Vlasic could go to Pyeongchang even if the NHL isn't

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Marc-Édouard Vlasic wrote a very interesting article in French on the Radio-Canada website. Here are some translated parts :

To say that I'm disappointed is not strong enough. In fact, I can't find a word to describe how much I find this unacceptable.

If nothing happens in the next few months and if NHL players don't go to Pyeongchang, I'll spend the rest of my career being frustrated and feeling hatred toward the NHL.

I'm waiting to see what will happen and what won't happen. How strong are the sanctions gonna be against the players who will decide to participate in the Olympics? Are they gonna be suspended?

I believe players have the upper end here. For example, think about the players who were at the World Cup. If 10 players among them say that they will go to Pyeongchang anyway, the NHL will have to reevaluate its position.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I doubt the IOC or IIHF would let him play even the NHL doesnt agree to go to the Olympics.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
players don't get it unfortunately. If you want to play at the 2018 olympics, you better be a free agent sitting on your couch.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If I'm the NHL, I say "okay - your contract is void and you're suspended indefinitely, pending unanimous approval by all GMs."

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I just don't get this stance. The Olympics only started taking NHL players 20 years ago, the prior 60 or whatever was amateur players, it's not like it was always professionals and now they want to go to amateur. If you want to represent your country in the Olympics don't turn pro at 18, keep your eligibility and make the Olympic team then go pro. Professionals in the Olympics has ruined the Olympics, doping too but that's a different story, there's no more miracle on ice moments anymore. In basketball USA should win every year, in hockey Canada should too, is it even that special when you clearly have a better team than every other country?

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Out scored by 18 defencemens from Canada.

That said Canada can use him if he does decide to go against the wishes of the NHL. Ovechkin is doing it.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Regardless of his opinion, it's scary how many people vastly undervalue Vlasic who is arguably the best shutdown D in the league. There is no way Canada wouldn't take him :laugh::laugh:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Professionals in the Olympics has ruined the Olympics

The Olympics were ruined from the beginning. The "amateur" rule was always a fraud, it was made by aristocrats to keep working class people out. Then after WW2 communist countries who don't pay athletes kept it in place so they would have less competition from free market countries.

The NHL shouldn't associate itself with such a grubby bunch of scoundrels and it is right to promote a World Cup instead so revenues stay in hockey and not going to international thieves in Switzerland.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Out scored by 18 defencemens from Canada.

That said Canada can use him if he does decide to go against the wishes of the NHL. Ovechkin is doing it.
Scoring ain't his game, stopping it is. Just ask Toffoli, Forsberg, Tarasenko, Crosby and McDavid.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Thankfully, you are not the NHL

It's moot anyway. Two things would need to happen. Hockey Canada would have to let him play, and the NHL would have to let it happen.

I also expect the NHL's punishment for going will be severe, and will probably cost a team that allows it a lot as well (either in owner fines or forfeited draft picks).

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I just don't get this stance. The Olympics only started taking NHL players 20 years ago, the prior 60 or whatever was amateur players, it's not like it was always professionals and now they want to go to amateur. If you want to represent your country in the Olympics don't turn pro at 18, keep your eligibility and make the Olympic team then go pro. Professionals in the Olympics has ruined the Olympics, doping too but that's a different story, there's no more miracle on ice moments anymore. In basketball USA should win every year, in hockey Canada should too, is it even that special when you clearly have a better team than every other country?

This post :handclap:

Nowadays without the Soviet Union, international tournaments are void of passion and political tension. It's just a bunch of NHLers and buddies playing each other.

I grew up watching the Canada Cups. That was awesome. Full arenas, best players.

I think international hockey peaked in the late 70s to early 90s era. Nowadays you could have the Olympics be a better tournament if you'd limit it to WJC players.

And if you're gonna have a best-on-best tournament, please not the Olympics. The worst and most despicable organisation in sports. The World Cup is not ideal, but hopefully it's enough to kill the NHLers at the Olympics thingy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad