Confirmed Buy-Out Virtanen on unconditional Waivers [Cleared; bought out]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
That is the difference between criminal and civil lawsuit.

Let's say you are out walking with a buddy, I come up and knock you out, and run away.

Unless there is DNA or camera evidence, it's going to be really hard for a criminal conviction.

So a civil case can convict without evidence? o_O

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
If you don’t have enough evidence, how can you can convict at all on anything? That sounds sketch.

Civil court requires a preponderance of evidence, criminal court requires beyond reasonable doubt. For example, O.J Simpson won his criminal case but lost the civil suit, so he was financially liable, but not incarcerated.

Reactions: JumpierPegasus

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Civil court requires a preponderance of evidence, criminal court requires beyond reasonable doubt. For example, O.J Simpson won his criminal case but lost the civil suit, so he was financially liable, but not incarcerated.

It just seems strange to me because of what preponderance means. It's like me saying I just came out of the shower and I'm still wet which is a preponderance because it's more likely to be true but I'm actually sitting here bone dry.

If you're going to have things like this, why even ask for evidence in any case? Just show it -could- happen to someone and you're already 3/4 of the way there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad