The Players' Tribune: Vladimir Tarasenko: Главная (Home)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Actually, I will side with Fantomas here. Tarasenko's native Russian is just fine. That's not how he thinks and not how he talks in his native language. This is why there is such a thing as literary translation: where you do not translate words verbatim, but rather find corresponding cultural and semantic analogs in the target language. I'm a translator, I know. :)

This broken English makes him sound more illiterate than he is. I mean, he is no Larionov, but still.

How so? Because its written how he speaks? We all know he is Russian, the title is in Russian. If someone who doesn't know Tarasenko opened this article could figure out he was Russian due to the title and the content and the fact that he says he is Russian and from Russia.

If someone is going to think he is illiterate after knowing all that then I would blame the reader for not making the connection. Not the writer. That's silly to take that context out. Makes no sense and the whole feel of the article loses it's character. Vlad does not speak proper / perfect English, reading his words how he would speak them hits a lot harder and gives much more emotion than something edited to death where it's not even how he would tell the story to someone personally.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Except this impression is an illusion. Articles "authored" by players for whom English is their mother tongue certainly do not sound like the player speaking to me. The writing is cleaned up, well structured, grammatically sound and only written to seem spontaneous.

If the actual values behind this publication was that we would be given genuine, unedited statements by players then all articles would have grammatical mistakes in them.

Meh. The point is it's the story the player wants to tell in their own words (if helped along). It's not the journalist's angle, or the NHL's angle, or the front office's angle. It's the player's voice, even if they use professional writers to help them communicate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad