doesn't skate well and is known to throw his weight around while clutching and grabbing is a thing of the past in today's game.

He's no more then our very own version of Derian Hatcher. The guy sucks and if we do amnesty his ass, it's about 2 years too late if you ask me but what can you do.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
You can't compare Harrold with Volch. Both players couldn't be any more different in terms of, well, everything.

Volchenkov is the typical d-men who's game went south the second they inforced those new rules right after the 1st lockout. A big physical d-men who doesn't skate well and is known to throw his weight around while clutching and grabbing is a thing of the past in today's game.

He's no more then our very own version of Derian Hatcher. The guy sucks and if we do amnesty his ass, it's about 2 years too late if you ask me but what can you do.

Volchenkov was a top pairing defenseman for 2 seasons after the lockout, when the anti-"clutch and grab" calls were most frequent. He didn't even play a full season's worth of games before the lockout.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

That's absolute nonsense. The first full season of Volchenkov's career was 2005-06, and the highlight of his career was the 2007 playoffs, when he and Chris Philips formed a killer shut down pairing.

I was against the Volchenkov signing too, but it was because I thought the Devils were already loaded with stay-at-home guys and desperately needed more puck skills at the blue line, but don't try to revise history just to make yourself (and I guess me) look right all along.

Nat

Aug 14, 2011
I think his reckless style to blame. No wonders that he become injury prone and regressing with each year. And his age not helping him either.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I'm sure that blocking all those shots and taking a beating on his legs hasn't helped his speed much.

:laugh:

As soon as I saw your post, I tought of Rick James with his spaghetti legs, crawling back to his limo... "What am I going to do about my legs Eddie Murphy?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad