Visiting NY in March - what game?

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
Hey guys,

Basically - I'm from Switzerland and will be travelling to New York for a week in March 2019 (23-29th) and wanna see an NHL hockey game. My options are:

Rangers
25th: Penguins @ Rangers
29th: Blues @rangers

Islanders
24th: Coyotes @ Islanders

Devils
23rd: Coyotes @ Devils
25th: Sabres @ Devils

Just wanna go to the best possible game. I'm a Red Wings fan so no impact here. Sure being Swiss and seeing Nico would be kinda cool but I'm open to not going if there's a better game elsewhere.

Also, I checked the MSG prices and holy smokes, I would only go to a Rangers game if I get seats very high up at the back (around $130 at the moment). Not worth splashing $400-500 for a good seat.

Just want the best possible experience...

Thanks a bunch

Reactions: SabresSharks

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Penguins rangers is probably the best game but you could probably get better seats for much less for Devils vs Sabres and that will be a fast game, plus you’d get to see Nico

Reactions: Colin226

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Either Rangers Penguins or Sabres Devils, just depends on what players you want to see. Both arenas are nice and while MSG might be more of an attraction than the Rock you can literally get behind the glass seats for like $200-250 to Devils games. Even $100 will get you great seats.

Reactions: jetsforever

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If your preference is amazing seats at the cheapest price go to the Coyotes vs NYI match. The arena itself is disappointing but the location is good.

Both MSG games will be overpriced but at least you get to see Henrik.

I love the Prudential Center especially for hockey, even like the location but not in love with the surrounding area. Tickets will be a lot more reasonable here than at MSG.

Last edited:

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I use tickpick on game night. It's possible to get tickets under $100 at MSG if you wait until about an hour or 2 before the game starts.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Hey guys,

Basically - I'm from Switzerland and will be travelling to New York for a week in March 2019 (23-29th) and wanna see an NHL hockey game. My options are:

Rangers
25th: Penguins @ Rangers
29th: Blues @rangers

Islanders
24th: Coyotes @ Islanders

Devils
23rd: Coyotes @ Devils
25th: Sabres @ Devils

Just wanna go to the best possible game. I'm a Red Wings fan so no impact here. Sure being Swiss and seeing Nico would be kinda cool but I'm open to not going if there's a better game elsewhere.

Also, I checked the MSG prices and holy smokes, I would only go to a Rangers game if I get seats very high up at the back (around $130 at the moment). Not worth splashing $400-500 for a good seat.

Just want the best possible experience...

Thanks a bunch

Pens vs Rangers. Not only because of the on ice talent but because MSG is one of the old shrines in sports that is still left.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Sabres-Devils. Great arena, rarely 100% full but never depressingly empty and the crowd are real good hockey fans (on the low, one of my favorite opposing fanbases as a Flyers fan...great knowledge and passion). Price will be pretty good, the arena has great amenities and lines for food/beverage/bathroom are never crazy. Newark is Newark, but it's a very easy train ride down from NYC.

I've gotten work comp'd tickets to a ton of their games and always had a good time seeing matchups that I don't care about. Highly recommended.

Are the Islanders games at Barclay's or the Coliseum? That's a whole other consideration...I know a lot of their second half games are in the old barn, and that's a bit more difficult/expensive to get to than Barclay's.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd suggest Penguins-Rangers for Crosby, although if you like Hischier and want to save money, Sabres-Devils might be good.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
In terms of getting the most value for your money you could see both Devils games and the Isles game for less than a single game at MSG. The Isles game is at the Coliseum and you would need to take LIRR out to Hempstead and take a NICE bus to and from the venue, but Uber would also be an option. I'd strongly recommend going to that one because it's really the last old barn left and given that it will be full and Islanders fans are wild you should have a great time.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is it? I feel like the Rangers get blown out by them a lot. But maybe that's in Pitt.
Yeah, that's more over there.

At MSG we've had

-The 7-5 game
-The game Zherdev tied with 8 seconds left
-The Kevin Klein OT winner
-The game Brassard tied with 2 minutes left that the Pens won in the shootout
-The game Crosby slewfooted Callahan and everyone got mad
-The Hollweg game
-Game 5 in 2015
-The game late last year where Kreider and Zibanejad had like 4 points each and Georgiev stopped a penalty shot with 12 seconds left

Some classic stuff.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Is Buffalo out of the question? Not sure what their schedule is like, but they’re the only good team in the New York area right now.

Even then, Penguins Vs. Rangers @ MSG still is probably your best bet.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is Buffalo out of the question? Not sure what their schedule is like, but they’re the only good team in the New York area right now.

Even then, Penguins Vs. Rangers @ MSG still is probably your best bet.
Don't go to NY to see Buffalo. One, Boston, Philly, and Washington are closer to NYC than Buffalo. Montreal and Buffalo are about equal distance from Manhatten to put it in perspective. I think people forget how big a state New York is. Its like going to San Fran and expecting to be able to easily commute to San Diego.

Last edited:

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009

At MSG we've had

-The 7-5 game
-The Hollweg game
-Game 5 in 2015
-The game late last year where Kreider and Zibanejad had like 4 points each and Georgiev stopped a penalty shot with 12 seconds left

Some classic stuff.

I was there in March 2010. Im Swedish and Henrik Lundqvist is a superstar in my hometown. So as a Penguins fan I got the fortune to see Henrik make 50 saves, fights including Crosby and my favorite player Malkin getting the OT winner.

Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers Box Score — March 4, 2010 | Hockey-Reference.com

Its often a classic against Rangers.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Reactions: Casanova

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

At MSG we've had

-The 7-5 game
-The Hollweg game
-Game 5 in 2015

Some classic stuff.

Still mad about it tbh

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
thanks for all the responses guys

I'm going with the GF and she's never experienced a live NHL game before so want her to get the best experience possible (i.e. close to the ice). Sure MSG is a much bigger venue and having the Penguins in town is exciting but I don't really feel like sitting 200 feet away from the action - cuz I don't feel like spending $500 on a hockey game (unless it's the Stanley Cup Finals).

Also, how's the commute to the Prudential Center from central Manhattan?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
thanks for all the responses guys

I'm going with the GF and she's never experienced a live NHL game before so want her to get the best experience possible (i.e. close to the ice). Sure MSG is a much bigger venue and having the Penguins in town is exciting but I don't really feel like sitting 200 feet away from the action - cuz I don't feel like spending $500 on a hockey game (unless it's the Stanley Cup Finals).

Also, how's the commute to the Prudential Center from central Manhattan?

Not bad - you'd take New Jersey Rail from New York Penn Station (which is actually one of Madison Square Garden's basements) to Newark Penn Station, which is about half a mile from the Prudential Center. I think it's $5.00 each way and takes about 20 minutes or so.

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad