Traded Vladimir Tarasenko (1 year, 5 million)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think people saw everyone dunking on the Sens on the trade board and immediately went into defense/rationalize mode.

Easiest fans to please in the league.
Not sure many would go into defensive mode because of what strangers, and generally unknowledgeable, are saying on the internet

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Insane to me lmao

Teams get as much for being third party in a trade and somehow people still defend this.

People became fine with being fan of a terrible organization over the past 7 years

To think some even defended Dorion and DJ Smith, 2 f***ing jokes
What would you have done? Tarasenko only wanted to go to Florida where his family has a home & he had a no trade clause. They offered or negotiated two picks so the Sens took it. The other option was not trading him & he would have left July 1 when his contract ended. What else could have been done?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What would you have done? Tarasenko only wanted to go to Florida where his family has a home & he had a no trade clause. They offered or negotiated two picks so the Sens took it. The other option was not trading him & he would have left July 1 when his contract ended. What else could have been done?

Is Brady putting on or taking off that a Sens jersey?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Is Brady putting on or taking off that a Sens jersey?
Brady is signed for a few more yrs so we"ll see, it remains to be seen whether this new ownership group & managment group will be able to change the constant negative results here. Goaltending has become the #1 issue here, but they still need a top 4 RD & maybe they get one in the draft & they need another top 9 goal scorer & pt producer & who knows where these things will come from & they needed them yesterday.

I'd call up both Kleven (when healthy) & Ostapchuk to replace Brannstrom & Kubalik & probably keep Sogaard. Hopefully, if they trade Chychrun the return is a player they can use to fill a need like Chychrun LD for Saros #1 goalie or top 6 RD. I would try & get rid of Highmore, Chartier, Joseph, Kelly, MacEwan, Smejkal, Brannstrom, Kubalik, Forsberg & Hamonic. That's a lot of players to move out & replace & probably impossible.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brady is signed for a few more yrs so we"ll see, it remains to be seen whether this new ownership group & managment group will be able to change the constant negative results here. Goaltending has become the #1 issue here, but they still need a top 4 RD & maybe they get one in the draft & they need another top 9 goal scorer & pt producer & who knows where these things will come from & they needed them yesterday.

I'd call up both Kleven (when healthy) & Ostapchuk to replace Brannstrom & Kubalik & probably keep Sogaard. Hopefully, if they trade Chychrun the return is a player they can use to fill a need like Chychrun LD for Saros #1 goalie or top 6 RD. I would try & get rid of Highmore, Chartier, Joseph, Kelly, MacEwan, Smejkal, Brannstrom, Kubalik, Forsberg & Hamonic. That's a lot of players to move out & replace & probably impossible.

Thing about the RD draft is that player is a minimum 1 year away unless it’s Macklin Sensabrini.

Ott: Logan Mailloux (RD), Winn 1st 2024
MTL: Thomas Chabot

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Thing about the RD draft is that player is a minimum 1 year away unless it’s Macklin Sensabrini.

Ott: Logan Mailloux (RD), Winn 1st 2024
MTL: Thomas Chabot
Is Mailloux bringing his camera ?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dorion got the best he could under the circumstances for Debrincat. The issue is that both Tarasenko and Debrincat should never have been on the team in the first place.
What was wrong with getting Tarasenko for free? That was a perfect value signing. The Debrincat trade was all time stupid. He should have traded him at the TDL once he found out he wouldn't extend.

You'll never get a rational answer. They don't have one.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Buy some magic beans, sprinkle with pixie dust and have Florida give the Sens 2 1st rounders....

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Play hardball.

People act as if the Sens had zero leverage and had to take whatever the Panthers offered, but if that were the case why did they offer a 3rd+4th at all? Why not a 7th round pick? Clearly there was some room for negotiation and it's a strawman to suggest we were simply at Zito's mercy and had zero choice in the matter.

Given he's a rookie GM that is presumably going to be running this team for some time, I'd rather he had used this opportunity to make it clear to other GMs around the league he won't be bullied and won't accept dog**** offers when he's in a disadvantageous situation.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Play hardball.

People act as if the Sens had zero leverage and had to take whatever the Panthers offered, but if that were the case why did they offer a 3rd+4th at all? Why not a 7th round pick? Clearly there was some room for negotiation and it's a strawman to suggest we were simply at Zito's mercy and had zero choice in the matter.

Given he's a rookie GM that is presumably going to be running this team for some time, I'd rather he had used this opportunity to make it clear to other GMs around the league he won't be bullied and won't accept dog**** offers when he's in a disadvantageous situation.
THEY DID HAVE 0 LEVERAGE

You can't play hard ball when there is no other options. This is getting insane. Listen to Mike Johnson on tsn 1200 if you're not gonna listen to any of us.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You can't play hard ball when there is no other options. This is getting insane.

If there were no other options and the Sens had "no leverage" in your words, why didn't the Panthers just offer a 7th round pick for Tarasenko?

Presumably if it's the only option and the best return available, we should have pulled the trigger on that, correct?

Answer is obvious - Staios had some leverage. He was holding onto a good player that the Panthers desired and therefore had some room to negotiate a better return.

You have to establish that you'll walk if the opposing party is trying to screw you over. Staios took the dog**** offer well before the deadline bell.

At the very least I would have preferred he made Zito sweat a bit by holding onto him longer and bluffing that he'd keep him past the deadline if he didn't get a more reasonable return.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
If there were no other options and the Sens had "no leverage" in your words, why didn't the Panthers just offer a 7th round pick for Tarasenko?

Presumably if it's the only option and the best return available, we should have pulled the trigger on that, correct?

Answer is obvious - Staios had some leverage. He was holding onto a good player that the Panthers desired and therefore had some room to negotiate a better return.

You have to establish that you'll walk if the opposing party is trying to screw you over. Staios took the dog**** offer well before the deadline bell.

At the very least I would have preferred he made Zito sweat a bit by holding onto him longer and bluffing that he'd keep him past the deadline if he didn't get a more reasonable return.
Hey thats a rational answer

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Is Mailloux bringing his camera ?

I added this because I think Andlauer would have good info on Mailoux and Mailoux is a big RD who can skate and has apparently been really good in the AHL tthis year - and Habs might want to move on from him and would be happy

A true test, I think this management group can handle this prospect and his history

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Play hardball.

What exactaly would hard ball be? You either trade him to Florida or you don't. Tarasenko could just wait until the end of the season & on July 1 sign with Florida which is most likely what he does this summer anyway. He had a no trade clause, if it wasn't Florida it was no where else. They could have offered an insulting offer, but this is the NHL & they try to be decent about things & it seems like a reasonable offer given the situation. I don't think Florida would appreciate Staois going on TSN/X/ESPN & saying the offers were insulting, it might also be insulting to the player if they wanted him for more than just this playoff run. Tarasenk also has a ring so finishing the season here & taking his family to a Florida beach with his $5 mil & getting a longer summer & not getting hurt in the playoffs might have gone through his mind too, he may have done Staois a favour.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Come on man, you are reaching for the sole purpose of being negative.

Reactions: inthewings and bert

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
What was wrong with getting Tarasenko for free? That was a perfect value signing. The Debrincat trade was all time stupid. He should have traded him at the TDL once he found out he wouldn't extend.

You'll never get a rational answer. They don't have one.
Nothing wrong with getting Tarasenko without giving up a player (if that is what you man by "free"). I'm disappointed he is leaving the team and of course would rather have Tarasenko than, say, Kubalik.
His signing put them in cap difficulty with respect to Pinto. Perhaps Dorion planned to solve that cap issue by ditching Joseph, Brannstrom, etc. Who knows.

I agree with Debrincat trade at the TDL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It really is too bad we didn't trade Kubalik at the very start of the season when he still had some value to make room for Pinto. Even if we'd only gotten a 5th or something, it would have resolved a lot of issues, we'd have had room for callups for one, and well, not had Kubablik...

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
I added this because I think Andlauer would have good info on Mailoux and Mailoux is a big RD who can skate and has apparently been really good in the AHL tthis year - and Habs might want to move on from him and would be happy

A true test, I think this management group can handle this prospect and his history
Should be keeping sociopaths away from the organization after the last decade or so of bs tbh man.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00