Vlasic could go to Pyeongchang even if the NHL isn't

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
It's not just sport leagues.

Many organizations have policies in place that disallow their employees to work outside of the organization, even if it's on their own time.

I'm actually also part of an union and I'm not allowed to apply my trade anywhere other then my place of employment.

I don't know what industry you're in, and I don't really need to know, but I might be wrong with my upcoming assumptions because of that.

In any case, chances are there are other employers out there that want to hire you and are able to provide an offer that is competitive with who currently employs you. If you truly wanted to be able to earn a living from multiple employers are once and you had the skills to carry that kind of negotiating power, you would be able to negotiate that into your terms of employment. You also have the power to leave the union if their terms don't favor you.

NHL players can also leave the PA, but that doesn't help them in this case because this is a condition imposed by the league. The PA doesn't have a strong motive to go to bat for this elite minority either.

Edit: I also want to clarify, before anyone misconstrues my points, that I don't believe the NHL is doing anything illegal. Anti-trust laws exist to protect the rights of consumers and they are not being clearly violated to the extent that they could be prosecuted. I am taking exception to the league's decision to impose their will on a minority for the financial gain (or specifically to avoid a potential financial loss) for the majority. Many of you will disagree with that core philosophical concept and that's perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So what makes the league obligated in any way shape or form to cater to what the players/IOC wants? The Olympics doesn't do a damn thing for them. If they gave them some concessions and the travel/insurance cost for the players was consistently covered (it costs MILLIONS), then we'd probably see a different outcome here. They made the smart business and financial decision.

Of course their allowed to have an opinion on it. At any point did I say he couldn't speak his mind? I merely shared my opinion on it. And why exactly is your opinion or respect any less trivial than mine? "I disagree with you so your respect or lack thereof and opinion is trivial". Real nice.

It has nothing to do with the actual Olympics. It's that they're complaining that they can't temporarily back out of a contract to do something that benefits them. It's also clear that some of them are not really looking at the dollars and cents reasons as to why this happened, or don't care. It's a very reactionary stance and everyone should have seen this coming from a mile away. The NHL didn't pull a fast one on them.

Certainly some players have more leverage than others. But we will ultimately see what happens in this scenario. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the players will just happily up and abandon their contracts and leave to play in Russia or somewhere else for the rest of their careers over this. I think certain players like Ovechkin, and older players might not care. But what about younger guys like McDavid and Eichel, or players that genuinely don't want to leave North America?

I don't think it's any guarantee one way or the other that all star players band together and leave the NHL or all GM's band together and block them from leaving. What I do think is that we might have a mess on our hands if things come to a head.

They're not obligated but that doesn't mean that it's smart of them to try to make the players obligate themselves to the league at the expense of the Olympics either. It simply is not a bright idea to essentially tell the PA that their opinions don't mean anything to it when it takes collective bargaining to make sure you have a product to make money off of.

The second part is just a straw man so there's no point in responding to that. lol

The other parts is are complete nonsense. Nobody made the statement that the NHL is pulling a fast one on them. The NHL is putting their business over something their money-making workforce has made pretty clear that they wanted to continue doing. Now, I'm not saying that they shouldn't put their business over their players. What I am saying is that they needed to have the PA a lot more involved in making that decision than they were because it is in their best interest to do so. In an environment where collective bargaining is required to keep your business going, pissing off your workers by ignoring them entirely is not a smart idea. There was a way for them to not go to the Olympics while still involving the players in that decision.

You also set up a false premise when you talk about temporarily backing out of their contracts to go to the Olympics. That's not how it ever worked. They collectively bargained the ability to go and made the schedule work around it.

And again, for those players that want to go, they may get suspended w/o pay but they're not going to pursue breach of contracts because it's not in their best interest to do so.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
I just don't get this stance. The Olympics only started taking NHL players 20 years ago, the prior 60 or whatever was amateur players, it's not like it was always professionals and now they want to go to amateur. If you want to represent your country in the Olympics don't turn pro at 18, keep your eligibility and make the Olympic team then go pro. Professionals in the Olympics has ruined the Olympics, doping too but that's a different story, there's no more miracle on ice moments anymore. In basketball USA should win every year, in hockey Canada should too, is it even that special when you clearly have a better team than every other country?

What ever happened to best players in the sport for the country? Who cares if they're pros or amateurs? The Olympics is about the best, period.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What ever happened to best players in the sport for the country? Who cares if they're pros or amateurs? The Olympics is about the best, period.

Agreed.

Not only that, you'd have to be extremely naive to think the Olympics is still synonymous to the best amateur athletes. It's not. Phelps has made over $55 million from the Olympics, his career is swimming and literally preparing for the Olympics. Countries invests hundreds of millions of dollars to help train athletes. For instance, in 2013 China invested over $600 million to train their Olympic hopefuls. Amateur has nothing to do with the Olympics anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad