Visitor's Locker Room (Ticket talk, Restaurants, Fantasy Questions, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
If possible I would look at nearby cities and not live in reston. It's one of the more expensive places in the county (maybe you have money :) ) but if you do, Reston is 15 mins from Tysons corner which is basically a super mall (hugeeeee) (top 10 biggest mall in USA) it has everything from restaurants to stores etc

If I live there, I'd be staying with three people I'm cool with so we'd possibly rent out a house. I also don't have a car or even a driver's license, so I'd really prefer to live near where I work.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
If I live there, I'd be staying with three people I'm cool with so we'd possibly rent out a house. I also don't have a car or even a driver's license, so I'd really prefer to live near where I work.

Well the Silver Line metro now goes to Reston so if you can get near one of the stations your pretty golden getting around.

Reston itself is pretty unique compared to the other areas in NoVa.

Reston was planned with the following principles, as stated by Robert E. Simon in 1962:

In the creation of Reston, Virginia, these are the major goals:

That the widest choice of opportunities be made available for the full use of leisure time. This means that the New Town should provide a wide range of cultural and recreational facilities as well as an environment for privacy.
That it be possible for anyone to remain in a single neighborhood throughout his life, uprooting being neither inevitable nor always desirable. By providing the fullest range of housing styles and prices – from high-rise efficiencies to 6-bedroom townhouses and detached houses – housing needs can be met at a variety of income levels and at different stages of family life. This kind of mixture permits residents to remain rooted in the community if they so choose – as their particular housing needs change. As a by-product, this also results in the heterogeneity that spells a lively and varied community.
That the importance and dignity of each individual be the focal point for all planning, and take precedence for large-scale concepts.
That the people be able to live and work in the same community.
That commercial, cultural and recreational facilities be made available to the residents from the outset of the development – not years later.
That beauty – structural and natural – is a necessity of the good life and should be fostered.
Since Reston is being developed from private enterprise, in order to be completed as conceived it must also, of course, be a financial success.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reston,_Virginia

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Well the Silver Line metro now goes to Reston so if you can get near one of the stations your pretty golden getting around.

Reston itself is pretty unique compared to the other areas in NoVa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reston,_Virginia

Cool. Thanks.

Since I'm from NY and our public transportation is 24/7, I'm a bit confused about the WMATA. Just as an example, let's say I was at a Nationals game. The last train from the Federal Center SW station to Wiehle-Reston East leaves at 11:33 PM? If the game goes into extra innings, what would I do? It does say, however, that on Friday and Saturday nights the last train would leave at 2:33 AM, but let's say I was reckless and decided to stay for the entire extra inning game on a work night.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Cool. Thanks.

Since I'm from NY and our public transportation is 24/7, I'm a bit confused about the WMATA. Just as an example, let's say I was at a Nationals game. The last train from the Federal Center SW station to Wiehle-Reston East leaves at 11:33 PM? If the game goes into extra innings, what would I do? It does say, however, that on Friday and Saturday nights the last train would leave at 2:33 AM, but let's say I was reckless and decided to stay for the entire extra inning game on a work night.

its really weird how metro (what we all call it) does it. dc metro has the teams pay for the metro to stay open later (caps, wizards, redskins) but nationals dont pay which causes problems. so going to a nationals game means your gonna have to leave early otherwise you will get stuck. but nationals park unlike the verizon center has ample parking lots around it if you can get a ride from someone

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Cool. Thanks.

I've been to games that went to extra innings and seen the mass exodus to catch the Metro. I'm not sure what's more embarrassing - that our metro is shut down by midnight, or that the Nats are too cheap to pay them to stay open. I'd lean towards the metro, because they're an embarrassment for other reasons as well.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I've been to games that went to extra innings and seen the mass exodus to catch the Metro. I'm not sure what's more embarrassing - that our metro is shut down by midnight, or that the Nats are too cheap to pay them to stay open. I'd lean towards the metro, because they're an embarrassment for other reasons as well.

Well actually MLB prevents the nationals from doing so since no other team in baseball does this.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

easily this. same for BART here in the Bay Area. so dumb.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Huh, never knew that. Strange policy if the other big three sports all do it.

yea its really weird

WASHINGTON – The late-night transportation debate might go a lot further than the Nationals and Metro.

Major League Baseball is concerned that if the Nats start consistently paying to keep the Metro system running past normal hours, then all other baseball teams will have to do the same.

A senior Nationals source and a source with direct knowledge of the situation tells WTOP that the MLB is worried about a precedent being set around the league.

It costs about $30,000 per hour to keep transit open late. Most organizations, like the Capitals and the Redskins, have agreements with Metro.

WTOP contacted a number of transit agencies around the county and could not find an instance where a baseball team consistently pays to keep public transportation running beyond closing hours.

“No other MLB team has had to pay for service. We’ve never had to face this issue,†MLB spokesperson Matt Bourne tells WTOP. “The Nationals are seeking solutions with the Metro.â€

He says MLB leaders will be monitoring the situation.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Cool. Thanks.

The Metro stinks and it's only going to get worse. Also the traffic sucks here. Welcome to DC!

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Hi guys! I had such a good time in DC a few years ago that I'm now planning my bachelor party for there the last weekend in August (26 to 28). all I know is we will be going to the Nats game on 8/26, and Top Golf in the afternoon on 8/27. The rest will be bar hopping and whatever else happens..

Is there a part of the city you guys would recommend we stay in? Ideally we'd like it to be close to a subway stop, but also around some bars that we could walk to.

Any additional recommendations for restaurants, bars (I love rooftop bars), or things to do is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Hi guys! I had such a good time in DC a few years ago that I'm now planning my bachelor party for there the last weekend in August (26 to 28). all I know is we will be going to the Nats game on 8/26, and Top Golf in the afternoon on 8/27. The rest will be bar hopping and whatever else happens..

Is there a part of the city you guys would recommend we stay in? Ideally we'd like it to be close to a subway stop, but also around some bars that we could walk to.

Any additional recommendations for restaurants, bars (I love rooftop bars), or things to do is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Congrats on the nuptials. DC in the summer is fun as there are a bunch of places to drink and a bunch of places to drink outside. Logan Circle/14th Street, Chinatown/Penn Quarter, and Adams Morgan are your best neighborhoods for an abundance of bars and restaurants. Dupont Circle, U Street Corridor, and H Street Corridor can be fun as well. All are close to metro stops as well, but the Metro is undergoing serious repairs so they'll have significant delays on the weekends and they stop service at midnight for the next year so I wouldn't plan on using it. Uber and Lyft are readily available at all times and are cheaper than cabs so that will be your best bet for transportation, especially after midnight.

A bunch of people put together their recommendations for bars on page 1 of this thread. I recommend reading through there. Every DC neighborhood is very different so recommendations for specific bars will also be based on your preference (sports bar, hip/eclectic, live music, club scene, etc). Happy to help more if you'd like.

Comfort Eagle

Feb 28, 2008
Southeastern,MA
Hey guys,

Bruins fan here asking for some info on the Baltimore Inner Harbor area/Oriole Park at Camden Yards. I know that's not Washington, but your the closest board to that area it seems.

My 9 year old son loves the Orioles, and we plan to go down there for a game in about 9-10 days. There will be two adults, and two kids (aged 9-13).We don't have a hotel booked yet, and I was wondering if you guys could recommend a place that is inexpensive, but not gross? Also we need tickets to the game(They are playing the Rockies Monday through Wednesday), and I was wondering if you can recommend a source for tickets, and possibly a good section of the ballpark to sit to take in a game?

Thanks,

Chris

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
Hey guys,

Bruins fan here asking for some info on the Baltimore Inner Harbor area/Oriole Park at Camden Yards. I know that's not Washington, but your the closest board to that area it seems.

My 9 year old son loves the Orioles, and we plan to go down there for a game in about 9-10 days. There will be two adults, and two kids (aged 9-13).We don't have a hotel booked yet, and I was wondering if you guys could recommend a place that is inexpensive, but not gross? Also we need tickets to the game(They are playing the Rockies Monday through Wednesday), and I was wondering if you can recommend a source for tickets, and possibly a good section of the ballpark to sit to take in a game?

Thanks,

Chris
You will be able to get tickets at the stadium. Look online at the O's web site for seat locations and price. There is a Hampton Inn directly across the street from the stadium that is nice and won't break the bank unless a major convention is going on at that time. Unfortunately, the Inner Harbor isn't what it once was but you will still be able to spend some time there as the Science Center and aquarium are there.

Comfort Eagle

Feb 28, 2008
Southeastern,MA
How is the days Inn? Seems inexpensive, but I don't want to stay in some crappy hotel with bed bugs or anything like that. Also what has changed about the inner harbor that makes you say it's not what it once was?

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
I don't know much about the Days Inn other than it's an older hotel that's been there for a long time. My past experiences with Days Inn's haven't been the greatest. Another consideration is staying near BWI and taking the Light Rail to Camden Yards. It would most likely be a wash as far as cost vs. parking downtown. As for the Inner Harbor, a lot of shops and restaurants that were once in the pavilions, are now gone.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Hello, everyone. This is semi-related as it involves the parking garage under the Capitals Iceplex at Ballston Common.

I'm driving into the DC area the weekend before Thanksgiving to meet up with a friend coming in from West Virginia to catch the Packers and Redskins at FedEx. I have family in Arlington about 10 minutes from Ballston so I was thinking about ditching my car there and relying on the Metro and Ubers for the two nights I'm staying in the District. (EDIT: I'm familiar with all the nonsense surrounding the Metro right now and am planning accordingly.)

Does this parking structure allow all-day/overnight parking for multiple consecutive days/nights?

Also, parking literally yards away from the Caps' practice rink with a large Devils logo on my rear glass won't make my Subaru a target, will it? :sarcasm:

Thanks, guys.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Hello, everyone. This is semi-related as it involves the parking garage under the Capitals Iceplex at Ballston Common.

I'm driving into the DC area the weekend before Thanksgiving to meet up with a friend coming in from West Virginia to catch the Packers and Redskins at FedEx. I have family in Arlington about 10 minutes from Ballston so I was thinking about ditching my car there and relying on the Metro and Ubers for the two nights I'm staying in the District. (EDIT: I'm familiar with all the nonsense surrounding the Metro right now and am planning accordingly.)

Does this parking structure allow all-day/overnight parking for multiple consecutive days/nights?

Also, parking literally yards away from the Caps' practice rink with a large Devils logo on my rear glass won't make my Subaru a target, will it? :sarcasm:

Thanks, guys.

You won't have an issue with the Devils logo, no worries there.

I am not sure if Ballston allows overnight parking. They have a number you can call to set up monthly parking, so I'm sure they'll be able to answer if you can park there for a few days consecutively. Also, have you tried parkingpanda.com? You can input the dates you're there and see a list of parking spots that you can reserve at various prices. I've done it before and it's pretty easy.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
You won't have an issue with the Devils logo, no worries there.

I am not sure if Ballston allows overnight parking. They have a number you can call to set up monthly parking, so I'm sure they'll be able to answer if you can park there for a few days consecutively. Also, have you tried parkingpanda.com? You can input the dates you're there and see a list of parking spots that you can reserve at various prices. I've done it before and it's pretty easy.

I've actually got in touch with my sister down in Arlington and it's apparently totally legit for me and my buddy to both leave our cars on her street for the weekend with no permits or anything of that nature (it's a suburban neighborhood with lenient parking laws) while we enjoy the scene in the District. Thanks for the reply, though.

Always enjoy visiting the DC area. :cheers:

East Goalie

Jun 16, 2008
Is anyone interested in splitting a half or quarter season of Caps home games with me? I have four seats in Section 401.
$43 each seat (season ticket holder price).

At the gate they are $73 each and on Ticketmaster they are $57.10 each.

Sorry Playoff rights wouldn't be included on these seats, but I could probably purchase additional playoff seats for you if/when the time comes.

PM me if anyone is interested, thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad