Vladimir Tarasenko

Has he peaked?

• Total voters

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I wouldn’t hesitate moving him for the right player. He would have to fit these criteria

Young
Ascending
Under team control for numerous years
25+ goal scorer
Physical
2 way player

Who? No idea. Lol
Matt Tkachuk? Pretty much checks every box.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
There's a freak-out 5-10 games in every year over anyone who starts cold every year, and a corresponding fawning over anyone who starts the season hot.

Every. Year.

Remember the argument that the league had figured Tarasenko out and that he was doomed to be a 20 goal guy moving forward when Tarasenko started out slow last time? I sure remember it.

He'll have his torrid streak and absolutely carry the team for a significant stretch this season. Sit back and let it happen. The team has more than enough scoring depth to be competitive when he's not at the top of his game.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
There's a freak-out 5-10 games in every year over anyone who starts cold every year, and a corresponding fawning over anyone who starts the season hot.

Every. Year.

Remember the argument that the league had figured Tarasenko out and that he was doomed to be a 20 goal guy moving forward when Tarasenko started out slow last time? I sure remember it.

He'll have his torrid streak and absolutely carry the team for a significant stretch this season. Sit back and let it happen. The team has more than enough scoring depth to be competitive when he's not at the top of his game.
He's recovering from knee surgery isn't he? He was slow to start last year due to his shoulder surgery, and what happened when he got healthy? He blew up. The same thing will happen here.

Reactions: shmotz

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
In the Montreal game thread, Ranksu said this:

Tarasenko shouldn't play ~17min. Pathetic performance.

A couple years ago I was mad Tarasenko was only getting 17 or 18 minutes instead of 19 or 20 every night, but if he plays like he did tonight I agree with him.

In tonight's lackluster game he played his 17:17 without putting a shot on goal, which is a travesty for a player who might have the best wrist shot in the league.

I was curious how often that occurs because everything and anything can happen in an 82 game hockey season. Here are the number of games Tarasenko has had no shots on goal for each season:

2012-2013 - 7 of 38 GP (while playing 13:25 a game)
2013-2014 - 10 of 64 GP (while playing 15:10 minutes a game), and 0 of 6 playoff games.
2014-2015 - 1 of 77 GP, 2 of 6 playoff games.
2015-2016 - 1 of 80 GP and 1 in 20 playoff games played.
2016-2017 - 5 of 82 GP, and 0 in 11 playoff games.
2017-2018 - 1 of 80 GP.
2018-2019 - 0 of 76 GP, and 0 of 26 playoff games.

Excluding this season and his rookie and sophomore years where he averaged much less ice time than his career 17:38 number, Tarasenko had no shots on goal in 11 of 458 games.

So games like tonight, where he doesn't put anything on net, do happen sometimes. But not very often, and it didn't happen a single time last season in 102 games.

For some perspective, I took a quick look at Ovechkin's numbers. He's led the league in shots most of the seasons he's been in the league and he often has 1 or 2 games each year where he doesn't get a shot, even over 3 minutes in ice time more than Tarasenko averages. So it does happen.

Anyway there's some random Tarasenko trivia.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Matt Tkachuk? Pretty much checks every box.
Matt is LW'er. We need RW'er.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: MC2D

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
He's recovering from knee surgery isn't he? He was slow to start last year due to his shoulder surgery, and what happened when he got healthy? He blew up. The same thing will happen here.

He'll score no less than 30.

I hope/pray that this is the year he gets 50. :yo:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He’ll never score 40 again. 30-35 is what he is. Thats still good, but he’s going to have to be more assertive to even hit that. Hopefully he gets it going.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Berube apparently had a long talk with him after the Ottawa game. Only 10 shots on goal through 5 games. The team needs more than that. I agree he needs to be more assertive on a game to game basis. Hopefully he can get going in the right direction today. I expect a good game from him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If last season taught me anything, it's be patient. Armstrong has clearly doubled the f*** down on this core. Vladi will get it going. Most players haven't looked all that great so far, oh well. It's still early in the season, and all of our players have not dealt with the Cup hang over. They are getting every teams' A game now, they are the big dog. It's going to be hard to get up for every single game, especially when you know how last year went.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
So what you're saying is you would give up Tarasenko for a player that no team would trade for Tarasenko?

Haha, thats sure how it sounds. But if I lowered the goal total to around 15-20, that would sound like a Barbashev / Sunquist type of player.

Lakeside

Aug 21, 2019
Wildwood, MO

He finished the Cup run with knee surgery and (likely) rehab for a shoulder injury. That doesn't bode well for training on a short off-season with Cup celebrations.

I expected a slow start.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Tarasenko has 6 points through 7 games, a 70 point pace.....that's really close to his career average season...

TRADE HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahahahahha

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad