Visiting NY in March - what game?

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
Don't believe the history, nostalgia hype about Madison Square Garden. Don't fall for it please. And as others have said, save your money. And if you've noticed, the examples from the NYR-Pens rivalry were from years ago.

4 different buildings called "Madison Square Garden" have been built all at different locations throughout Manhattan and 3 of them have been demolished, except for the current hideous one, built in 1968, which despite the millions and millions spent quite recently to refurbish it on the inside, still looks like one giant monstrosity from the outside.

People from out of town mistakenly think it's like a Boston Garden/Montreal Forum/Maple Leaf Gardens/Chicago Stadium, etc. It is not. It's not the same original building that has been sitting there for like 80 years, oozing with history.

And the inside still is incredibly overrated and the atmosphere isn't as incredible as pretentious New Yorkers would lead you to believe.

Skip it. Plenty of more exciting non-hockey things to see throughout NYC with the money you will save from what would be a totally unnecessary visit to a building that hypes itself as the "world's most famous arena". What is so famous about it anyway?

Sabres-Devils would be a better game anyway.

Well damn - not sure what to think then.

I'm actually totally relying on you guys on this one. I literally know nothing of New York/New Jersey and the experience at the ice rink.

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018

I'm actually totally relying on you guys on this one. I literally know nothing of New York/New Jersey and the experience at the ice rink.

Seriously? This is a one-in-a lifetime experience. If you're a hockey fan and from Switzerland and you have a chance to see the the first player from Switzerland taken #1 overall, the last thing on my mind (for me at least) would be Pens-Rangers. I'd have Nico Hischier on my mind and I'd try to get the best seats as possible.

I'd take a 1 seat, 1 stop, 20 minute train ride from Penn Station New York (under Madison Square Garden) to Penn Station in Newark NJ. Then you just walk like a quarter mile from the station and follow the fans to the Arena. Very easy.

2 train stations with the same name, I know it sounds confusing, but the internet is your friend. NJ Transit website (rail). That's the easiest. PATH trains are slower, more confusing, too many stops, etc. Stick with NJ transit. Good luck

Reactions: oknazevad

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
To be honest, I'd rather watch an entertaining hockey game with the best possible atmosphere. Don't really care that Nico is Swiss to be honest.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Don't believe the history, nostalgia hype about Madison Square Garden. Don't fall for it please. And as others have said, save your money. And if you've noticed, the examples from the NYR-Pens rivalry were from years ago.

4 different buildings called "Madison Square Garden" have been built all at different locations throughout Manhattan and 3 of them have been demolished, except for the current hideous one, built in 1968, which despite the millions and millions spent quite recently to refurbish it on the inside, still looks like one giant monstrosity from the outside.

People from out of town mistakenly think it's like a Boston Garden/Montreal Forum/Maple Leaf Gardens/Chicago Stadium, etc. It is not. It's not the same original building that has been sitting there for like 80 years, oozing with history.

And the inside still is incredibly overrated and the atmosphere isn't as incredible as pretentious New Yorkers would lead you to believe.

Skip it. Plenty of more exciting non-hockey things to see throughout NYC with the money you will save from what would be a totally unnecessary visit to a building that hypes itself as the "world's most famous arena". What is so famous about it anyway?

Sabres-Devils would be a better game anyway.
Ouch... Must be a Devils fan

Reactions: 71Malkin71

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

It's been years since I went there but I love MSG. This coming from an Islanders fan. The Coliseum should have a crazy atmosphere since it's a smaller venue with less seats and ticket sales are doing well. But if you don't get a chance to see the Rangers check out a college basketball game or Knicks game at the Garden.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
To be honest, I'd rather watch an entertaining hockey game with the best possible atmosphere. Don't really care that Nico is Swiss to be honest.
It’s a tough call. I am born and raised in New Jersey (right outside Newark). Yes, the Rock is nice. Yes, you can get better seats at affordable prices. If it’s just for a hockey game, it seems slightly odd that you are leaving a far better city to travel to another. Newark has its nice areas (Ironbound has amazing Portuguese/Spanish restaurants), small streets near the museums are nice, but Newark ultimately doesn’t come close to New York City.

Is MSG far more expensive? Yes. But look around you.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Hey guys,

Basically - I'm from Switzerland and will be travelling to New York for a week in March 2019 (23-29th) and wanna see an NHL hockey game. My options are:

Rangers
25th: Penguins @ Rangers
29th: Blues @rangers

Islanders
24th: Coyotes @ Islanders

Devils
23rd: Coyotes @ Devils
25th: Sabres @ Devils

Just wanna go to the best possible game. I'm a Red Wings fan so no impact here. Sure being Swiss and seeing Nico would be kinda cool but I'm open to not going if there's a better game elsewhere.

Also, I checked the MSG prices and holy smokes, I would only go to a Rangers game if I get seats very high up at the back (around $130 at the moment). Not worth splashing $400-500 for a good seat.

Just want the best possible experience...

Thanks a bunch

I travel to NYC pretty much every month to visit my GF who does schooling there. We go to games pretty much every visit.

Like you said MSG is definitely expensive, beautiful area though. No idea what parking is like there since I always use transit which is super convenient in NYC.

Islanders arena is also very convenient with transit. You will quickly learn pretty much anywhere in NYC is easy transit wise. Also never parked there so no idea what that’s like. It seems to be a quieter area than MSG though so if your renting a car and worried about driving it should be easier than NYR. I’d do transit either way. Again, beautiful arena with more chill fans. Also would get the cheapest tickets by far.

Devils arena is really nice, just make sure to wear their jersey or get shit on. Last time I went with my gf wearing a Vegas jersey numerous people told my gf to break up with me haha. Parking is easy (if your renting a car) I usually drive down from Howell (my gfs parents house) to get there. I’ve never tried to do transit there but it’s super close to NYC. Off the top of my head transit should be easy to get to. Pretty energetic crowd, I love it there. Tickets are typically $60usd here

Overall (slightly bias) is do a Devils game.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Not bad - you'd take New Jersey Rail from New York Penn Station (which is actually one of Madison Square Garden's basements) to Newark Penn Station, which is about half a mile from the Prudential Center. I think it's $5.00 each way and takes about 20 minutes or so.

Off the top of my head this is exactly what I was thinking. I’ve never actually done the trip but I know it would work.

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018

I guess we assumed incorrectly that because you were from Switzerland that have some automatic allegiance to Nico Hischier.

I guess you can just decide by the date/day/time of the game or by what player/players/teams you really want to see. Remember, these are regular season games, not playoff games. The atmosphere will also be different from weekend afternoon games vs. weeknight games. There might be players injured, etc, by the time you get to the game, so it might make the game much less exciting.

As far as atmosphere, I'm going to be honest with you and say that all 3 of the teams in the NYC area aren't the most exciting venues for atmosphere during the REGULAR season, especially since all 3 of the teams aren't going through the best of times right now.

If your are looking for atmosphere OUTSIDE the arena before and after the game, like bars, restaurants, nightlife, etc, I would definitely recommend Madison Square Garden by far way ahead of the others. It's not even a contest. One of the best places in the world for a sports arena to be located.

People might vouch for Brooklyn, but it's not even close. Newark doesn't compare here, again unless you really want to go see Nico.

Good luck and enjoy.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Seriously, go to a game in MSG. It's in Manhattan, the arena is steeped in history (despite the rebuild) and you can do lots after the game i.e. have fun! And I am not a Rangers fan.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Also check the NHL Store's Twitter/Facebook right before you go (the store is a 10-15 minute walk from MSG). Sometimes they'll have current/retired players drop by for impromptu autograph signings. The Stanley Cup was there recently. When I went a couple years ago, Wayne Gretzky happened to be doing a book signing there. Waited in line for an hour, but got a picture with him which was the cherry on top of that trip.

As I mentioned before, if seeing an event at Madison Square Garden is something you want to check off your list, the Knicks host the Clippers on the 24th and Raptors on the 28th. Tickets might be a little more affordable. The Knicks/Clippers game is also a 12pm start time, so that'd still leave your evening free to do other things.

But I'm a weirdo who plans trips around sporting events. Yankees will have some home games during your visit as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad