Injury Report: Vol. 5 (Updates in First Post) | Kessel May Miss Start of Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
PLAYER |TYPE OF INJURY|REPORTED|RECOVERY TIME|POSSIBLE RETURN|STATUS|UPDATED|SOURCE
Kevin Porter | Lower Body | 03.03.16 | 12 Weeks | 05.27 | Skated with Black Aces | 06.09.16 | @CVSethLakso
Scott Wilson | Lower Body | 03.15.16 | Unknown | Unknown | Skated with Black Aces | 06.09.16 | @CVSethLakso
Trevor Daley | Broken Ankle | 05.22.16 | Done for Season | N/A | No other details | 05.22.16 | @penguins
Daniel Sprong | Shoulder Surgery | 06.17.16 | 7-8 month recovery period | 01.17.17 (earliest) | No other details | 06.17.16 | @penguins

Previous injury thread is here
This year, we're going to keep track of all the injuries using this spreadsheet. There are two tabs at the bottom of the page, one for the regular season and another for the playoffs.

« 8.30.16 | Off-Season Updates »
“At this point, based on where he's tracking, (Kessel will be ready for the start of the season), but with surgery like that, you can't say 100 percent for sure,†Rutherford said Monday at the team's annual preseason golf tournament at St. Clair Country Club. “But even if it's not for the start of the season, it wouldn't be that much time.†source

“All the injured guys are tracking in the right direction,†Rutherford said. “Until they all get here, we won’t know 100 percent where they’re at. It sounds like all the guys should be ready for camp.†source

« 7.9.16 | Off-Season Updates »

« 6.23.16 | End of Season Updates »

« 6.17.16 | End of Season Updates »

« 6.16.16 | End of Season Updates »
Kris Letang

Nick Bonino

Brian Rust

Scott Wilson

Tom Kuhnhackl

Murray + Määttä

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wish Wilson was healthy because he'd be the perfect guy to fill in a spot due to injury. Whether it was Rust or taking a game from Kunitz, he's the guy that would have made a difference. These guys are done for the season, though. It's not easy to jump into playoff hockey.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I wish Wilson was healthy because he'd be the perfect guy to fill in a spot due to injury. Whether it was Rust or taking a game from Kunitz, he's the guy that would have made a difference. These guys are done for the season, though. It's not easy to jump into playoff hockey.

Wilson or Bennett (laugh all you want, but it's true) would be about 1 billion times better than this current incarnation of Kunitz.

In going back-and-forth with KIRK over this, it's really just the Kunitz spot. The fact that they have to mitigate the damage he does to the team, the fact that they won't sit him, it makes it impossible to ice their best-possible roster. If you remove him from the equation and you're forced to put someone else with Malkin, the top-9 looks remarkably better.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Imagine how much less the media blowhards would be pouring over Malkin's stats if some of these passes he's made went to Wilson who started to develop some pure finishing ability as opposed to Kunitz who has show some pure shoot-the-puck-into-the-fourth-row ability.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Not a Pens injury update, but still relevant ...

Maybe not ...

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Wilson is still a guy I like a lot going forward. I still think he could be a little of what Kunitz used to be. He definitely has a bit of that recklessness in puck retrieval, but idk if he'll ever have the finish Kunitz once had.

Bennett's situation really sucks. I get that the franchise is likely tired of counting on him to play, but I still think he has show enough flashes to merit sticking around. At least as a 13th forward.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Wilson is still a guy I like a lot going forward. I still think he could be a little of what Kunitz used to be. He definitely has a bit of that recklessness in puck retrieval, but idk if he'll ever have the finish Kunitz once had.

Bennett's situation really sucks. I get that the franchise is likely tired of counting on him to play, but I still think he has show enough flashes to merit sticking around. At least as a 13th forward.

If Beau was/is ready, I'd throw him in over Kunitz. But I mean, obviously that's not going to happen.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Today is an off day, so we might not get a Dumo update until tomorrow. From after the game last night:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dumoulin out would be a huge loss. I argue he's our 2nd most important dman. Terrible hits on him and letang and it's a f-ing joke there's no hearings.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Wilson or Bennett (laugh all you want, but it's true) would be about 1 billion times better than this current incarnation of Kunitz.

In going back-and-forth with KIRK over this, it's really just the Kunitz spot. The fact that they have to mitigate the damage he does to the team, the fact that they won't sit him, it makes it impossible to ice their best-possible roster. If you remove him from the equation and you're forced to put someone else with Malkin, the top-9 looks remarkably better.

At this point, I can't see why Sundqvist isn't a better option, if only because of the addition by subtraction of Kunitz.

He's turned Malkin into a cluster****. Either he's playing it overly safe and criticized for not doing enough OR pressing too much and making reckless mistakes.

He may not be the player he was. But, what you're getting now is because of Sully.

Similar issues with Sid . . . for the life of me, I'll never understand a coach who sees it as wise bench management to neuter two generational talents. Once in a while, I allow myself to wonder what might have been, what still could be, if he (and Geno) just had an organization and coaching that was focused on leveraging their talents instead of handicapping them.

Then I wake up and realize it's the Penguins.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Tampa gets Stamkos back and if Sid & Geno keep playing their offense disappearing act, this series is done in 4.

Beau & Wilson in for Kunitz & Fehr would be a 100x better but no, this team can only give us so much hope before they crush it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Were the stories about Beau thinking of retirement true?

I guess you'll see this summer.

I suspect he'll sign a PTO somewhere else and base whether or not he retires on how that goes.

No way he isn't done as a Penguin.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Were the stories about Beau thinking of retirement true?

Bennett himself mentioned it.

I think the best thing for Bennett would be to take a year and play in the Swiss league. Less physical, less travel to put a strain on his body and hey, you get to live in Switzerland for a year. A healthy, productive season over there could do a lot for his confidence and maybe put him in a better place mentally to take another run at the NHL.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Bennett himself mentioned it.

I think the best thing for Bennett would be to take a year and play in the Swiss league. Less physical, less travel to put a strain on his body and hey, you get to live in Switzerland for a year. A healthy, productive season over there could do a lot for his confidence and maybe put him in a better place mentally to take another run at the NHL.

What sucks for him too was that he was looking good leading up to the injury when Oshie hit, that was HCMS's first game. He'd shown some chemisty with Sid too, and was one of the few players showing some offensive life.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
I think it's safe to Bennett has one of the highest hockey iqs on the team

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yep. Damn shame about Bennett's career.

There were times earlier this season where he was genuinely our best forward, and he looked like he was starting to really come into his own.

Years and years of injuries take their toll, I guess. Both mentally and physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad