Friedman: Vince Dunn available, Blues looking for a first round pick

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I thought Dunn was on the second pair of the Blues championship team with Parayko..

If it wasn't him what are the pairings?

Curious to know, thx.

The Blues didn't really use strict pairings that run other than Bouwmeester-Parayko as the shutdown pairing. All of Gunnarsson, Dunn, and Edmundson saw time paired with Pietrangelo and Bortuzzo. It was basically a top three and then everybody else.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
A first?! Ah... okay....

Personally, I would take a physical, stay-at-home styled Dman who can skate for Dunn. Someone in a similar mold as JayBo.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
The Blues didn't really use strict pairings that run other than Bouwmeester-Parayko as the shutdown pairing. All of Gunnarsson, Dunn, and Edmundson saw time paired with Pietrangelo and Bortuzzo. It was basically a top three and then everybody else.

I remember your defense looking generally great in those playoffs..

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Would be a good fit in Edmonton with Klefbom on LTIR and the team in need of a left-handed PP presence. A 1st seems a bit much but Edmonton doesn’t have a 2nd this year. Maybe 2022 2nd, a forward who makes about what Dunn does and one of Caleb Jones or William Lagesson?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
2nd round pick + D prospect like Reilly Walsh?

I'd also do 2nd + Will Butcher for Dunn + cap dump but not sure that would interest the Blues

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Blues don’t have to trade him at all. I don’t see them backing off the 1st as an asking price.

it is really a numbers game. Mikkola is looking really good and we need physical d in the back end. Krug makes him expendable.

Reactions: stlwahoo

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I remember your defense looking generally great in those playoffs..

Yep, but with Bouwmeester-Parayko shutting everybody down and Pietrangelo to keep the rest together, it allowed them to play the rest of their guys to their strengths. Edmundson, for example, was good against slow teams, so he got more minutes. But he was so awful against faster teams they basically stopped playing him by the end of the series against Boston. And they could afford to do that because the group, as a whole, worked so well. It's quite a bit different without Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo, even with Faulk playing well.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I sincerely doubt that.

How often do players get healthy scratched when not right at the deadline? You almost never see players scratched this early into the year to "prevent him from getting hurt". What makes a lot more sense was that he was a -2 with less than 15 minutes in the last game, so he's getting healthy scratched for his play.

Did you miss the Winnipeg and Columbus trade?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Did you miss the Winnipeg and Columbus trade?

When were any of the players involved in that trade scratched as a protection for a trade?

I saw PLD get benched in the 1st of his game for a terrible effort on the forecheck, but he was never healthy scratched to protect him. Torts scratched him because he was playing horribly.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Am I crazy for thinking the Leafs should be all over this?

Obviously, they’d have to clear some cap space

Another side issue is how would that affect your expansion draft protection. I suppose it's not inconceivable that Toronto protects 4D but that comes at a cost of exposing a couple more forwards.

My knee jerk thought would be whether Arizona would be interested. They hired Bill Armstrong from St. Louis and the Coyotes have 4D who'll be UFA after this season.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Idk why anyone thinks the Leafs would be in on this. We have a ton of depth on our left side, we have no cap space this year or next, and whatever assets we would want to spend would likely go towards getting a forward who can score a bit.

Good points, my thinking was that with Dermott looking more and more like he’s on the outs, they may want to add some youth on the back end. They’re also going to lose someone in the expansion draft most likely.

Dermott isn't on the outs. Coaching and management often rave about him. He hasn't "taken the next step" to establish himself as a top 4 option, but he's been fantastic on the bottom pairing his entire career. He's making $875k in a year where we're pinching every single penny and digging under the couch for more. Furthermore, keeping him as a prime candidate for the expansion draft has its merits as well.

Would offer Dermott and a 2nd from the Leafs
Why would you want to swap our third pairing guy and a second for their third pairing guy who makes $1m more?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad