Vintage Jets 3rd Jersey for 2013 season?

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Has anyone heard if the Jets are planning to release a throwback-style 3rd jersey for this upcoming season? Last year they didnt have enough time to develop one which is understandable considering they barely had enough time to develop/release their main jerseys. But there should be no reason not to have one this year.

My hope would be for a full retro look jersey but I wouldn't mind a modern, sleak update using the original logo(s) either

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Has anyone heard if the Jets are planning to release a throwback-style 3rd jersey for this upcoming season? Last year they didnt have enough time to devolop one which is understandable considering they barely had enough time to devlop/release their main jerseys. But there should be no reason not to have one this year.

My hope would be for a full retro look jersey but I wouldn't mind a modern, sleak update using the original logo(s) either

Thoughts?

I can't remember which article it was stated in, but apparently they didn't submit a 3rd jersey design for next season.

I'm hoping they go for a retro look similar to this:

Kavanagh-Moose-Front.jpg

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Highly doubt it. They're smart, they're going to wait for sales of our 2 current jerseys to slow down.

Scott Brown said it wasn't going to be released for this upcoming year. He said it's possible for the year after next, also I wouldn't rule out the Jets looking to secure the Heritage Classic and waiting for that to release a 3rd jersey.

the only third jersey that MAY happen is switching the front logo with the shoulder winged logo.

Anything to back that up?
I've heard the opposite many times. I think people within TNSE have even talked about "retro jerseys" and their preference to go the WHA route as opposed to the NHL jerseys.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Scott Brown said it wasn't going to be released for this upcoming year. He said it's possible for the year after next, also I wouldn't rule out the Jets looking to secure the Heritage Classic and waiting for that to release a 3rd jersey.

I've heard the opposite many times. I think people within TNSE have even talked about "retro jerseys" and their preference to go the WHA route as opposed to the NHL jerseys.

I was talking with a local retailer a few months ago.
That is just what he told me.
Take it for what it is worth.

Hence why I said "may"

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
I have zero attachment to the WHA jerseys, and actually find them a little ugly.

My preference is 90's era, followed by 80's era with the armbands down the sides. But knowing TNSE desire to go for the most historically relevant, WHA is probably what it will be.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Chipman himself said last year that at somepoint down teh road he could see a retro 3rd jersey and that he would prefer the WHA ones

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Chipman himself said last year that at somepoint down teh road he could see a retro 3rd jersey and that he would prefer the WHA ones

Well I don't think he ever wanted to name them the Jets either.... So take that for what it's worth.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Chipman never explicitly said he wanted the WHA jerseys as the third jersey, but it would make the most since a lot of people already own the 80's and 90's Jets jerseys. Less opportunity to turn a profit with those ones.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011

How awesome would that be? Jets skate out in their 90's era jerseys to "jump" by Van Halen!!!!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
In order to capitalize on merchandising revenues, the WHA jerseys are a much safer option. Many people still have 80s and 90s jerseys, nostalgically. Albeit the names on them would be different, and a lot would be sold regardless. I like the WHA option, I think it rekindles the former glory of our team, as one member dutifully reminded me some time ago.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I can't remember which article it was stated in, but apparently they didn't submit a 3rd jersey design for next season.

I'm hoping they go for a retro look similar to this:

Kavanagh-Moose-Front.jpg

I want this. And we could use it on HNIC when we play Edmonton, who would wear their orange Alberta Oilers retro look.

Oilers1.gif

Reed Solomon

GO ✈'s GO
Jul 26, 2011
Winnipeg, Man.
People are always claiming that the old jerseys belong to the Coyotes (they don't).. but remember, the NHL Winnipeg Jets were an expansion team, and their original logo was very similar to the WHA Jets.. but THEY WERE NOT THE SAME TEAM. Just like this Winnipeg Jets team is not the same as the one that played here in the 80's and 90's. Therefore, by using the WHA team logo, they're essentially bypassing the whole "That logo belongs to a different team that's still playing in Phoenix" arguement for the time being. Plus it's more classic than the other Jets logos.

In summary, the WHA records of the original Winnipeg Jets do not belong to the Phoenix Coyotes, they belong to the history of the city of Winnipeg. As such, the jerseys do too.

Brian Cadle Fan

Sep 15, 2011
I've been thinking about the 3rd jersey and I would like to see some kind of nod to the Thrashers uni. It doesn't need to dominate the jersey, but perhaps a thrasher shoulder patch?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I've been thinking about the 3rd jersey and I would like to see some kind of nod to the Thrashers uni. It doesn't need to dominate the jersey, but perhaps a thrasher shoulder patch?

That would be fine. The Flames use an Atlanta-style "A" for the assistant captains.

Maybe one day they will have an exhibition game in Atlanta where they could wear Thrasher jerseys for one night only.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd really like to see an Thrasher patch on the shoulder, just done in the Jets colors.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Heres an idea for a third jersey based on the one the uniform worn the year they won their first AVCO Cup. I used the current shades of red and blue and added the new jet in the logo. Id like something simmilar to either one to be used for a third or perhaps a herritage classic jersey someday.

Winnipeg Jet

Phoenix Coyote
Jun 2, 2011
British Columbia
jets.nhl.com
Ummm I'd say the opposite of awesome. Worst Jets unis of the first incarnation, and the lamest glam rock band evah? Pass, gimme the WHA uni and I'll be happy.

The Jets 90's era uniform is my favourite hockey uniform of all time. But then again, I also like the Montreal Canadians uniforms, and the 90's Penguins. There's something about going back to basics that just appeals to me.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I like the 90s jets one as well. I was cleaning out my garage today, and I found a little ceramic bear wearing the jersey that my father got me all those years ago.

It's now in my sons room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad