Vladimir Tarasenko

Has he peaked?

• Total voters

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I wish there were more options in this poll. Neither yes or no appeal to me. There is a big qualifier that needs to be attached for me to vote. If Vlad decides to play a more complete game, then he hasn’t peaked. If he doesn’t, then likely he has peaked. I don’t think his age is the defining factor here.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I think he’ll be back to normal soon. He seems to be developing some pretty good chemistry with O’Reilly. Once we have our top 6 rolling we should be more than just fine offensively.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
His body language can be discouraging sometimes. Especially when the team isn't playing well, he's struggling personally, or when it just seems he isn't getting a lot of touches. It's almost looks as if he becomes disinterested if he doesn't get his chances early. I wouldn't mind all that much as long as he's producing but he's been dubbed the face of this franchise and has been rewarded the "A" on a team with multiple options for that letter.

That moment with Berglund on the bench last season always seems to pop up in my head, important or not. There just seemed to be some resentment between those two. Doesn't matter now though...Randy Karraker did also have a source that claimed there was some possible tension between him and Schenn last season on 101.1 ESPN
Can you expand on this? What happened with Berglund?

And do you remember exactly what Karraker said?

Reactions: RoarBacon

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Tarasenko used to be consistent offensively and inconsistent defensively, and now he's gravitated toward being inconsistent in both areas. He has moments where he dazzles us, whether it's a quick drive to the net or a gutsy backcheck to prevent an odd man rush. However, I am also seeing times where his idea of forechecking is to wave a stick in a defender's vicinity, or he's caught standing around in the defensive with no desire to retrieve the puck. I vividly remember an instance where the puck wrapped around the boards to Tarasenko's area, and instead of moving toward the puck he just stood where he was and forced Pietrangelo to have to push up to pressure the opposing player. Plays like that drive me nuts.

He absolutely has the ability to be a superstar in the league, but I feel as if he's missing that extra bit of drive. I wouldn't say he's peaked yet though. I agree with BlueDream that the turning point for Tarasenko has been that series against the Sharks where he couldn't muster anything offensively until the final game. Since then, he hasn't been as noticeable. But I wouldn't consider that his peak, I think he has a lot more to give and it'll take some time with his shoulder surgery being so recent. I do have doubts that he'll be able to elevate his game to that next level, but there's still a possibility, and so I can't say with good faith that he's officially peaked.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
I think he’ll be back to normal soon. He seems to be developing some pretty good chemistry with O’Reilly. Once we have our top 6 rolling we should be more than just fine offensively.
Agreed. The offense wasn't the squad allowing CBJ forwards to beat them to the net all night for easy tap-ins. O produces; D struggles and G suffers as a result.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
Its on him at this point. I remember going into last season he told the media, he wanted to be a 50 goal scorer. So saying that and doing that are two different things but if you want to be that, he has to take control of himself to find the back of the net. What I have noticed about his game, his shoulder I don't think is 100% yet because I have seen very few of his famous shot so far, he done more back handers. If he can get that shot going again, he should be fine.

Cdnblue

Jan 19, 2018
With his shot, he seems to miss the net more often than not. He tries to hard to pick corners which are seldom there like they use to be. At least hitthe net and give us some rebounds.

I feel that 91 needs just needs to spend an hour or two everyday on the treadmill and drop 30 pounds...

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
With his shot, he seems to miss the net more often than not. He tries to hard to pick corners which are seldom there like they use to be. At least hitthe net and give us some rebounds.

I feel that 91 needs just needs to spend an hour or two everyday on the treadmill and drop 30 pounds...

Why do you think he can power his way to the net so often? He carries his weight well, I wouldn't want him at 200#.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
BUMP!!!

Only 4 games in and it looks like I'm having the same exact feelings I had a year ago. I know...

He finished strong last season and played well in the postseason but his game to game consistency/compete level still drives me bananas!

Yes... he's coming off surgery but I feel like I've read this story before.

I mean - he doesn't need to be scoring all the time, but I feel like it's clear as day when this guy is focused/engaged and when he is not....or am I just seeing things??!?!?

Will we ever see him cross the 75 pt threshold?

For the record, I would love nothing more than to have him make me eat my words.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
BUMP!!!

Only 4 games in and it looks like I'm having the same exact feelings I had a year ago. I know...

He finished strong last season and played well in the postseason but his game to game consistency/compete level still drives me bananas!

Yes... he's coming off surgery but I feel like I've read this story before.

I mean - he doesn't need to be scoring all the time, but I feel like it's clear as day when this guy is focused/engaged and when he is not....or am I just seeing things??!?!?

Will we ever see him cross the 75 pt threshold?

For the record, I would love nothing more than to have him make me eat my words.

Know what the similarities are between this year and last? He's had shoulder injuries both off seasons. When your game revolves around how deadly your shot is I would imagine a shoulder injury slows things down a lot.

Reactions: Nathaniel Lauharn

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Know what the similarities are between this year and last? He's had shoulder injuries both off seasons. When your game revolves around how deadly your shot is I would imagine a shoulder injury slows things down a lot.

I thought he had knee surgery after the playoffs, not another shoulder surgery?

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
He doesn’t look dynamic at all - Blais looks more confident and dynamic than him. He needs to step it up, big time.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Yea, there was a moment yesterday when he was breaking down the wing and he had some solid space to the middle. He tried to pull that move where he cuts middle, shoots.....and the D just knocked it away. I haven't seen him create space for himself in what feels like years....sure he can still shoot the puck when he gets it in space from someone else.....but he can't generate his own space anymore.

Reactions: STL BLUES

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Yea, there was a moment yesterday when he was breaking down the wing and he had some solid space to the middle. He tried to pull that move where he cuts middle, shoots.....and the D just knocked it away. I haven't seen him create space for himself in what feels like years....sure he can still shoot the puck when he gets it in space from someone else.....but he can't generate his own space anymore.

I think Heiskanen would argue with you. Go to the 3:06 mark of the video.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Look, he is what he is. He's going to go through slumps where he's very quiet and then he's gonna break out and score 20 goals in 25 games and everyone will be saying "good thing we didn't trade him!"

He's a streaky player. That's never going to change. He's just a completely different player from a guy like ROR and that's okay. Most pure goal scorers are. People will say the same things about Stamkos and Kessel as they do Tarasenko.

But the bottom line is, he's still going to get his 35 goals this year and that cannot be replaced. So there's not much to debate.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I mean...

I get it. I know what kind of player he is and he’ll probably end up with his 30-35 but we need more engagement on a game to game basis.

SN announcer said Tarasenko was in Berube’s “doghouse” because of his slow start. Berube had “a long talk” with him after the Ottawa game.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I mean...

I get it. I know what kind of player he is and he’ll probably end up with his 30-35 but we need more engagement on a game to game basis.

SN announcer said Tarasenko was in Berube’s “doghouse” because of his slow start. Berube had “a long talk” with him after the Ottawa game.
Tonight Tarasenko looked like he doesn't want to play. He gets most offensive icetime and powerplay time, but he's 0+2 this season.

There is big difference when Tarasenko is playing his A+ game, but now he's playing D- game. Its pathetic level.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I wouldn’t hesitate moving him for the right player. He would have to fit these criteria

Young
Ascending
Under team control for numerous years
25+ goal scorer
Physical
2 way player

Who? No idea. Lol

Reactions: GrayZack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad