MA
CSW28igUwAAECpL.jpg

There should be a law.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sadly, there is a law, but that law is no "happy hours" in Massachusetts. Prices have to remain constant for a certain amount of time. Therefore, they can't run any sort of deals on beer - no $5 beers from 6-6:30 to get people in early, and no "Cheap beer Tuesdays".

Yes - a bar manager/owner has to file his prices for a week in advance and it must be the same price for all 7 days. A workaround is say you are charging a low price for Duff Beer but you only sell it at special times.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
I took my 5 year old son to his first QMJHL game last weekend. Although a far cry from an NHL game I was impressed to be able to get a couple bottles of pop and a bag of popcorn almost as big as he was for like $7.00 (closer to $5.50 USD). I was expecting much much worse being at the mercy of the concessions.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Sadly, there is a law, but that law is no "happy hours" in Massachusetts. Prices have to remain constant for a certain amount of time. Therefore, they can't run any sort of deals on beer - no $5 beers from 6-6:30 to get people in early, and no "Cheap beer Tuesdays".

No Happy hour in Mass? How is this enforceable.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No Happy hour in Mass? How is this enforceable.

Usually if bars are quiet about what they are doing they stay under the radar.

One gray area is when a beer or hard liquor manufacturer is trying to promote a product they will being in the pretty girls and pass out chips that you can redeem for a free drink and in theory the manufacturer has to pay the retail price to the bar (wink wink)

In New York City there is a tradition that a bartender after you have bought 2 or 3 drinks the next one is on the house and they say to you 'cheers' - that is forbidden in Massachusetts.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I took my 5 year old son to his first QMJHL game last weekend. Although a far cry from an NHL game I was impressed to be able to get a couple bottles of pop and a bag of popcorn almost as big as he was for like $7.00 (closer to $5.50 USD). I was expecting much much worse being at the mercy of the concessions.

That's crazy cheap!!!! How much were tickets to the game?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Usually if bars are quiet about what they are doing they stay under the radar.

One gray area is when a beer or hard liquor manufacturer is trying to promote a product they will being in the pretty girls and pass out chips that you can redeem for a free drink and in theory the manufacturer has to pay the retail price to the bar (wink wink)

In New York City there is a tradition that a bartender after you have bought 2 or 3 drinks the next one is on the house and they say to you 'cheers' - that is forbidden in Massachusetts.

When you get "in" the neighborhoods,you can find bars open til the break of dawn,back doors,lights off outside etc.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
When you get "in" the neighborhoods,you can find bars open til the break of dawn,back doors,lights off outside etc.

Yeah, there's a pretty famous place where you used to be able to find half the Globe staff, plus Mayor Flynn, at around 4 AM.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
One thing I must admit after moving to Minneapolis, the stadium experience is much better than it was in Boston. No need to arrive an hour early if I want a decent parking spot and no 30 minute detours if I make a wrong turn, plus the tickets and concessions are cheaper.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Get to Halftime Pizza an hour and a half before the game when you are actually able to get a seat, and load up there.

That's what I do when I go (between 1-2 times a year because the prices are so ridiculous now).

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Get to Halftime Pizza an hour and a half before the game when you are actually able to get a seat, and load up there.

That's what I do when I go (between 1-2 times a year because the prices are so ridiculous now).

That's what we do. My son loves that place. We park at the Nautica across the river for less than $10, nice walk through the park, pizza for dinner, into the Garden for warm-ups at the glass.

I don't drink beer at games because 1. I'm driving 2 hours home and 2. I want to watch the game, not spend my time in the bathroom.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
One thing I must admit after moving to Minneapolis, the stadium experience is much better than it was in Boston. No need to arrive an hour early if I want a decent parking spot and no 30 minute detours if I make a wrong turn, plus the tickets and concessions are cheaper.

Yes, but you have to root for Minnisota teams.

Just kidding.

;-)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I've proudly worn my Bergeron jersey to the Xcel Center for both Bruin games I've been to here, and that's a trend will continue :D

Xcel Energy Center is a nice venue and the new trolley line connecting Minneapolis and St Paul makes it an attractive road trip where you don't need to rent a car.

The Twin Cities is a lovely area and now like Detroit the 4 teams in the major pro sports will all have their own venue. I finally made the Metrodome in its final year and that was the worst baseball stadium ever ( much worse than Montreal ) and today Target Field is in the Top 5 for MLB parks.

I was a little unnerved by this sign at Metrodome however.

4519_1154673819735_3584366_n.jpg

Parking at Metrodome in 2009 was reasonable :laugh:

4519_1155018548353_5135433_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad