Visitors from Chicago impression of TD Garden

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A woman I met a few years ago at a Boston themed sports bar in Chicago flew in on Thursday with her husband as they are Notre Dame season ticket holders and won the lottery for the Fenway game on Saturday.

I gave them my seats in Section 315 and met them after the game at Fours.

This woman makes her living with concessions at US Cellular Field and the United Center so she knows arenas well. Her observations are interesting and I hope the lurkers over at TD Garden take note of what she thought.

She thought the subway access to the building was phenomenal. In Chicago the United Center is transit challenged.

She found entering the building confusing and chaotic and they wound up taking stairs to Level 7 from Level 4 as there were not clear signs where the escalator was.

She found the concessions to be uneatable and the price points ridiculous. She is very aware of Delaware North as they used to have the Blackhawks concessions but lost it to Levy over quality. Delaware North still has the White Sox contract as they have a lifetime contract with the team dating back to Bill Veeck having to borrow money from Jeremy Jacobs to meet payroll in the late 70's.

She really enjoyed the in game experience and found the music and organ mix to be enjoyable and at a decent sound level compared to United Center. She also said our scoreboard was much easier to read and replays were clearer than at the UC.

They had no problems wearing Blackhawks gear at the game and told fans they were rooting for the Bruins to beat Minnesota. They also wound up on the Garden HDX during a timeout.

Overall they had a positive experience except for the confusion of getting to their seats as a first time visitor.

I am playing tour guide with them Friday but overall their first impressions of Boston are favorable. She said you seem more friendly than Philadelphia :laugh:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
A woman I met a few years ago at a Boston themed sports bar in Chicago flew in on Thursday with her husband as they are Notre Dame season ticket holders and won the lottery for the Fenway game on Saturday.

I gave them my seats in Section 315 and met them after the game at Fours.

This woman makes her living with concessions at US Cellular Field and the United Center so she knows arenas well. Her observations are interesting and I hope the lurkers over at TD Garden take note of what she thought.

She thought the subway access to the building was phenomenal. In Chicago the United Center is transit challenged.

She found entering the building confusing and chaotic and they wound up taking stairs to Level 7 from Level 4 as there were not clear signs where the escalator was.

She found the concessions to be uneatable and the price points ridiculous. She is very aware of Delaware North as they used to have the Blackhawks concessions but lost it to Levy over quality. Delaware North still has the White Sox contract as they have a lifetime contract with the team dating back to Bill Veeck having to borrow money from Jeremy Jacobs to meet payroll in the late 70's.

She really enjoyed the in game experience and found the music and organ mix to be enjoyable and at a decent sound level compared to United Center. She also said our scoreboard was much easier to read and replays were clearer than at the UC.

They had no problems wearing Blackhawks gear at the game and told fans they were rooting for the Bruins to beat Minnesota. They also wound up on the Garden HDX during a timeout.

Overall they had a positive experience except for the confusion of getting to their seats as a first time visitor.

I am playing tour guide with them Friday but overall their first impressions of Boston are favorable. She said you seem more friendly than Philadelphia :laugh:

Who isn't??

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The most confusing thing is how to get from 4 to 5 or 7; I'd definitely have to agree with that. If you come in the east side, you have to psychically know to go right for the balcony or left for the premium seats.

I still don't know why people take the stairs from 7 when the game ends when the escalators are less crowded and get you out faster (unless you really want to exercise off your beer and hot dogs).

It's even more confusing if you have a seat in the crows nest on 9 - I don't know a way up that doesn't involve elevators, but I'm sure that there has to be one because of fire codes.

One thing they could do to make traffic flow a little easier on folks is to get people to cross from east-to-west or west-to-east on floor 2 by advising them which set of detectors to walk through. Again, signage would help here. If you have seats in 321, you probably want to enter near the T, and not by McDonalds/Dunks, but if you do enter by McD's, you can easily cross over instead of taking the U-turn that everyone does.

As far as concessions, I've gone on strike. Screw Jacobs and the overpriced beers. I'll buy a box of Sam, and drink during the away games.

Did she get there early enough to enjoy the wonderful, generous giveaway last night? A camo hat, with a scarf the next week, and some bobbleheads in the future. Oh, wait, that's the Hawks - we get extra-large pieces of paper, and only for about a third of the folks there. They've done an awful job at getting businesses in on promotions - just slap a "Bob's Furniture" logo on the base of a Krejci bobblehead, for cryin' out loud! My gut tells me that TD Bank has some kind of exclusive deal - the only other names in the promos are Black Dog (for Black Friday) and Bridgestone (but that's only because of the full name of the Winter Classic).

I do agree with her that the in-game stuff is good. Nice mix of music that I recognize, songs that I know the younger folks like, and songs I know the older folks like. No bush-league "spotlight on the opposing goalie". A solid pregame pump video. The only beef I have is that when they show NESN's "not-Jamie" interview a player, the echo is always horrendous, but I'm guessing that there's no practical remedy for that.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I do agree with her that the in-game stuff is good. Nice mix of music that I recognize, songs that I know the younger folks like, and songs I know the older folks like. No bush-league "spotlight on the opposing goalie". A solid pregame pump video. The only beef I have is that when they show NESN's "not-Jamie" interview a player, the echo is always horrendous, but I'm guessing that there's no practical remedy for that.

I went to the Bs/Sharks game on Tuesday and right up on the Jumbotron "not-Jamie" said "Good luck in the second half" to Brad Marchand. Even my niece, who has been to 2 hockey games in her life, said "Aren't there 3 periods, not 2 halves?"

To quote the great Johnny Upton - "It's ****ing embarrassing!"
:rant:

And boy do I miss Naoko and KT.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Did you point out the Stan Mikita jersey hanging above the bar at the Fours? Just a suggestion, check out tonight's BU-Michigan game(6 p.m. start at Agganis Arena, per NESN telecast). They play again at 4 p.m. on Saturday. Agganis does serve beer. Send your friends to T's Pub before and after.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Did you point out the Stan Mikita jersey hanging above the bar at the Fours? Just a suggestion, check out tonight's BU-Michigan game(6 p.m. start at Agganis Arena). They play again at 4 p.m. on Saturday. Agganis does serve beer. Send your friends to T's Pub before and after.

It was the first thing they noticed :laugh:

We are over at Clemente Field watching the Notre Dame band rehearse, very impressive.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Burger and fries I had were pretty good. Burgers are definitely new additions those haven't existed ever. Fries with the burger much better than the standard ones going at the next stand with the chicken fingers. Too expensive but oh well.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Burger and fries I had were pretty good. Burgers are definitely new additions those haven't existed ever. Fries with the burger much better than the standard ones going at the next stand with the chicken fingers. Too expensive but oh well.

Can't stand the idea of "special sauce" - I've never much cared for ranch and/or thousand island dressing on my salad, much less on my burger. (I assume that's what they put on the "big bad burgers"). And I just know that if I order it without sauce, I'll either hold the line up, get a burger that has sauce on it anyway, or get one with extra spit in it.

And, sorry, this may be my inner third grader, but those chip-style fries look icky. Saw someone next to me get them, and they looked kinda greasy. My idea fry is one they had at Johnny Rockets when I used to live in Atlanta in the 90s - crisp, golden yellow, lots of potato meat on the inside but not quite steak-style, and no weird spices (although I LOVE spicy food). Heck, thy didn't even salt them there, which was GREAT by me.

The chicken-and-fries fry at the Garden is just fine by me, but not outstanding.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Can't stand the idea of "special sauce" - I've never much cared for ranch and/or thousand island dressing on my salad, much less on my burger. (I assume that's what they put on the "big bad burgers"). And I just know that if I order it without sauce, I'll either hold the line up, get a burger that has sauce on it anyway, or get one with extra spit in it.

And, sorry, this may be my inner third grader, but those chip-style fries look icky. Saw someone next to me get them, and they looked kinda greasy. My idea fry is one they had at Johnny Rockets when I used to live in Atlanta in the 90s - crisp, golden yellow, lots of potato meat on the inside but not quite steak-style, and no weird spices (although I LOVE spicy food). Heck, thy didn't even salt them there, which was GREAT by me.

The chicken-and-fries fry at the Garden is just fine by me, but not outstanding.

I agree with you generally in terms of fries.

But these actually weren't bad. When I was ordering I would have much rather had the fries that come with fingers but they were much better than I thought they'd be. They are 100x better than KFC Wedges. I don't think they have burgers fully prepared already either you have to wait a little for it.

The most expensive one isn't worth it though I think they forgot to put the onions and bacon on mine but charged me anyways so Ill just get the bigger one with cheese next time for 15 bucks.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The most confusing thing is how to get from 4 to 5 or 7; I'd definitely have to agree with that. If you come in the east side, you have to psychically know to go right for the balcony or left for the premium seats.

I still don't know why people take the stairs from 7 when the game ends when the escalators are less crowded and get you out faster (unless you really want to exercise off your beer and hot dogs).

It's even more confusing if you have a seat in the crows nest on 9 - I don't know a way up that doesn't involve elevators, but I'm sure that there has to be one because of fire codes.

One thing they could do to make traffic flow a little easier on folks is to get people to cross from east-to-west or west-to-east on floor 2 by advising them which set of detectors to walk through. Again, signage would help here. If you have seats in 321, you probably want to enter near the T, and not by McDonalds/Dunks, but if you do enter by McD's, you can easily cross over instead of taking the U-turn that everyone does.

As far as concessions, I've gone on strike. Screw Jacobs and the overpriced beers. I'll buy a box of Sam, and drink during the away games.

Did she get there early enough to enjoy the wonderful, generous giveaway last night? A camo hat, with a scarf the next week, and some bobbleheads in the future. Oh, wait, that's the Hawks - we get extra-large pieces of paper, and only for about a third of the folks there. They've done an awful job at getting businesses in on promotions - just slap a "Bob's Furniture" logo on the base of a Krejci bobblehead, for cryin' out loud! My gut tells me that TD Bank has some kind of exclusive deal - the only other names in the promos are Black Dog (for Black Friday) and Bridgestone (but that's only because of the full name of the Winter Classic).

Are they considering last night a sell out?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Are they considering last night a sell out?

Every night's been a technical sellout. Crowd looked decent from my POV. The sad thing is the best seats (the Club) always seem to be empty - I don't know if it's the suits hanging out in the "exclusive lounges", or if people don't show. They could be genuine no-sells, too....I don't think the Club seats are part of the 17,565 because they're considered premium, like the suites. Thus, if you don't sell a club, it's not a ding on the streak.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
How much are beers at TD? They're pretty ridiculous most places... but as opposed to Rexall Place. I know I've paid like 10-11 bucks a beer there before.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Every night's been a technical sellout. Crowd looked decent from my POV. The sad thing is the best seats (the Club) always seem to be empty - I don't know if it's the suits hanging out in the "exclusive lounges", or if people don't show. They could be genuine no-sells, too....I don't think the Club seats are part of the 17,565 because they're considered premium, like the suites. Thus, if you don't sell a club, it's not a ding on the streak.

When the Frozen Four was at TD the attendance was listed in the mid 18,000's so the Bruins count the club seats but not the suites in attendance figures.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
How much are beers at TD? They're pretty ridiculous most places... but as opposed to Rexall Place. I know I've paid like 10-11 bucks a beer there before.

CSW28igUwAAECpL.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad