Vlasic's scoring

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
So I'm new to hockey future's board (please don't bash me :shakehead) but i saw this comment on a fearthefin article and it put a huge smile on my face (but I'm not sure if it's true), and seeing how sad other sharks fans on this board seem to be (totally justifiable), I guess I thought I should share it. So basically, the guy said that Vlasic not only had more points than Doughty, but had more ES-points than him :yo:. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks :handclap:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Vlasic had more even strength points and ES P/60 then Doughty, yes.

He didn't have more points though.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Essentially Vlasic, at the very least is as good as Doughty 5V5.

Vlasic is not as good as Doughty 5v4, however...

If the Sharks decided to speed up their power play, Vlasic could play a critical role there as well.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Doughty can also take over a game like few others can. That is something Vlasic is missing.

At his best, Vlasic is a great complementary defenseman. At his best, Doughty is a franchise-caliber defenseman.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Doughty can also take over a game like few others can. That is something Vlasic is missing.

At his best, Vlasic is a great complementary defenseman. At his best, Doughty is a franchise-caliber defenseman.

I think the only thing that separates them at this point is the PP.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I think the only thing that separates them at this point is the PP.

Vlasic can absolutely control a game. He's one of the best defensemen int he league, that's a pretty common belief among the hockey world at this point. You don't get to be one of the best d-men in the sport and NOT be able to control a game.

I'd put it like this: (1-5, 5 being best)

Doughty:
Defensively = 4
5vs5 = 4
Powerplay = 5

Vlasic:
Defensively = 5
5vs5 = 4
Powerplay = 3

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Vlasic can control a game because he can essentially neutralize one side of the ice with his skating, positioning and stick work. He's just getting recognition due to his performance at the Olympics.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Vlasic basically gets no PP time. Not saying he would have the same scoring as Doughty if he did, but they would be a lot closer. With Boyle gone, we may see some degree of this.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
But that's not offense, that's defense. Even with all his faults, old Boyle >> Vlasic offensively.

Not 5vs5 he's not.

Moving the puck up ice is offense, Vlasic does that better now than Boyle. 5vs5 Vlasic is actually one of the best at moving the puck up the ice in the league.

Vlasic is productive because he gets the puck up the ice and on net faster than the opposing D can set up. It's not flashy, but it is very effective and players who can do that produce offense more consistently. It's exactly why Boyle is struggling so bad now, he can't move the puck anymore so by the time he gets to the offensive zone the D is setup and he has a much harder job.

Given the situation where the D is setup which player is more likely to score? Boyle. Which is basically what your getting at. That's why good teams can shut us down though, if we wait till they setup, we are basically punching a brick wall.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Vlasic can control a game because he can essentially neutralize one side of the ice with his skating, positioning and stick work. He's just getting recognition due to his performance at the Olympics.

Players who can "control a game" typically do it by controlling all three zones of the ice.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
In TMac's system, I think offense starts with the breakout pass.

In terms of current Sharks D, I think Vlasic does it best followed by Braun. Burns needs a lot of work this season to beat Braun.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Not 5vs5 he's not.

Moving the puck up ice is offense, Vlasic does that better now than Boyle. 5vs5 Vlasic is actually one of the best at moving the puck up the ice in the league.

Vlasic is productive because he gets the puck up the ice and on net faster than the opposing D can set up. It's not flashy, but it is very effective and players who can do that produce offense more consistently. It's exactly why Boyle is struggling so bad now, he can't move the puck anymore so by the time he gets to the offensive zone the D is setup and he has a much harder job.

Given the situation where the D is setup which player is more likely to score? Boyle. Which is basically what your getting at. That's why good teams can shut us down though, if we wait till they setup, we are basically punching a brick wall.

Vlasic's offensive stats look good because he's so good at defense that the puck's in the offensive zone more often than not, which allows the actually talented offensive players on this team to put up points (boosting his 5on5 rates). He's not actually driving any of the play inside the offensive zone, he's just there.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
ES scoring comparisons are fine but LA vs. SJ at ES changes things IMO. LA was one of the lowest and SJ one of the highest, and yet vlasic only put up 5 more points at ES.

Doesn't mean anything. Vlasic doesn't control games offensively. Doughty does.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
ES scoring comparisons are fine but LA vs. SJ at ES changes things IMO. LA was one of the lowest and SJ one of the highest, and yet vlasic only put up 5 more points at ES.

Doesn't mean anything. Vlasic doesn't control games offensively. Doughty does.

And isn't LA notoriously unlucky offensively (during the regular season)?

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
And isn't LA notoriously unlucky offensively (during the regular season)?

Yep. Almost lowest sh% in the league.

At first glance we may be tempted to just say they weren't good at shooting. But think about the players on that team. Kopitar, carter, Williams, doughty etc. they are a good shooting team and are not low event like NJ. So it's unlucky shooting IMO.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
If only Vlasic would put up 45-50 points a season with some consistency, he'd be a lock for the HOF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad