Visiting NY in March - what game?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not bad - you'd take New Jersey Rail from New York Penn Station (which is actually one of Madison Square Garden's basements) to Newark Penn Station, which is about half a mile from the Prudential Center. I think it's $5.00 each way and takes about 20 minutes or so.
Can also take the PATH train from Herald Square/33rd st and transfer at Journal Square for the train to Newark Penn and would cost $5.50 for a round trip.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The Islanders game is at the Coliseum for the 24th, right? I'm a NYR fan, but considering they no longer play there, that might be a good game to go to. The atmosphere should be good, regardless of who they're playing.

MSG prices are insane, if you're in the city, wait until the last moment to buy them and you'll get better options. Or go into the NYR section and use the ticket thread to see if anybody is selling their tickets for that game. Even high up, though, the view ain't bad.

NJD have a fantastic arena to walk around and enjoy. Cheaper as well.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Why not two games? Get tickets for the first game, Coyotes vs Devils, slightly in advance. I would think it wouldn't be too expensive in comparison to the Penguins game.

Then plan on spending the day in NYC on the 25th and keep tabs on available tickets sporadically, as you are sight seeing or whatever through out the day. If tickets never drop to a price you are comfortable with, use the Blues game as a fallback option on the 29th.

I just saw my first game at MSG in October (McDavid vs Rangers) and it was worth it just to go to MSG.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If it's a neutral fan, I'd probably say Pens@Rangers as others have said. But if you'd rather allocate that money towards a nice meal, that Sabres/Devils matchup might be a good fall back option with Eichel/Dahlin/Hall.

And generally prices should go down as you get closer to the event. Even if you're not a basketball fan, maybe check out a Knicks game at MSG if only cross that one off the list. They play a couple times during your trip.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
If not for the price, I think NYR-PITT at MSG would be the easy choice. See MSG and elite players like Crosby and Malkin... plus a little fire in the game being division rivals.

But, being from Switzerland it would probably be fun to watch Nico and NJD. As someone mentioned, the train ride is cheap and easy to get to Prudential Center, which is also a really nice arena and the price will be much cheaper than any Ranger game at MSG. So, in the choices offered I'd probably go with the Buffalo game to see some of their young stars and possible that there could be playoff implications for either, or maybe even both, team(s).

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
thanks for all the responses guys

I'm going with the GF and she's never experienced a live NHL game before so want her to get the best experience possible (i.e. close to the ice). Sure MSG is a much bigger venue and having the Penguins in town is exciting but I don't really feel like sitting 200 feet away from the action - cuz I don't feel like spending $500 on a hockey game (unless it's the Stanley Cup Finals).

Also, how's the commute to the Prudential Center from central Manhattan?

You can take NJ Transit or the Path to the prudential center from Penn station (literally right under MSG). If you are willing to be patient and wait, tickets to a monday night game will generally go pretty cheap the day of. I very regularly will check out StubHub or TickPick in the hours prior to the game and just wait for ticket prices to drop, they usually get to the lowest they'll go in the 60 minutes prior to puck drop as ticket holders are just trying to unload and get something back for their unused tickets. I recently went to the Canucks at Rangers game and got a pair in the lower 200s (any row below 15 is gonna be a great view) for $95 total after service fees. As has been mentioned before, games vs the Penguins are always competitive as there's been bad blood between the two teams for years. You could almost assuredly use this tactic for Islanders or Devils games a well.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Don't go to NY to see Buffalo. One, Boston, Philly, and Washington are closer to NYC than Buffalo. Montreal and Buffalo are about equal distance from Manhatten to put it in perspective. I think people forget how big a state New York is. Its like going to San Fran and expecting to be able to easily commute to San Diego.

Montreal is closer to NYC than Buffalo by about an hour.

Reactions: New Jersey

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
For Nostalgia: Rangers game
For Atmosphere: Isles game (Coliseum)
For Best Arena: Devils game

You could probably do both the Devils and Isles games for the same price as the Rangers game.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Aside from the whole MSG is a legendary arena thing I would pick the Devils Sabres game hands down.

You can find excellent seats for a great price on any given night, especially a Monday night game versus the Sabres and the Arena itself is very nice.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Is Buffalo out of the question? Not sure what their schedule is like, but they’re the only good team in the New York area right now.

Even then, Penguins Vs. Rangers @ MSG still is probably your best bet.

If "New York" means the City, which is implied due to the context of this thread, yeah, there are five NHL teams closer to Manhattan than Buffalo excluding the Rangers.

Western New York and the New York Metropolitan Area are different worlds in almost every regard. Buffalo is basically the same distance as Pittsburgh and Montreal, if not a bit farther.

Edit: My post is crazy redundant because my lazy ass can't read one post down. :laugh:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
You can take NJ Transit or the Path to the prudential center from Penn station (literally right under MSG). If you are willing to be patient and wait, tickets to a monday night game will generally go pretty cheap the day of. I very regularly will check out StubHub or TickPick in the hours prior to the game and just wait for ticket prices to drop, they usually get to the lowest they'll go in the 60 minutes prior to puck drop as ticket holders are just trying to unload and get something back for their unused tickets. I recently went to the Canucks at Rangers game and got a pair in the lower 200s (any row below 15 is gonna be a great view) for $95 total after service fees. As has been mentioned before, games vs the Penguins are always competitive as there's been bad blood between the two teams for years. You could almost assuredly use this tactic for Islanders or Devils games a well.

Yeah, but that $95 will guarantee you get a great seat in Prudential well in advance, and if you're traveling from thousands of miles away I wouldn't want to leave it a day-of gamble.

Go see the Devils. You'll get to go to MSG anyway, since you'll likely take the train down from there. So you'll see all the fans in Rangers and Devils stuff piling in and out of their seperate trains, and there will be minor trash talk, and a good time will be had by all.

Last edited:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Go see the Devils. You'll get to go to MSG anyway, since you'll likely take the train down from there. So you'll see all the fans in Rangers and Devils stuff piling in and out of their seperate trains, and there will be minor trash talk, and a good time will be had by all.

The expedient option is to remind the Rangers fans at Secaucus Junction that they're ultimately going home to same North Jersey suburbs as we are if you're over a certain age and don't want to deal with the childish back-and-forth. :laugh:

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The expedient option is to remind the Rangers fans at Secaucus Junction that they're ultimately going home to same North Jersey suburbs as we are if you're over a certain age and don't want to deal with the childish back-and-forth. :laugh:

I went up to Barclay's to see the Flyers and Islanders last April on the same night that the Rangers and Devils were playing at MSG. The rails were a raucous f***ing hockey party that day, and us Flyers fans were the tiniest minority of fans there. It was kinda fun walking through the sea of Isles and Rangers jerseys in Penn Station and loudly shouting "Hey, congrats on GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS" back and forth with the Devils fans.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I went up to Barclay's to see the Flyers and Islanders last April on the same night that the Rangers and Devils were playing at MSG. The rails were a raucous ****ing hockey party that day, and us Flyers fans were the tiniest minority of fans there. It was kinda fun walking through the sea of Isles and Rangers jerseys in Penn Station and loudly shouting "Hey, congrats on GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS" back and forth with the Devils fans.

Over the last few years, I've found that the actual garbage behavior has subsided and it's strictly snarky hockey fan banter.

I still hate all of you with a passion but we can at least be civil now. :laugh:

Wearing a hockey jersey out and about on a night with simultaneous games going on in the NY Metro is always an experience. We're secretly the coolest hockey market. (No, Canada, I didn't stutter.) Having three teams and the local rivalries that come with it is a treat and a privilege.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Over the last few years, I've found that the actual garbage behavior has subsided and it's strictly snarky hockey fan banter.

I still hate all of you with a passion but we can at least be civil now. :laugh:

Wearing a hockey jersey out and about on a night with simultaneous games going on in the NY Metro is always an experience. We're secretly the coolest hockey market. (No, Canada, I didn't stutter.) Having three teams and the local rivalries that come with it is a treat and a privilege.

Oh yeah, I love it. I came up in the Lindros/Stevens era and me and my dad would drive up to the CAA to see Flyers/Devils games twice every season because it was actually cheaper than going down to Broad Street. Now THOSE were some rowdy powderkegs, I was like 10 years old and I distinctly remember the extremely offensive bathroom banter and parking lot fights. What a terrible old arena that was, by the way.

These days it's mostly snide remarks and self-deprecation, and that's good. I like to peacefully coexist with my fellow hockey fans. Saw the Flyers get blown out by the Islanders earlier this year in Philly and the Isles fans in front of us, as a really quiet building was emptying out, were shouting "It looks like Barclay's in here, god!" We were all just making each other laugh the whole time, it made up a tiny bit for the on ice product.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
In terms of getting the most value for your money you could see both Devils games and the Isles game for less than a single game at MSG. The Isles game is at the Coliseum and you would need to take LIRR out to Hempstead and take a NICE bus to and from the venue, but Uber would also be an option. I'd strongly recommend going to that one because it's really the last old barn left and given that it will be full and Islanders fans are wild you should have a great time.
If Isles are at the old barn than tickets will cost you more than at Barclays Center despite the opponent.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
How about a trip down to Boston and watch NYR-Bruins the 27th? Gotta think its a little less expensive at TD Garden in Boston than at MSG? Obviously gotta pay for train tickets or rental car but just a suggestion.

As a NYR fan myself i would pay a good amount to watch Pens-NYR at MSG when im actually over there as a fellow european. Boston could maybe be a nice way to change things up a bit a day or two?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If the Flyers are playing you can get MegaBus or Bolt Bus to Philly for roughly $30 round trip. Will take you to 30th street station and you can take Market-Frankfort, connect to the Broad Street line and go straight to the stadium complex. Also if you are a soccer fan the Red Bulls may be home game around then as well and Red Bull Arena has a free shuttle to and from outside Newark Penn.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
- Nobody travels from Switzerland to New York with the goal of saving money. This isn't an economy vacation. Make the experience count -- do the MSG game against Pittsburgh and get good seats.

- Sitting TOO close to the ice isn't money well-spent. It's cool for 20 minutes, then you realize you can't see the game as well. Hockey seats are like relationships -- you need a little space to appreciate each other.

- Go to a Broadway musical. US Customs won't let you leave if you go to New York but don't see a play.

- Don't eat in Midtown. NYC has some amazing food, none of which is found in the tourist areas.

- Take pictures of you and your girlfriend in Times Square, just because...

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
- Nobody travels from Switzerland to New York with the goal of saving money. This isn't an economy vacation. Make the experience count -- do the MSG game against Pittsburgh and get good seats.

- Sitting TOO close to the ice isn't money well-spent. It's cool for 20 minutes, then you realize you can't see the game as well. Hockey seats are like relationships -- you need a little space to appreciate each other.

- Go to a Broadway musical. US Customs won't let you leave if you go to New York but don't see a play.

- Don't eat in Midtown. NYC has some amazing food, none of which is found in the tourist areas.

Well said.

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018
Don't believe the history, nostalgia hype about Madison Square Garden. Don't fall for it please. And as others have said, save your money. And if you've noticed, the examples from the NYR-Pens rivalry were from years ago.

4 different buildings called "Madison Square Garden" have been built all at different locations throughout Manhattan and 3 of them have been demolished, except for the current hideous one, built in 1968, which despite the millions and millions spent quite recently to refurbish it on the inside, still looks like one giant monstrosity from the outside.

People from out of town mistakenly think it's like a Boston Garden/Montreal Forum/Maple Leaf Gardens/Chicago Stadium, etc. It is not. It's not the same original building that has been sitting there for like 80 years, oozing with history.

And the inside still is incredibly overrated and the atmosphere isn't as incredible as pretentious New Yorkers would lead you to believe.

Skip it. Plenty of more exciting non-hockey things to see throughout NYC with the money you will save from what would be a totally unnecessary visit to a building that hypes itself as the "world's most famous arena". What is so famous about it anyway?

Sabres-Devils would be a better game anyway.

Last edited:

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg

Totally agree with the above - might as well make the trip worth it and might regretting never going to MSG in a few years. Already booked a Broadway show btw.

Regarding the Penguins/Rangers game, found some seats in section 115 , row 17 - pretty expensive but think it's worth it ($256 each). What do you think of these seats in terms of view?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad