Injury Report: Vol. 5 (Updates in First Post) | Kessel May Miss Start of Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
They are gonna bench Maatta? Unexpected, but it isn't as if he was having good playoffs.

You have to bench him, he's been brutal and if you don't bench him and he keeps being a liability they're going to regret it. It's do or die the rest of the way,

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
You have to bench him, he's been brutal and if you don't bench him and he keeps being a liability they're going to regret it. It's do or die the rest of the way,

Yeah. As much as I don't like Lovejoy on the 2nd pairing, Matta has been awful. He needs a game off, at the very least.

Thankfully, it seems that both Dumo and Letang are okay. We really can't afford to lose either of them or Daley.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Bennett himself mentioned it.

I think the best thing for Bennett would be to take a year and play in the Swiss league. Less physical, less travel to put a strain on his body and hey, you get to live in Switzerland for a year. A healthy, productive season over there could do a lot for his confidence and maybe put him in a better place mentally to take another run at the NHL.

Good idea. Guy has talent, but is too damn frail. Also, ya know, he could bust his butt in the weight room and actually gain some muscle. Looks like he's never touched a weight in his life.

DragRiver2

Pens fan, hockey fan
Sep 9, 2013
Schultz has played well in every game we've seen him in. The same cannot be said for Maatta. I like this move a lot.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Good idea. Guy has talent, but is too damn frail. Also, ya know, he could bust his butt in the weight room and actually gain some muscle. Looks like he's never touched a weight in his life.

You forgot milk & bubble wrap.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
Maatta needs a complete, healthy, off-season and preseason to get everything right again... Mentally, physically, technically... I don't think his first year was a fluke at all. He's just had some horrid luck health-wise. It's not even an injury prone type thing like Bennett, just straight up unfortunate, horrible luck.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think we'll only see Fleury if he gets some minutes in a relief appearance. Like if Murray gives up 4 and gets pulled, and Fleury can see at least a period of action if not more to get his timing back somewhat.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
It seemed to me like the 3rd period on Friday was the perfect opp. for that. Murray didn't play bad, but the team looked liked ass and needed a spark.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Like that Schultz is getting a chance.
But we still have to hide LJ in the top 4.
He's never played w Daley before either.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
And apparently Ben Bishop is walking around w no issues.
Not ruled out for tonight, though I think that's unlikely.
Bet he's back before the end of the series tho.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Why start a goalie who hasn't played in two months when your current goalie has played exceedingly well?

He played well early on but has been tailing off a bit...

By Round
Round 1: 3-0, 1.33 GAA, .955 SV%, 1 SO
Round 2: 4-2, 2.40 GAA, .926 SV%, 0 SO
Round 3: 0-1, 3.12 GAA, .850 SV%, 0 SO (obviously, only one game in so far)

Rolling 3-Game
Seq 1: 3-0, 1.33 GAA, .955 SV%, 1 SO
Seq 2: 2-1, 1.84 GAA, .935 SV%, 1 SO
Seq 3: 2-1, 2.11 GAA, .920 SV%, 0 SO
Seq 4: 2-1, 1.84 GAA, .935 SV%, 0 SO
Seq 5: 3-0, 1.56 GAA, .954 SV%, 0 SO
Seq 6: 2-1, 2.38 GAA, .933 SV%, 0 SO
Seq 7: 2-1, 2.29 GAA, .915 SV%, 0 SO
Seq 8: 1-2, 2.92 GAA, .885 SV%, 0 SO

The biggest concern at this point is that, if he has another sub-par outing, the Pens are in a very bad spot - they either go with a goalie who's struggled in 3 of his last 4 games (Murray), or a guy who hasn't played hockey in 7 weeks (Fleury).

That's not so say that Murray was awful in those poorer games, but those sub-.900 SV% nights aren't going to win anything in the playoffs regardless of who has them.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He played well early on but has been tailing off a bit...

By Round
Round 1: 3-0, 1.33 GAA, .955 SV%, 1 SO
Round 2: 4-2, 2.40 GAA, .926 SV%, 0 SO
Round 3: 0-1, 3.12 GAA, .850 SV%, 0 SO (obviously, only one game in so far)

Rolling 3-Game
Seq 1: 3-0, 1.33 GAA, .955 SV%, 1 SO
Seq 2: 2-1, 1.84 GAA, .935 SV%, 1 SO
Seq 3: 2-1, 2.11 GAA, .920 SV%, 0 SO
Seq 4: 2-1, 1.84 GAA, .935 SV%, 0 SO
Seq 5: 3-0, 1.56 GAA, .954 SV%, 0 SO
Seq 6: 2-1, 2.38 GAA, .933 SV%, 0 SO
Seq 7: 2-1, 2.29 GAA, .915 SV%, 0 SO
Seq 8: 1-2, 2.92 GAA, .885 SV%, 0 SO

The biggest concern at this point is that, if he has another sub-par outing, the Pens are in a very bad spot - they either go with a goalie who's struggled in 3 of his last 4 games (Murray), or a guy who hasn't played hockey in 7 weeks (Fleury).

That's not so say that Murray was awful in those poorer games, but those sub-.900 SV% nights aren't going to win anything in the playoffs regardless of who has them.

If Maatta doesn't get worked and if there aren't horrific defensive turnovers, the three goals don't happen.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It was never going to be a sustainable as the team moves forward.

You have to expect the other team is going to score goals at some point. Revisit that when the series is over, or if he gets pulled for Fleury.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
that drouin goal wouldve required a pretty close to all time great save

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
that drouin goal wouldve required a pretty close to all time great save

Most people here (there are some, most aren't) aren't really blaming Murray. Really, the only bad goal he allowed on Friday was the rebound for the second goal. That, along with him allowing a few softies in the Caps series, have some people saying that he's just coming back to Earth. Someone said it already, but he has a ~.885 Save % the past three games. That's not going to get you many wins in the playoffs.

He's still been the team's MVP in my eyes throughout the playoffs thus far, and I'm sure a lot of people agree. Not many are criticism him, they're just saying that he has came back to Earth after playing out of his mind in parts of the Washington series. And I tend to agree with that. I don't think it would be a good thing to replace him w/ MAF at this point.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Most people here (there are some, most aren't) aren't really blaming Murray. Really, the only bad goal he allowed on Friday was the rebound for the second goal. That, along with him allowing a few softies in the Caps series, have some people saying that he's just coming back to Earth. Someone said it already, but he has a ~.885 Save % the past three games. That's not going to get you many wins in the playoffs.

He's still been the team's MVP in my eyes throughout the playoffs thus far, and I'm sure a lot of people agree. Not many are criticism him, they're just saying that he has came back to Earth after playing out of his mind in parts of the Washington series. And I tend to agree with that. I don't think it would be a good thing to replace him w/ MAF at this point.

id agree that was a bad goal on an unobstructed shot, but murray had to fight that shot off through a pretty thick screen

HoRneR814

Apr 23, 2014
Maatta needs a complete, healthy, off-season and preseason to get everything right again... Mentally, physically, technically... I don't think his first year was a fluke at all. He's just had some horrid luck health-wise. It's not even an injury prone type thing like Bennett, just straight up unfortunate, horrible luck.

So it is just like Bennett?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
So it is just like Bennett?

Bennett has always been frail and easily injured, whereas Maatta was hardy early on but had two serious medical issues befall him that have likely been lingering and preventing him from playing to his healthy potential ever since. Maatta's situation, unlike Bennett, doesn't seem like anything ongoing so much as it is the fallout from his shoulder surgery and cancer.

HoRneR814

Apr 23, 2014
Bennett has always been frail and easily injured, whereas Maatta was hardy early on but had two serious medical issues befall him that have likely been lingering and preventing him from playing to his healthy potential ever since. Maatta's situation, unlike Bennett, doesn't seem like anything ongoing so much as it is the fallout from his shoulder surgery and cancer.

Except since he has been back he skates like Scuderi is all.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
There was a somewhat interesting aside in a Yohe article today that Sheary is battling a lower body injury. Apparently he was benched because of his play and not due to injury, though it would seem like the two might be related.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
There was a somewhat interesting aside in a Yohe article today that Sheary is battling a lower body injury. Apparently he was benched because of his play and not due to injury, though it would seem like the two might be related.

Personally I think he should be scratched, if BB is ready then insert him in if not then play Sundqvist who is a good skater and stronger on his skates. He would give the Bolts D more problems with his fore-check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad