The Players' Tribune: Vladimir Tarasenko: Главная (Home)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It's not though. These articles are carefully written and edited, based most likely on recorded interviews.

That's what makes the soft bigotry of this article particularly odious. A journalist put this together in order to appeal to existing stereotypes about Slavs.

:laugh: You are joking right? Or just trying to get attention or something?

What's straight up bigotry would be forcing him not to have the article written where it could be read with how he would speak it. So I would argue that the complete opposite of what you are saying (wanting it written in proper English) is the more stereotypical approach.

:nod:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He's a hockey player. They are not known for their literary skills. Most sportsmen are too dumb to make two meaningful sentences one after another.

Then why are Western athletes made to seem articulate in these articles, while guys like Tarasenko aren't?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Then why are Western athletes made to seem articulate in these articles, while guys like Tarasenko aren't?

Why are you making this into a personal crusade?

Tarasenko undoubtedly had the right to edit and change any part of the article he did not like. He approved the article as is. Congrats on derailing a thread meant to discuss an interesting article written by a great player with your own perceived (imagined) slight.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Why are you making this into a personal crusade?

Tarasenko undoubtedly had the right to edit and change any part of the article he did not like. He approved the article as is. Congrats on derailing a thread meant to discuss an interesting article written by a great player with your own perceived (imagined) slight.

I am terribly sorry for ruining your day.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I am terribly sorry for ruining your day.

I assume you are being sarcastic, but I seriously doubt it is within your capacity to ruin my day.

Just don't understand why you seem so offended by this article and how it was written. Obviously Vova was not, or he would have changed it/not allowed it to be published.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I assume you are being sarcastic, but I seriously doubt it is within your capacity to ruin my day.

Just don't understand why you seem so offended by this article and how it was written.

I have given reasons as to why I object to the style of the article. You can engage with them if you like.

You accuse me of sabotaging this thread, but my post was about the article, which seems fair game. The thread is about the article and I am reacting to the article. And after making initial points I've been simply responding to other posters.

Obviously Vova was not, or he would have changed it/not allowed it to be published.

I do not doubt that Tarasenko approves of the article. But I don't think this is just about him. As a Russian, and as a Slav, I believe my point of view about the way my culture is represented in the West frankly matters.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
:laugh: You are joking right? Or just trying to get attention or something?

What's straight up bigotry would be forcing him not to have the article written where it could be read with how he would speak it. So I would argue that the complete opposite of what you are saying (wanting it written in proper English) is the more stereotypical approach.

:nod:
Actually, I will side with Fantomas here. Tarasenko's native Russian is just fine. That's not how he thinks and not how he talks in his native language. This is why there is such a thing as literary translation: where you do not translate words verbatim, but rather find corresponding cultural and semantic analogs in the target language. I'm a translator, I know. :)

This broken English makes him sound more illiterate than he is. I mean, he is no Larionov, but still.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
That's not how he thinks and not how he talks in his native language.

Which is why I think The Player's Tribune appeals to authenticity are truly freaking fake. Just style.

And people like this because they think players like Malkin and Tarasenko are clowns to be laughed at.

"I am score" = hilarious and cute, right?

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
So I'm curious, why can't these articles be translated properly? Or are all of the grammatical mistakes a matter of style?

I am sure that Tarasenko can write a solidly written article in his native tongue. What is gained by publishing this exactly except to reinforce existing cultural stereotypes?

I like it better with the grammar issues!

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Actually, I will side with Fantomas here. Tarasenko's native Russian is just fine. That's not how he thinks and not how he talks in his native language. This is why there is such a thing as literary translation: where you do not translate words verbatim, but rather find corresponding cultural and semantic analogs in the target language. I'm a translator, I know. :)

This broken English makes him sound more illiterate than he is. I mean, he is no Larionov, but still.

I don't think anyone thinks he's illiterate, most people understand that this is a translation and that grammar rules are different in other languages. I just like the way it sounds honestly.

Safarite

Jan 19, 2016
Which is why I think The Player's Tribune appeals to authenticity are truly freaking fake. Just style.

And people like this because they think players like Malkin and Tarasenko are clowns to be laughed at.

Honestly man, get over it. You seem to be in the minority here, which shows that the TPT is doing fine in appealing to most of us.

What's most important and what others have already mentioned is that Tarasenko undoubtedly had final say on if he wanted this article to be published or not. Why are you getting offended for him?

If this article really offended you that much, or the style in which it was written didn't appeal to you, simply don't read it. It's not that difficult.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016

Obviously you haven't read many articles from that site if you think the articles make them seem articulate. Most of them sound exactly like the person having a conversation with you, not someone writing to make them seem articulate.

Honestly, you're the type of person who ruins things for everyone, looking for something to cry about and demand change...whether their is something that is a problem or not.

Go away.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's a hockey player. They are not known for their literary skills. Most sportsmen are too dumb to make two meaningful sentences one after another. Not saying Tarasenko is like that; he seems to be an amazing guy who is probably way smarter than your average hockey player, but I don't understand why you act like he was a novelist forced to speak broken English.

Tarasenko speaks very good Russian, btw, not like your typical hockey player. The same can be said about Panarin. Malkin's Russian, for example, is kinda lower-class, but Geno isn't dumb at all. It's just his Russian isn't the most well spoken ever.

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Except this impression is an illusion. Articles "authored" by players for whom English is their mother tongue certainly do not sound like the player speaking to me. The writing is cleaned up, well structured, grammatically sound and only written to seem spontaneous.

If the actual values behind this publication was that we would be given genuine, unedited statements by players then all articles would have grammatical mistakes in them.

There is nothing better than someone calling a genuine first person account from the person bigoted. Dude you are the worst get over yourself.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I understand the point you're making. But I think you are wrong about the way the language is perceived. I believe most people read the article and think, "This is a guy speaking English as a 2nd language." But he also clearly expresses his message. His passion comes across vividly. His love for his family. His care and appreciation for his teammates. I don't see anything that puts Tarasenko in a bad light or that is subject to jokes or ridicule. In other words, I think you're fending off a negative stereotype that isn't really at work here. Almost a paranoia.

If he'd been French and it read similarly, I don't think there would be anything to that other than he was boldly speaking a 2nd language which in that case, his native tongue was French. Why does it have anything to do with a stereotype for Slavs?

I remember his first live English interview. He avoided them for quite a while. But when HOF Bernie Federko grabbed him (I think it was after a hat trick or some similar feat) he was too respectful to turn him down. But the entire Blues fandom wanted to hear from him. The English wasn't perfect, but the message was easy to understand. No one I know ever made fun of his English. They just fell in love with his personality. I think he represents the best of Slavic culture, and this article is simply one more chance to shine a light on that. His grandfather's role in his life is strongly rooted in his culture and upbringing.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Christ these articles are good. I can't get enough of them.

However like some others have said.. I totally read this with a Russian accent in my head LOL

meenamjah

Apr 8, 2012
So I'm curious, why can't these articles be translated properly? Or are all of the grammatical mistakes a matter of style?

I am sure that Tarasenko can write a solidly written article in his native tongue. What is gained by publishing this exactly except to reinforce existing cultural stereotypes?

isn't it obvious that he wrote this himself?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I like the way it was written. It definitely feels much more like Tarasenko the way it's written.

Don't cheapen it.

I agree. I very much enjoyed it as it was written. I'm a big Tarasenko fan and have seen a ton of his interviews. It made it easy to picture him taking through it.

I do not doubt that Tarasenko approves of the article. But I don't think this is just about him. As a Russian, and as a Slav, I believe my point of view about the way my culture is represented in the West frankly matters.

When you write an article feel free to use whatever the grammatical format of your choice. This was his article and he chose to have it published that way. It's not all about you.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
who ****ing cares how it was written, if you're not happy about it then don't read it.

great article as usual per the Player's Tribute.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

I noticed the english got better as the article went further. The last 4-5 paragraphs are almost perfect grammatically. Perhaps it was intentionally written that way...starting off not knowing as much English but the longer he is here, the better it gets. Just a thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad