Traded Vladimir Tarasenko (1 year, 5 million)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's a way worse player. Tarasenko had 3 goals and 4 points in one series last year. To suggest Wennberg is a better add in any scenario is not accurate.
I'm okay to disagree. He's obviously a lesser offensive player than Tank, but he is a center that can skate, plays 18 mins a night, is good on draws with a decent defensive game, and like Edmonton, NYR were targeting a guy that can fill in in the middle over a straight winger. For their situations, hoping to make a long run, I think prioritizing depth down the middle is always wise.

Of course, Tarasenko is much more of a game breaker, so I see your point too.

Reactions: lancepitlick

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm okay to disagree. He's obviously a lesser offensive player than Tank, but he is a center that can skate, plays 18 mins a night, is good on draws with a decent defensive game, and like Edmonton, NYR were targeting a guy that can fill in in the middle over a straight winger. For their situations, hoping to make a long run, I think prioritizing depth down the middle is always wise.

Of course, Tarasenko is much more of a game breaker, so I see your point too.
He barely had a job in the league a few years ago. He's a 3rd line center on a bad team. Tarasenko is pacing for 60 points and plays a heavy game. Has a cup, can score when it counts.

Edmonton tried to get Tarasenko......

I don't know why anyone is comparing the two. Tarasenko was only going to 1 team. That's it as soon as people come to terms with it the sooner we can stop looking for excuses. Or strange comparables and narratives that aren't true. He's really good. Was fun to watch sucks that the sens haven't got a save all season and they aren't battling for a playoff spot with him in the lineup.

Debrincat was an RFA, Tank a UFA. Apples and oranges.
Insane to think anyone would blatantly ignore this. Sad state for this poster. Just in complete denial.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He barely had a job in the league a few years ago. He's a 3rd line center on a bad team. Tarasenko is pacing for 60 points and plays a heavy game. Has a cup, can score when it counts.

Edmonton tried to get Tarasenko......

I don't know why anyone is comparing the two. Tarasenko was only going to 1 team. That's it as soon as people come to terms with it the sooner we can stop looking for excuses. Or strange comparables and narratives that aren't true. He's really good. Was fun to watch sucks that the sens haven't got a save all season and they aren't battling for a playoff spot with him in the lineup.

Insane to think anyone would blatantly ignore this. Sad state for this poster. Just in complete denial.
He did, but he played his way back into a nice 3 year contract and has by all accounts, been a decent player in Seattle. 18 mins a night with about a .45 ppg pace there. I've been okay with what I've seen of him out here on the west coast. He skates well and is better defensively than I thought. I would call Seattle more of a bubble team than a bad team. Not world beaters, but as good as any team these deadline acquisitions are being plucked from.

No shade to Tarasenko meant and don't feel the need to argue against him or anything. Very solid player, obviously. Edmonton did try to get him too, but I didn't think it was an either or scenario with Henrique. I wasn't comparing them either, although some others may have, I just originally said I liked that those two teams in NYR and Edm seemed to target specific roles over this player. Maybe my original comment was extreme, but I still feel like those teams needed help down the middle.

Last edited:

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Strange that people weren't as sympathetic when DeBrincat did the same thing with Detroit. We still got a 1st round pick out of that one.
Dorion got the best he could under the circumstances for Debrincat. The issue is that both Tarasenko and Debrincat should never have been on the team in the first place.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Dorion got the best he could under the circumstances for Debrincat. The issue is that both Tarasenko and Debrincat should never have been on the team in the first place.

Nah. He created a salary cap situation that meant we couldn't make a proper decision with Debrincat. We got less than deadline rental pricing on Debrincat.

Reactions: bert

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
And let's not forget, Tank was not signed or touched by any other team in the NHL on July 1. Not only that, he was not signed until July 27! That tells me the interest level was low and his insistence on a full NMC was not received well by any other team in the NHL except for our loser GM. We are handcuffed once more and are left to receive table scraps. Again.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Nah. He created a salary cap situation that meant we couldn't make a proper decision with Debrincat. We got less than deadline rental pricing on Debrincat.
I agree he should have been traded at the deadline. But the core problem was trading 7OA in the first place.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And let's not forget, Tank was not signed or touched by any other team in the NHL on July 1. Not only that, he was not signed until July 27! That tells me the interest level was low and his insistence on a full NMC was not received well by any other team in the NHL except for our loser GM. We are handcuffed once more and are left to receive table scraps. Again.

There were initially reports he turned down offers from Florida, the Hurricanes and the Sharks that offseason, as well as a 4 year deal at 5.5 from us, before circling back and doing the 1 year deal with us. It seems he was hoping for term at first and wasn't getting what he wanted but there was enough out there for him to be willing to reject offers under the assumption that something better could materialize.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Learning that Tarasenko gave the Sens a single option changes things a lot. One thing that is different from the past is that the Sens actually bought a pick for 1/2 salary even if it was only a 3rd or 4h. In the past they were giving away a 2nd so the other team retained money or paid bonuses.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
It's not hard for this to get out considering Tarasenko isn't a mute.

"Hey Bill Zito, Vladdy Tarasenko here. Thought I might have reached you before you hit the links, but just calling to tell ya I've got only eyes for you, big boy, so just hold the line with little Stevey Staois and we'll be sippin' mai tais chez moi come Friday. Rarrr-rarr, Billy, rarrr-rarr. You know? Like a cat."

• Haha
Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just like Debrincat who only wanted to go home to Detroit & nowhere else, Tarasenko wanted to go to Florida & nowhere else. If Tarasenko wasn't going to get traded at deadline, he was going to leave in the off season when his contract ended July 1. It's a shit return, just like Debrincat's return was shit, we all agree on that. But two picks for Tarasenko is still better than nothing & arguing they could have done better is fruitless, if the player had no intention of lifting his NTC & Florida is not in the business of giving us more than they wanted to just because. Tarasenko did everything he was asked here & the management team decided that they should do well by him, otherwise that kind of thing goes around the league quickly & makes it even harder to attract good players to come here.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Tarasenko was an absolute professional for us and did his role well. Not sure if it rubbed our players the right way because the rest of the roster is still shite. Should've let Kubalik into the top 9, not because he's better than Tank, but because we could've used the money we spent on Tarasenko on a better bottom 6 player, especially with Pinto not confirmed.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
Tarasenko was a UFA who chose to sign in Ottawa, he was a free asset Sens gave up nothing but cap spoace for him, so the Sens got a 3rd/4th for nothing

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
A lot of excuses to rationalize a 4th round pick for Tarasenko ( who can fit in the top 6 , add depth, and provide PP scoring) to go help a team win a cup or extend their playoff run.
Insane to me lmao

Teams get as much for being third party in a trade and somehow people still defend this.

People became fine with being fan of a terrible organization over the past 7 years

To think some even defended Dorion and DJ Smith, 2 f***ing jokes

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Tarasenko was a UFA who chose to sign in Ottawa, he was a free asset Sens gave up nothing but cap spoace for him, so the Sens got a 3rd/4th for nothing
Unless I'm mistaken you and I are on the same page and I have no problem with seeing it your way.

The Tarasenko signing did put them in a financial bind with Pinto, unless Dorion knew about the suspension, so I don''t think Dorion is totally off the hook for that problem with the signing.

SensCup2028

Mar 6, 2024
Insane to me lmao

Teams get as much for being third party in a trade and somehow people still defend this.

People became fine with being fan of a terrible organization over the past 7 years

No they don’t. They get one pick, the sens got 2. What else were they going to get here?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Insane to me lmao

I think people saw everyone dunking on the Sens on the trade board and immediately went into defense/rationalize mode.

Easiest fans to please in the league.

Reactions: Rodzilla

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad