The Players' Tribune: Vladimir Tarasenko: Главная (Home)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Every night after school, me, my grandpa � we go out to rink. We don�t have car, so we take bus. O.K., not bad. But then from the bus stop we walk to rink, maybe 15 minutes. We skate for hours. No exaggeration here. All night, we just skate. I remember looking one time at little thermometer on bench: �30�C. Very usual Siberian night. (In U.S. I see news show with story, like, �Blizzard is coming!� Hahaha. I am like, Oh, you think that is blizzard? Man, you don�t know blizzard.)

https://theplayerstribune.com/vladimir-tarasenko-st-louis-blues-nhl/

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Good read. I hope that either Tarasenko wrote this or they wrote it from transcripts, because it makes me cringe to think the website purposefully edited it to make it sound like broken English.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I don't think anyone can read it without a Russian accent :)

Glad they left it raw. It's basically how he sounds in interviews and such.
Great to hear what he says about the city and Jackman. STL is indeed a beautiful city that gets a bad rap and Jackman is a wonderful person. Never understood the haters there.

Anyways, great article!

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I do remember going out for food, during camp, with a few Blues guys. I see soup … as appetizer. I’ve gotta tell you guys, soup is not appetizer. This is not right. It is full meal. You know, borscht? Yes — that is full meal. You eat it, it’s good, you don’t need anything else.
:laugh:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
My grandpa told me my dad is strong like this. I didn’t see him much at this time. On TV, a little, and in person, sometimes. But then, when I get highlights of his games, I watch close. My first memory of this is from Olympic Games in 1994. He comes home, from Lillehammer, after the tournament, with a video. This tape has all of my dad’s games from the two weeks, plus the full closing ceremony. So, you know, I watch this. Rewind. Watch again. Rewind. Watch again. I can’t believe how hard he shoots. But what I remember most is the passing. I’m telling you, it’s insane. On tape of teammate every time. Pass, bang, on tape. Every time.

So I go out with my grandpa a few weeks later. Pass, bang, on tape. Every time.

No, I’m just kidding. Only sometime.

O.K., we work on this.

Got a pretty solid chuckle out of that one.

Can't say enough positive things about Vladimir Tarasenko as a person. He's a great hockey player, and the Blues are incredibly lucky to have him on their team, but what really stands out most to me is his humility and respect for the game, his teammates, and hit opponents. He is just genuinely a great human being, who also happens to be a very good hockey player.

When Kevin Fiala went crashing into the boards during the Blues preds series, it was a very scary moment. Probably best not to rewatch the incident if you've already seen it. However, if you do rewatch it, take a second and look at who is helping the stretcher out onto the ice and towards Fiala. It's Tarasenko.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Makes me want to get a Tarasenko jersey. He is my favorite non-red wing player already..

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So I'm curious, why can't these articles be translated properly? Or are all of the grammatical mistakes a matter of style?

I am sure that Tarasenko can write a solidly written article in his native tongue. What is gained by publishing this exactly except to reinforce existing cultural stereotypes?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Would an article about a Western European player have grammatical mistakes in it?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So I'm curious, why can't these articles be translated properly? Or are all of the grammatical mistakes a matter of style?

I am sure that Tarasenko can write a solidly written article in his native tongue. What is gained by publishing this exactly except to reinforce existing cultural stereotypes?

I feels more authentic to me the way it's broken English. I mean that's how he talks in interviews and such too. Kind of neat if you ask me. You got some personality in those words.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Would an article about a Western European player have grammatical mistakes in it?

The players tribune is about the players own words. I'm sure he was offered by someone to clean up the language if he wanted.

I liked it. It offered a very unique voice to the story. I don't think owning broken English makes the player look bad here.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The players tribune is about the players own words.

It's not though. These articles are carefully written and edited, based most likely on recorded interviews.

That's what makes the soft bigotry of this article particularly odious. A journalist put this together in order to appeal to existing stereotypes about Slavs.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

These are first person oral histories for an English speaking audience. It should read/sound like Tarasenko is talking to you - he speaks in broken English. When I read Players Tribune articles from African American NBA and NFL players from inner city backgrounds I want to read/hear them as they really are - not some whiter than white college educated editor correcting their grammar.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
It's not though. These articles are carefully written and edited, based most likely on recorded interviews.

That's what makes the soft bigotry of this article particularly odious. A journalist put this together in order to appeal to existing stereotypes about Slavs.

:laugh:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
These are first person oral histories for an English speaking audience. It should read/sound like Tarasenko is talking to you

Except this impression is an illusion. Articles "authored" by players for whom English is their mother tongue certainly do not sound like the player speaking to me. The writing is cleaned up, well structured, grammatically sound and only written to seem spontaneous.

If the actual values behind this publication was that we would be given genuine, unedited statements by players then all articles would have grammatical mistakes in them.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Except this impression is an illusion. Articles "authored" by players for whom English is their mother tongue certainly do not sound like the player speaking to me. The writing is cleaned up, well structured, grammatically sound and only written to seem spontaneous.

If the actual values behind this publication was that we would be given genuine, unedited statements by players then all articles would have grammatical mistakes in them.

oh look who's passing judgement in a biased way on 'jocks' assuming they are not literate enough to write a 1000 word oral history. :sarcasm:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
As for African American players from inner city neighborhoods, for most of them English is their mother tongue and they come from a cultural tradition in which they use their language in a particular way.

Tarasenko's cultural tradition, in which he speaks proper and clean Russian, is in no way represented by this article.

JVRbot

May 7, 2017

party_pooper.jpg

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
As for African American players from inner city neighborhoods, for most of them English is their mother tongue and they come from a cultural tradition in which they use their language in a particular way.

Tarasenko's cultural tradition, in which he speaks proper and clean Russian, is in no way represented by this article.

He's a hockey player. They are not known for their literary skills. Most sportsmen are too dumb to make two meaningful sentences one after another. Not saying Tarasenko is like that; he seems to be an amazing guy who is probably way smarter than your average hockey player, but I don't understand why you act like he was a novelist forced to speak broken English.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad