Visiting Toronto?

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Shit, I hate taking the train in. Starting when?
like next week LOL.

I don't blame you. Go train is OK for a few stops, but going across the city or longer trips, it kinda sucks. Also it's pretty expensive for what it is.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Frankly I was fine with the mega project of tear the whole damn thing down, but the hybrid decision of cutting off dumping to the Lakeshore was the worst option. Jarvis is a mess. Anyways..

Will be in Toronto mid to late April, what bars do you guys recommend watching playoff games at?

Any NY or Rangers specific bars in the city?

Is public transport to and from Pearson feasible or should I just Uber it?

Thanks!

Also agree, assuming you aim downtown, that the UP Express is the way to go, train connection from airport to Union Station right in to the guts of the city. Also not aware of any NY specific bars, although I bet one exists somewhere.

Reactions: FoxyClean

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Will be in Toronto mid to late April, what bars do you guys recommend watching playoff games at?

Any NY or Rangers specific bars in the city?

Is public transport to and from Pearson feasible or should I just Uber it?

Thanks!
I can't think of any Rangers specific bars. I'd say they probably have the smallest fanbase in the city of the O6 teams.

Pretty much any sports bar will have playoff games on. Real Sports will have every game but it has issues (the food is subpar and overpriced, and for big games it can be impossible to get into).

As for public transit to Pearson. That's entirely dependent on where you are staying. I live in mid-town (Yonge/Davisville), and I tend to uber to the Airport as long as I'm not going during peak-hours. If it's rush hour, I would take public transit. If you are saying in the core, say south of Bloor, I'd take UP Express. If you aren't in the core, look up where you are in relation to Pearson.

If you are coming from NYC and haven't booked your flights, I personally tend to fly Porter out of Billy Bishop and land in Newark, granted depending on where you are in the NYC metroplex Laguardia or JFK may be easier. The only benefit I find of travelling out of Pearson is pre-clearence of immigration when going into the States.

Edit: Also, googling Rangers bar in Toronto is probably more likely to find you a bar that airs Glasgow Rangers games than NYR.

Reactions: FoxyClean

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
It’s worth a trip as a hockey fan, once, if you are around otherwise. If you have kids with you they will be bored stupid as you geek out on NHL history
I might be selling it short, the trophy rooom is very cool, and ya, it is totally worth a visit, but just coming at it as a family experience, because that’s my existence currently, you got like one, two hours max. Me alone, I could spend all day in there.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What’s the hockey hall of fame like?
It's cool in that it's probably the most accessible big 4 Hall of Fame in North America. All the others are a bit annoying to get to with Canton probably being the 2nd easiest being an hour south of a semi major city. Granted, due to it being downtown in a major city, it's likely smaller than the others. I can't attest to Basketball or Baseball (this is a bucket list item for me), but I have been to Canton. There's some cool stuff for kids that is interactive (was surprised Canton didn't have more stuff like this), a theatre that shows hockey related stuff, the trophy room is in an old bank building.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Ok, I'm from the Niagara Region, I can see downtown across the lake, but I haven't spent too much time north of the city.

My wife has a thing for work and we are staying at a hotel up near Canada's Wonderland in Vaughan. Not sure if its open yet and honestly we aren't looking to do the amusement park thing anyway,

I have never spent any time in Vaughan, anyone have some ideas for things to do in that area? We are in the mode of just finding a place to walk around, see new things, new shops/stores. My wife is into Indian food and restaurants that specialize in Vegetarian food, if the weather is bad we'd even go to a movie (she loves the Ipix place in South Florida we went to, clean theater, give you a pillow and blanket, reclining chair, serve food off of a full menu right at your seat..etc)

Also, how hard is it to get to downtown from there? Is there a subway station nearby that is easy to get to/drive to, with parking? We will have our car, but have no desire to drive into downtown.

My wife is originally from New York City so on her trips to downtown in the past, we did the hockey HOF, CN tower, Centre Island, Aquarium, and most of the museums and Science Centre and Eaton Centre already. We wouldn't mind a nice mall or shopping centre to walk around in just for an hour or two that we haven't been too already.

We aren't big into nightlife (we are in our 40s) and don't drink much (either of us).

We might go to the Zoo on our last day, but looking for things the other 2 days/evenings we are there.

Anyone with any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Ok, I'm from the Niagara Region, I can see downtown across the lake, but I haven't spent too much time north of the city.

My wife has a thing for work and we are staying at a hotel up near Canada's Wonderland in Vaughan. Not sure if its open yet and honestly we aren't looking to do the amusement park thing anyway,

I have never spent any time in Vaughan, anyone have some ideas for things to do in that area? We are in the mode of just finding a place to walk around, see new things, new shops/stores. My wife is into Indian food and restaurants that specialize in Vegetarian food, if the weather is bad we'd even go to a movie (she loves the Ipix place in South Florida we went to, clean theater, give you a pillow and blanket, reclining chair, serve food off of a full menu right at your seat..etc)

Also, how hard is it to get to downtown from there? Is there a subway station nearby that is easy to get to/drive to, with parking? We will have our car, but have no desire to drive into downtown.

My wife is originally from New York City so on her trips to downtown in the past, we did the hockey HOF, CN tower, Centre Island, Aquarium, and most of the museums and Science Centre and Eaton Centre already. We wouldn't mind a nice mall or shopping centre to walk around in just for an hour or two that we haven't been too already.

We aren't big into nightlife (we are in our 40s) and don't drink much (either of us).

We might go to the Zoo on our last day, but looking for things the other 2 days/evenings we are there.

Anyone with any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.
If your staying in the hotel strip by the 400 and hwy 7 your going to be shit out of luck, we used to have quarterly meeting there on occasion and the nightlife/ restaurant scene is simply pathetic, you’ll either have to go north or south to find anything decent to make your stay pleasurable……

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
If your staying in the hotel strip by the 400 and hwy 7 your going to be shit out of luck, we used to have quarterly meeting there on occasion and the nightlife/ restaurant scene is simply pathetic, you’ll either have to go north or south to find anything decent to make your stay pleasurable……
I think we are staying right near the outlet mall...I have to check to verify though for sure.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Yeah there's not much around there as far as "toronto culture".

It's just one massive suburb. with a gross traffic jammed drive to downtown. I guess you can try to take the subway in from one of the north most stations (not really sure which one).

Actually there's a really charming small town up there called Kleinburg. IT has a really cool art gallery called mcmichael art gallery that specialized in Canadian and indigenous art.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad