Vlasic could go to Pyeongchang even if the NHL isn't

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
Vlasic would make Team Canada because the main criterion for making Team Canada is to have made Team Canada in the past.

He should never have been on a best on best team in the first place. Modern day defensemen have to be able to contribute at both ends of the ice. Call me when he can put up 40 points and then we'll talk about him being a top player.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Was there a counter?

I don't remember seeing reports of "ongoing negotiations" to try and ensure that the players would go to the Olympics. This seems like something that should've been worked out and negotiated between the two parties long ago, even before it came to that "ultimatum".

That's because the NHLPA's purpose is to ensure the best possible deals for players not to ensure integrity of international competition.

And that means ALL players.

Keep in mind, a small percentage of NHL players would go to OG.

It would be a complete disregard of it's responsibilities for NHLPA to neglect the rights of MAJORITY of their clients for the privilege of minority.

I'm sorry but NHLPA are not in blame here.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Vlasic would make Team Canada because the main criterion for making Team Canada is to have made Team Canada in the past.

He should never have been on a best on best team in the first place. Modern day defensemen have to be able to contribute at both ends of the ice. Call me when he can put up 40 points and then we'll talk about him being a top player.
I guess that 39 he put up last year just isn't good enough...

It's a good thing the people who make the roster decisions aren't bitter Karlsson fans.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They're supposed to, that's the point of singing a contract and getting it in writing. What they feel or what they think they should be allowed to do is irrelevant if it isn't in writing. It doesn't matter what the reason is. If they signed the contract and it says they have to play NHL games that they're physically able to, then they have to do it. Honoring a contract isn't "kowtowing". If they don't and leave to play in the Olympics then that is a breach of contract.

There are going to be ramifications to these players if they walk away, and I don't think it's just going to be a slap on the wrist like a lot of people think.

I don't really have respect for some of these players complaining. To me they just come off as shortsighted and just expected to go to the Olympics and didn't take the initiative to try to avoid this outcome. Their complaining to the media isn't really solving anything either.

Signing a contract doesn't mean that you're without leverage for certain things. This just happens to be one where the right guys will have that leverage. A breach of contract only works as a threat if a team is actually willing to pursue that case. The Sharks absolutely will not do any such thing with Vlasic. Same likely applies to someone like Ovechkin. It absolutely is kowtowing when it comes to the Olympics. Players shouldn't be obligated to the league making that decision for them.

You say you don't have respect for some of these players complaining. If your respect level is based off of them wanting to represent their country and it's all over a game then I don't think your respect is worth caring about because that is so very trivial. The initiative that individual players have with regards to a decision that had generally been done between the league and the PA was this time essentially forced upon the PA by the league so if they seem to have an issue with that, why does anyone complain about the complaining like you're doing? That is merely people falling in line with the league for various reasons whether it's because it'll affect your team or whatever it doesn't really matter. They don't have to complain to the media to try and solve anything. That's not any one individual's job and they are allowed to have an opinion on it.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
That's because the NHLPA's purpose is to ensure the best possible deals for players not to ensure integrity of international competition.

And that means ALL players.

Keep in mind, a small percentage of NHL players would go to OG.

It would be a complete disregard of it's responsibilities for NHLPA to neglect the rights of MAJORITY of their clients for the privilege of minority.

I'm sorry but NHLPA are not in blame here.

The NHLPA is composed of the players and lawyers. Who else is going to advocate for them going to the Olympics if not them? The NHL has no obligation to stop the season for the players and send them to the Olympics. It isn't going to happen unless it is written down and agreed upon by both parties.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He signed a black and white contract. He should honor it.

It isn't "kowtowing", it's fulfilling the contract you signed and agreed to.
So should the teams that sign players to bad deals then try and weasel out of them.

*couchLAChicagocough*

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
The NHLPA is composed of the players and lawyers. Who else is going to advocate for them going to the Olympics if not them? The NHL has no obligation to stop the season for the players and send them to the Olympics. It isn't going to happen unless it is written down and agreed upon by both parties.

That's exactly my point. I legitimately think that NHLPA is fairly powerless on this issue.

All the owners have to do is to make them choose "OG or raises" and NHLPA absolutely MUST chose money. They have to protect every player, not just Crosbys or Ovechkins of the world.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Damn, it is downright hilarious how far Sens fans will go to discredit this year's Norris Trophy winner.

Vlasic > Burns
you can probably find me saying that in my post history before Burns was even thought of as Norris Calibre Dman, but im sure it's because of me being a Karlsson fan.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Honestly, with the KHL now existing I don't think the NHL really has any teeth in this matter. It's some heavy handed posturing to me. If you have some of your biggest stars in your league, decide to one day just go to the Olympics anyway, how can you really just say ok, you're done in the NHL? Those players will just go to the KHL. The NHL is actually in a lose lose situation, but is acting as if it's the one in control. You're not in control when part of your control system will just end up making your competitor league stronger and more valid by forcing some of your best players to go there.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
If all the top players band together, your idea is irrelevant.
yep
even just a couple of handfuls of the top players
would probably be the worst possible move that the NHL could make in this situation, an all-around disaster

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
If all the top players band together, your idea is irrelevant.

The NHL goes to Hockey Canada and all the other governing bodies and says "If you take a player that is under contract to us, you had better be prepared to never have NHL cooperation again. Also, make sure your legal team is up to snuff and your insurance is topped up because if a player gets so much as a blister, we will see you in court."

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Of the millions he has, he would easily forfit the $100000 to go. A lot of NHL players would. It's peanuts.

2% of one years earnings for vlasic.

And vlasic would easily make team Canada.

Bet he wouldn't. They are huge babies. They want to do what they want and get every cent.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Honestly, with the KHL now existing I don't think the NHL really has any teeth in this matter. It's some heavy handed posturing to me. If you have some of your biggest stars in your league, decide to one day just go to the Olympics anyway, how can you really just say ok, you're done in the NHL? Those players will just go to the KHL. The NHL is actually in a lose lose situation, but is acting as if it's the one in control. You're not in control when part of your control system will just end up making your competitor league stronger and more valid by forcing some of your best players to go there.

Only russians will go back to russia. There are no good north american players that will go.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
yep
even just a couple of handfuls of the top players
would probably be the worst possible move that the NHL could make in this situation, an all-around disaster

Nope. Nhl just says to the iihf to suspend the player and it will be done.

Iihf tournaments will be extinct with the nhl players not involved.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Signing a contract doesn't mean that you're without leverage for certain things. This just happens to be one where the right guys will have that leverage. A breach of contract only works as a threat if a team is actually willing to pursue that case. The Sharks absolutely will not do any such thing with Vlasic. Same likely applies to someone like Ovechkin. It absolutely is kowtowing when it comes to the Olympics. Players shouldn't be obligated to the league making that decision for them.

So what makes the league obligated in any way shape or form to cater to what the players/IOC wants? The Olympics doesn't do a damn thing for them. If they gave them some concessions and the travel/insurance cost for the players was consistently covered (it costs MILLIONS), then we'd probably see a different outcome here. They made the smart business and financial decision.

You say you don't have respect for some of these players complaining. If your respect level is based off of them wanting to represent their country and it's all over a game then I don't think your respect is worth caring about because that is so very trivial. The initiative that individual players have with regards to a decision that had generally been done between the league and the PA was this time essentially forced upon the PA by the league so if they seem to have an issue with that, why does anyone complain about the complaining like you're doing? That is merely people falling in line with the league for various reasons whether it's because it'll affect your team or whatever it doesn't really matter. They don't have to complain to the media to try and solve anything. That's not any one individual's job and they are allowed to have an opinion on it.

Of course their allowed to have an opinion on it. At any point did I say he couldn't speak his mind? I merely shared my opinion on it. And why exactly is your opinion or respect any less trivial than mine? "I disagree with you so your respect or lack thereof and opinion is trivial". Real nice.

It has nothing to do with the actual Olympics. It's that they're complaining that they can't temporarily back out of a contract to do something that benefits them. It's also clear that some of them are not really looking at the dollars and cents reasons as to why this happened, or don't care. It's a very reactionary stance and everyone should have seen this coming from a mile away. The NHL didn't pull a fast one on them.

Certainly some players have more leverage than others. But we will ultimately see what happens in this scenario. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the players will just happily up and abandon their contracts and leave to play in Russia or somewhere else for the rest of their careers over this. I think certain players like Ovechkin, and older players might not care. But what about younger guys like McDavid and Eichel, or players that genuinely don't want to leave North America?

I don't think it's any guarantee one way or the other that all star players band together and leave the NHL or all GM's band together and block them from leaving. What I do think is that we might have a mess on our hands if things come to a head.

Last edited:

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
That's exactly my point. I legitimately think that NHLPA is fairly powerless on this issue.

All the owners have to do is to make them choose "OG or raises" and NHLPA absolutely MUST chose money. They have to protect every player, not just Crosbys or Ovechkins of the world.

A decent sized chunk of players go to the Olympics. It isn't just the Crosby's or Ovechkins of the world like you're making it sound. Something like 150 or so players end up going.

But fine, they had to choose one or the other and it makes sense to do right for the entire PA.

The sense I'm getting here though is that the players want to have their cake and eat it too. The NHL does stand to loose a lot and gain nothing from sending their players to the Olympics. Like I stated above, if insurance and travel cost was covered (Millions of dollars) and the IOC threw the NHL a freaking bone (like the ability to use footage and player image to promote their game) then I'd think we'd be seeing a different stance here.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Sports leagues are basically huge violations of anti-trust laws that are allowed to operate under the spirit of competitive balance. The NHL is taking advantage of this to prevent their employees from doing something they've been dreaming about since they were small children.

The players signed these contracts because they have no alternative if they want to play professional hockey in North America. The SPC does not allow for an Olympic release clause. I'm not sure if the AHL/ECHL SPC is any different, but lets not pretend that's even a realistic option for Olympic caliber hockey players.

It's a shame because everyone wants to see the best players in one league, but the NHL is using that concept to leverage a decision that would be illegal in any other industry. Imagine if Google bought out all of their competitors and then declared that none of their salaried employees were allowed to travel abroad.

The elite minority that are good enough to go to the Olympics agreed to sign their SPCs with the NHL because they had to in order to capitalize on their talents. The NHLPA consists of a majority of players that are not invited to their Olympic teams and have no interest in helping to pay the salaries of players that get injured there, and of course the owners have no incentive for risking their 'assets.' Therefore, the SPC does not mention the Olympics.

The funny thing is, the NHL depends on the marketability of their top level talent to survive. I would like to see a world where every NHL player invited to the Olympics attends anyway. The NHL would not dare to impose serious sanctions on all of them, or they could risk destroying the league entirely.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Sports leagues are basically huge violations of anti-trust laws that are allowed to operate under the spirit of competitive balance. The NHL is taking advantage of this to prevent their employees from doing something they've been dreaming about since they were small children.

The players signed these contracts because they have no alternative if they want to play professional hockey in North America. The SPC does not allow for an Olympic release clause. I'm not sure if the AHL/ECHL SPC is any different, but lets not pretend that's even a realistic option for Olympic caliber hockey players.

It's a shame because everyone wants to see the best players in one league, but the NHL is using that concept to leverage a decision that would be illegal in any other industry. Imagine if Google bought out all of their competitors and then declared that none of their salaried employees were allowed to travel abroad.

The elite minority that are good enough to go to the Olympics agreed to sign their SPCs with the NHL because they had to in order to capitalize on their talents. The NHLPA consists of a majority of players that are not invited to their Olympic teams and have no interest in helping to pay the salaries of players that get injured there, and of course the owners have no incentive for risking their 'assets.' Therefore, the SPC does not mention the Olympics.

The funny thing is, the NHL depends on the marketability of their top level talent to survive. I would like to see a world where every NHL player invited to the Olympics attends anyway. The NHL would not dare to impose serious sanctions on all of them, or they could risk destroying the league entirely.

:facepalm:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

The nhl is not stoping the players from playing in the olymlics. There job is.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It's not just sport leagues.

Many organizations have policies in place that disallow their employees to work outside of the organization, even if it's on their own time.

I'm actually also part of an union and I'm not allowed to apply my trade anywhere other then my place of employment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad