Post-Game Talk: Visually, I don't think we visualized the visualisation.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I keep hearing the propaganda that we loose by 1 goal so we are close.
The sad truth is we need 2 more goals to win a game and our average is under 2 goals per game so we need to DOUBLE our scoring.
We lost 2 - 1 yesterday and need 2 more goals to win it. That's TRIPLE the goals we got.

So when we get 1 less goal we loose by 2, not a 1 goal game.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The problem with the Oilers is that the two basic game plans work equally well against them. I'm not talking system details or anything but the two basic game plans: come out and attack OR sit back and play a patient "road" type game looking to capitalize on mistakes because you know the mistakes will happen with this club (and big ones).

The Ducks used the former. The shots were 10-1 when they scored the first goal and about 20-10 when they scored the second goal. Once they went up 2-0 the actual shots on net were then even through the rest of the game.

That's the thing really...teams know if they get up a goal or two the Oilers are essentially done. There is little true fight in them and well the team isn't good enough on paper anyways. So what you get is a team that is simply easy beat. Teams can pressure without worry of any meaningful counter attacks or they can sit back and know that even if they are under pressure an Oiler is going to try to toe drag 3 players at the blueline or there will be a blown coverage so bad it will be turned into a "this guy scored" example or poor goaltending etc.

In essence, teams don't really even need to try to beat the Oilers. This is what one visually notices when one watches every game (or near so..wife's a fan).

Again not an Oiler fan but this honestly was all too predictable looking at how the team is still constructed (and who is constructing it). OK maybe not as bad as this but they would be flirting with the basement no matter what I think. The Oilers beat themselves during the summer and before the puck even dropped to start the season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The sad truth is we need 2 more goals to win a game and our average is under 2 goals per game so we need to DOUBLE our scoring.
We lost 2 - 1 yesterday and need 2 more goals to win it. That's TRIPLE the goals we got.

Unless we make it to a shootout ;)

The reality is that offense is so few and far between with this group right now that it may as well have been a 3 goal lead.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Eh I wouldn't write that team off so easily.

Smyth, Guerin, Weight, that's two 30+ goal scorers + a 100 point center. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak have hype, but right now they're not producing at this level.

Marchant, Grier very effective lower line players who could chip in offense. They were outproducing the likes of Perron and Purcell.

Mironov, Hamrlik ... better than any two D we have now. Way more offence from the 90s blue line.

Cujo ... legit no.1 goalie far better than Scrivens or Fasth.

Talent wise that group had talent. We just didn't have the money to keep them together.

It's like we're cursed from all the early success. When we had good teams, we never had the money to keep the players. Now that we have the money, our players suck. I think it's a case of GM's working harder and smarter when they have a budget. Once you give them free reign on spending they become the equivalent of a teenage boy with a briefcase full of cash in a whorehouse.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Never said I had more insight, I just have more at stake since I go to game. It was in response your fair weather fan comment.

I do believe I have more insight, not because I go to games but know a few members of Oiler's staff. (Not Joey Moss, but I'd like to be friends with him too. He seems pretty awesome.)

I don't get mad at fans who boo the team. They're voicing their opinions to the team, who aren't playing well. I see no point in being negative in a place where I thought people came to cheer for the team.

:huh:

The team has finished 30th, 30th, 29th, 23rd (which was headed towards 30th), 28th and is now 30th after losing 13 out of 14. Are you really surprised that fans are negative about the team?

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I've been to every home game in the last 5 years, so I probably have more at stake on how the team does than you who probably just shut off the television after we're down by one. Fair weather fans are people who only support the team when they're winning and ragging on them when they're not.

You think the team is purposely trying to lose? Why wouldn't I celebrate every win we get? I see absolutely no point in marginalizing wins.

Big deal. I have been a fan since they were the Alberta Oilers of the WHA. We used to go to games when we lived in Edmonton too. I still cheer for them even though I haven't lived in Edmonton for decades.

I go watch them when I get the chance.

Here is some data for you to mull over.

They are on pace for a 54 point season.

They are on pace for a -99 goal differential.

The team is getting worse, not better. The last time they were remotely competitive Penner, Horcoff and Hemsky were the first line. Let that sink in for a second before carrying on. Try not to cry.

The "kids" are still poor in d-zone coverage and still make the same jaw droppingly idiotic mistakes and giveaways.

Kids is in quotes because Taylor Hall is 23 years old and in his 5th pro season.

Jordan Eberle is 24 and is in his 6th pro season.

RNH is only 21 but in his 4th pro season.

Yak is 21 as well and in his 3rd season. I will give him credit in that his defensive game is showing progress. But he still goes into spaz mode at random moments during games and still can't seem to mesh with his linemates.

I'll cut Schultz a bit of slack but this is his 3rd season of pro hockey but he is 24 years old and he is developing in reverse.

And 3 of the above were 1st over all picks.

So exactly what small victories am I supposed to take from all this.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Hopefully nobody caught the mumps.

zCZbLBNQG_M206Yj9bkCZrAQpWJfBx74JDFWeGAQr2c.jpg

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Eh I wouldn't write that team off so easily.

Smyth, Guerin, Weight, that's two 30+ goal scorers + a 100 point center. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak have hype, but right now they're not producing at this level.

Marchant, Grier very effective lower line players who could chip in offense. They were outproducing the likes of Perron and Purcell.

Mironov, Hamrlik ... better than any two D we have now. Way more offence from the 90s blue line.

Cujo ... legit no.1 goalie far better than Scrivens or Fasth.

Talent wise that group had talent. We just didn't have the money to keep them together.

lol, you can't compare that team to this worst in the league garbage for sure. I did mention " Great top line, Great checking line and a bit of meh in between" The team
was good, but we barely made the playoffs. Middling team.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I've been to every home game in the last 5 years, so I probably have more at stake on how the team does than you who probably just shut off the television after we're down by one. Fair weather fans are people who only support the team when they're winning and ragging on them when they're not.

You think the team is purposely trying to lose? Why wouldn't I celebrate every win we get? I see absolutely no point in marginalizing wins.

Look I applaud you for spending money and being loyal but its that loyalty to this organization thats partly to blame. Why does Lowe keep getting promoted and MacT for doing such a piss poor job? ITs because the Oilers are successful financially they rake in all that dough and haven't iced a top tier team in over 20 years. One magical run in 2006 and they pat themselves on the back. I get that true fans should stick with a team thick or thin but after awhile people need to get mad. This cannot continue any longer. I have not seen my favourite team in the playoffs for near a decade now. You of all people should be more mad than me since you're spending so much money on them!

ANd yes they are purposely trying to lose. THey have basically been the one of few teams to say they are rebuilding and not trying to improve their team once in freefall mode. THat is TANKING and the OIlers do it. TO me that is trying to lose. Look at this year. Maclean had a .500 record and gets fired. Oilers are what 10 games under .500 (too lazy to look up) and Eakins gets to keep his job.

Its filling RExall and continuing financial support that keeps the OIlers from feeling real pressure to improve.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
Look I applaud you for spending money and being loyal but its that loyalty to this organization thats partly to blame. Why does Lowe keep getting promoted and MacT for doing such a piss poor job? ITs because the Oilers are successful financially they rake in all that dough and haven't iced a top tier team in over 20 years. One magical run in 2006 and they pat themselves on the back. I get that true fans should stick with a team thick or thin but after awhile people need to get mad. This cannot continue any longer. I have not seen my favourite team in the playoffs for near a decade now. You of all people should be more mad than me since you're spending so much money on them!

ANd yes they are purposely trying to lose. THey have basically been the one of few teams to say they are rebuilding and not trying to improve their team once in freefall mode. THat is TANKING and the OIlers do it. TO me that is trying to lose. Look at this year. Maclean had a .500 record and gets fired. Oilers are what 10 games under .500 (too lazy to look up) and Eakins gets to keep his job.

Its filling RExall and continuing financial support that keeps the OIlers from feeling real pressure to improve.

A little curious. Anyone know what the percentage increase to season tickets has been since the '06 run?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The problem with the Oilers is that the two basic game plans work equally well against them. I'm not talking system details or anything but the two basic game plans: come out and attack OR sit back and play a patient "road" type game looking to capitalize on mistakes because you know the mistakes will happen with this club (and big ones).

The Ducks used the former. The shots were 10-1 when they scored the first goal and about 20-10 when they scored the second goal. Once they went up 2-0 the actual shots on net were then even through the rest of the game.

That's the thing really...teams know if they get up a goal or two the Oilers are essentially done. There is little true fight in them and well the team isn't good enough on paper anyways. So what you get is a team that is simply easy beat. Teams can pressure without worry of any meaningful counter attacks or they can sit back and know that even if they are under pressure an Oiler is going to try to toe drag 3 players at the blueline or there will be a blown coverage so bad it will be turned into a "this guy scored" example or poor goaltending etc.

In essence, teams don't really even need to try to beat the Oilers. This is what one visually notices when one watches every game (or near so..wife's a fan).

Again not an Oiler fan but this honestly was all too predictable looking at how the team is still constructed (and who is constructing it). OK maybe not as bad as this but they would be flirting with the basement no matter what I think. The Oilers beat themselves during the summer and before the puck even dropped to start the season.
Great post. You couldn't have more accurately nailed this team down.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Best team in the league. 1 goal game. Could've been worse.

Was the game ever in doubt? Were we really in it? Ducks win virtually all of their games by one goal. It doesn't for a second mean that they are not in complete control of the outcome.

We got something like 12 shots in the first two periods. lol. owned.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014

Confirmed a suspicion.

This "we've been so close" every game should not encourage anyone.

The sad reality is, teams don't need to bring any jam when they play us. Why take offensive risks when, as you point out, they can easily sit on their heels and counter-punch.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And they're all the same. Regardless of the opponent and the situation. Gotcha. Funny how beating San Jose on their second of back to back road games was the excuse for why we won, but not applicable when we lost to arguably the best team in the league under the same circumstances.

How is it the same circumstance? Sharks could care less about beating lesser teams and know they will finish in the playoffs. They only really come out against better squads because they know if they're going anywhere this is who they need to compete with.

Sharks also played 3 games in 4 nights which is not in anyway close to the easy schedule the Oilers had leading into the two game set.

One team should be desperate and play desperate for wins. This team failed to even show up in the first two periods of the game.

One team is also very established and know they can dial up a winning effort and style of play on a dime. The other is quite content with losing and showing up for brief portions of games and pretending that is enough.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Confirmed a suspicion.

This "we've been so close" every game should not encourage anyone.

The sad reality is, teams don't need to bring any jam when they play us. Why take offensive risks when, as you point out, they can easily sit on their heels and counter-punch.

Its by no means an accident that we lose a lot of one goal games. Most opponents can score at will against us if a game is tied. The vast majority of Oilers games involve the opponent jumping to a multiple goal lead followed by the Oilers lulling the opponent to sleep through non physical and non competitive play. With the Oil usually cranking the intensity for 10mins and getting a goal or two back.

If this team actually consistently played 60mins that would give a better indication of the jam that this team has. Unfortunately the org is dressing it up as things like misfortune, bad luck, bad PDO (lol) and just not being able to solve close games and come out with results. But that is inherently the wrong message for this struggling team. To get results this club needs to play with intensity from puck drop on and not even look at eking out a close result. They should look at trying to dominate games like Calgary does through hardwork, enthusiasm, adherence to system and teamplay.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A little curious. Anyone know what the percentage increase to season tickets has been since the '06 run?

Almost 100% increase in average ticket pricing.

According to Forbes average in 2006 season was 43bucks(there had been an increase already after the SC run but I couldn't find earlier year numbers.)

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/31/biz_06nhl_Edmonton-Oilers_314229.html

Last year average estimated at 76bucks. Keeping in mind this is STH average. Actual per game ticket prices are much higher average.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/edmonton-oilers/

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton

Lol what a ridiculous way to look at it. 2-1 is a close game in that one or two bounces either way could have changed the outcome. Perhaps the puck doesn't bounce over Hall's stick and Kesler doesn't get that chance. Maybe Anderson misses one save. Who knows.

In a game of 100 events all it takes is two to change for the Oilers to win that game potentially.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Simple math lesson for you guys....

An increase in ticket pricing from 43 dollars to 76 dollars is not almost 100 %. It is a 77 % increase. You're at least misrepresenting that value if not outright intentionally misleading.

Not taking away from the broader point that ticket prices rising so much when the product is poor (both on the ice and in the concessions/other amenities) is stupid.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Never said I had more insight, I just have more at stake since I go to game. It was in response your fair weather fan comment.

I do believe I have more insight, not because I go to games but know a few members of Oiler's staff. (Not Joey Moss, but I'd like to be friends with him too. He seems pretty awesome.)

I don't get mad at fans who boo the team. They're voicing their opinions to the team, who aren't playing well. I see no point in being negative in a place where I thought people came to cheer for the team.
See I never just did things just to do them. C'mon, what am I gonna do? Just all of a sudden just jump and grind my feet in somebody's couch like it's something to do? C'mon, I got a little more sense than that.

Yeah I'm remember grinding my feet in Eddie's couch.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Simple math lesson for you guys....

An increase in ticket pricing from 43 dollars to 76 dollars is not almost 100 %. It is a 77 % increase. You're at least misrepresenting that value if not outright intentionally misleading.

Not taking away from the broader point that ticket prices rising so much when the product is poor (both on the ice and in the concessions/other amenities) is stupid.

The Forbes valuation to the best of my knowledge was at the start of the 06-07 season. The ticket prices had already rose significantly that season. I believe they were average of below 40bucks the year before, the SC Run year. just to clarify, which you could have got from my post.

So in essence, yes, that the ticket prices have increased in the neighborhood of 100% SINCE the SC run season is bang on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad