Post-Game Talk: Visually, I don't think we visualized the visualisation.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
A loss is still a loss. Obvious, huh?

And they're all the same. Regardless of the opponent and the situation. Gotcha. Funny how beating San Jose on their second of back to back road games was the excuse for why we won, but not applicable when we lost to arguably the best team in the league under the same circumstances.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And they're all the same. Regardless of the opponent and the situation. Gotcha. Funny how beating San Jose on their second of back to back road games was the excuse for why we won, but not applicable when we lost to arguably the best team in the league under the same circumstances.

Minus Perry. We were badly outplayed for much of the game as well, the score flattered us IMO.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

So what's the excuse going to be when they play again in the next few days against the same ducks team when they also lose? More moral victories?

mkwong268

Dec 30, 2011

That's how HFOil works now. Wins are marginalized but there can't be any excuses for losses. Maybe this is why the PGT are empty and not because fans don't care. This is just becoming a pretty toxic environment for people who just want to cheer for the team. Main reason why I spend most of my time on r/hockey now where fans are self-deprecating but far less ragging on the team by people who are suppose to be fans.

Is being negative all the time going to help the team? Might as well just enjoy the wins and shake off the losses. If all you really care about is wins and losses then go hop on Calgary's bandwagon or something.

-signed tier one fan

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
That's how HFOil works now. Wins are marginalized but there can't be any excuses for losses. Maybe this is why the PGT are empty and not because fans don't care. This is just becoming a pretty toxic environment for people who just want to cheer for the team. Main reason why I spend most of my time on r/hockey now where fans are self-deprecating but far less ragging on the team by people who are suppose to be fans.

Is being negative all the time going to help the team? Might as well just enjoy the wins and shake off the losses. If all you really care about is wins and losses then go hop on Calgary's bandwagon or something.

-signed tier one fan

Lol, oh please. Enjoy small wins, but ignore the years of losing? Yes, let's win one game, and follow it up with a losing streak right after. Talk about a fairweather fan comment.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

-signed tier one fan

Carry on cheering on the team instead of putting heat on the guys keeping us in the dumpster, I mean hell that's worked so well for us hasn't it?

Keep on blindly supporting this dumpster fire, management loves folks like you. Just don't expect a winning team anytime soon. In the meantime you can just pat yourself on the back for being a tier 1 fan.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lol, oh please. Enjoy small wins, but ignore the years of losing? Yes, let's win one game, and follow it up with a losing streak right after. Talk about a fairweather fan comment.

Wins are marginalized because they don't mean a damn thing outside of adversely affecting draft position. That's what happens when you're out of the playoff race by Halloween year after year.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Wins are marginalized because they don't mean a damn thing outside of adversely affecting draft position. That's what happens when you're out of the playoff race by Halloween year after year.

I'll greatly appreciate it, if oilers hockey were even meaningful at this month. Unfortunately, its another year of bottom 5 picks, same old boys club, and draft lottery.

mkwong268

Dec 30, 2011

I've been to every home game in the last 5 years, so I probably have more at stake on how the team does than you who probably just shut off the television after we're down by one. Fair weather fans are people who only support the team when they're winning and ragging on them when they're not.

You think the team is purposely trying to lose? Why wouldn't I celebrate every win we get? I see absolutely no point in marginalizing wins.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I've been to every home game in the last 5 years, so I probably have more at stake on how the team does than you who probably just shut off the television after we're down by one. Fair weather fans are people who only support the team when they're winning and ragging on them when they're not.

You think the team is purposely trying to lose? Why wouldn't I celebrate every win we get? I see absolutely no point in marginalizing wins.

Oh, so you have better insight since you go to games? Sucks to be you. I'll keep my money instead of supporting an organization who shows no accountability. Must be great for Katz to know that he sucker fans like yourself with the money he gets. I see absolutely no point in the supposed problem of fans being negative or positive of the team. But go again, and tell me much more of your insight, because you attend games. You must get mad at fans who boo the team there too right? :laugh:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Oh, and stubhub has oiler tickets at a minimum $7. More cheaper than the crack beer. I can easily go to games if I wanted to, so don't try to pull your lowe tier fan crap on me. You're not superior in any way, just because you choose to go to games, while I don't. Mr. Tier 1 fan.

mkwong268

Dec 30, 2011
Oh, so you have better insight since you go to games? Sucks to be you. I'll keep my money instead of supporting an organization who shows no accountability. Must be great for Katz to know that he sucker fans like yourself with the money he gets. I see absolutely no point in the supposed problem of fans being negative or positive of the team. But go again, and tell me much more of your insight, because you attend games. You must get mad at fans who boo the team there too right? :laugh:

Never said I had more insight, I just have more at stake since I go to game. It was in response your fair weather fan comment.

I do believe I have more insight, not because I go to games but know a few members of Oiler's staff. (Not Joey Moss, but I'd like to be friends with him too. He seems pretty awesome.)

I don't get mad at fans who boo the team. They're voicing their opinions to the team, who aren't playing well. I see no point in being negative in a place where I thought people came to cheer for the team.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Never said I had more insight, I just have more at stake since I go to game. It was in response your fair weather fan comment.

I do believe I have more insight, not because I go to games but know a few members of Oiler's staff. (Not Joey Moss, but I'd like to be friends with him too. He seems pretty awesome.)

I don't get mad at fans who boo the team. They're voicing their opinions to the team, who aren't playing well. I see no point in being negative in a place where I thought people came to cheer for the team.

Doesn't take a lot of insight to know the oilers management are a bunch of incompetent idiots either. Well, this is a place where oiler fans are able to vent on how they feel about the team, is it not? I'm still cheering for the team. Still a huge fan of plenty of the players, but I'm a huge critic of our management who gives the same process, patience, and other crap every year. I've seen other teams turf their management/coaches and shown accountability. Here? Nothing. There's many reasons why this team is getting ridiculed with toxic negative fans. When guys like Cogliano come out and say when he played for the oilers, on game nights, they had games where they felt they were going to lose. For former players to bash this team's culture is why this team is so putrid. Our owner is "upset" but never shows up to address anything at all. Just a yearly apology letter along with increasing oiler ticket prices. Then we have 6 rings as the POHO still for no reason. Can't forget about LaForge who blames empty seats on the weather. And you wonder why fans are toxic?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

You're mistaken at the purpose of this forum I think. This forum is a place for Oiler fans to come together and discuss the good and bad of the team. To cheer and rage. This is a place where people are able to voice their opinions along with others who are as passionate about the team as they are.

As for you having more stake... in what way? Having the financial ability to attend every game does not grant you additional emotional stake into this hockey team. Just because people can't/don't put thousands of dollars every year into Oiler tickets doesn't mean they don't take as much emotionally, whether joy, or anger as you or anyone else who attends games.

Most of this sub forum is full of die hard Oiler fans. Many of us have been fans of this team as long as we can remember. Practically our whole lives. For the older crowd, they've been fans of this team since its inception into the NHL (and before)! Ripping the worst organization the NHL has ever seen does not make any Oiler fan here a fair weather fan. It's all there is left to do. You can't just ask people to just shrug off loss after loss after loss. People care too much about this team to not get angry about it. Insinuating that the fans here who have been watching this gong show for 9 years running are fair weather fans is frankly insulting. A fair weather fan would have given up after the first 30th place finished and not given the Oilers a second thought since.

This forum provides us with an outlet that we often don't have in our day to day lives.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I really miss the late 90's, our teams were awesome. Its funny how it was also the time in which the Oilers proclaimed that the team was at a disadvantage salary wise. Yet here we are with a near maxed salary and the absolute worst team in the league for last 8 years.

We'll it was all heart, but trust me ..... we were average, but hard working team. Great top line, Great checking line and a bit of meh in between.
2006 was special after the deadline to the end, but I havn't seen GREAT Oilers hockey since ... 1991?

Although I'd admit the late-90's teams where fun to watch, getting Dallas year after year ... was not.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We'll it was all heart, but trust me ..... we were average, but hard working team. Great top line, Great checking line and a bit of meh in between.
2006 was special after the deadline to the end, but I havn't seen GREAT Oilers hockey since ... 1991?

Although I'd admit the late-90's teams where fun to watch, getting Dallas year after year ... was not.

Eh I wouldn't write that team off so easily.

Smyth, Guerin, Weight, that's two 30+ goal scorers + a 100 point center. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak have hype, but right now they're not producing at this level.

Marchant, Grier very effective lower line players who could chip in offense. They were outproducing the likes of Perron and Purcell.

Mironov, Hamrlik ... better than any two D we have now. Way more offence from the 90s blue line.

Cujo ... legit no.1 goalie far better than Scrivens or Fasth.

Talent wise that group had talent. We just didn't have the money to keep them together.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
This team is hot garbage right now and has been for the last 5 years. Maybe if our precious tier 1 fans got a clue and stopped buying this horse **** and held the management accountable, we'd be in a much different situation right now (real professional management to operate the organization) and have a team that could compete every night.

Some of the most loyal and long suffering Oilers fans grace this board and hearing their knowledgeable opinions is a privilege. I really doubt people that still fork over cash and continue to buy Lowe and MacT's hype have that much insight into this team. Give your heads a shake, the same people who destroyed the team are still running it. Fool me once. I can still be a fan of the team but I sure as hell won't defend this abomination. I'll call it out every single chance I get. This management group is way past their expiry date and just hearing them talk, continuously deflect criticism and blame, and constantly make excuses enrages me. Enough is enough.

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Eh I wouldn't write that team off so easily.

Smyth, Guerin, Weight, that's two 30+ goal scorers + a 100 point center. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak have hype, but right now they're not producing at this level.

Marchant, Grier very effective lower line players who could chip in offense. They were outproducing the likes of Perron and Purcell.

Mironov, Hamrlik ... better than any two D we have now. Way more offence from the 90s blue line.

Cujo ... legit no.1 goalie far better than Scrivens or Fasth.

Talent wise that group had talent. We just didn't have the money to keep them together.

Easily one of my favorite Oilers lines of all time.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
This team is hot garbage right now and has been for the last 5 years. Maybe if our precious tier 1 fans got a clue and stopped buying this horse **** and held the management accountable, we'd be in a much different situation right now (real professional management to operate the organization) and have a team that could compete every night.

Some of the most loyal and long suffering Oilers fans grace this board and hearing their knowledgeable opinions is a privilege. I really doubt people that still fork over cash and continue to buy Lowe and MacT's hype have that much insight into this team. Give your heads a shake, the same people who destroyed the team are still running it. Fool me once. I can still be a fan of the team but I sure as hell won't defend this abomination. I'll call it out every single chance I get. This management group is way past their expiry date and just hearing them talk, continuously deflect criticism and blame, and constantly make excuses enrages me. Enough is enough.

But, but , but... Advanced stats! One win in a month! This team is on the upswing!!!

I mean, we're visually on the upswing, right? We've been getting more moral victories in the last two weeks than we have all year!

What's that? Moral victories don't count for points in the standings? Moral victories are still losses, eh?

Oh well. At least we have advanced stats!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
But, but , but... Advanced stats! One win in a month! This team is on the upswing!!!

I mean, we're visually on the upswing, right? We've been getting more moral victories in the last two weeks than we have all year!

What's that? Moral victories don't count for points in the standings? Moral victories are still losses, eh?

Oh well. At least we have advanced stats!

Just you wait until that PDO swings around! We're visually a playoff team right now. Just a bit of bad luck. Patience, my friend!

Jul 19, 2012
I know it's been a rough season, but you guys realize we lost by one goal to arguably the best team in the league, on our second of back to back road games, right? A little perspective might be in order on this one.

Perspective is a euphamism of visualizing how much better we are than last year.

Sorry but I watched the first 2 periods. Fasth played great and Rene Bourque showed why Calgary and Montreal gave up on him as he had 4 glorious scoring chances and shot wide each time. It easily could have been 5-0 going into the 3rd.

These "we only lost by one goal" apologists, headed by MacT, Eakins and Stauffer, only serve to make the problem worse as they insinuate the team is better than it actually is. It is only made worse by the advanced stats geeks saying how our "puck luck" is due to turn around and how great we are as a Corsi team.

It is beyond frustrating.

I went to bed after the 2nd period. IT was the worst game of the year and I was in the stands for the Chicago game. I think that says something.

Terrible team, no heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad