Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Ville Husso played tonight, his 100th regular season game in FEL.
HIFK beat Oulun Kärpät 5-1 and, Husso saved 26 times and his SV % was 96,3.

After tonight's game Husso's stats are next.
18 games 11 wins 4 draws 3 losses 468 saves 34 goals 1 shutout GAA 1,87 SV% 93,23.

Once again if Husso could, keep this level entire season.
There's no reason why, he shouldn't sign 3 yrs entry level rookie contract with St Louis blues.

Of course Husso isn't immediately, ready and mature to play in NHL.
but if possible, can play for loan in HIFK.

It'll burn one season, his ELC contract but that is low prize to pay.
How's other St Louis Blues, goalie prospects like Binnington, Opilka and Copley.
Can they be better than Husso.

And does St Louis, has any chances to keep at least two of them.
Or are they going, to get traded etc.

I can't say for sure how many Blues fans share this view, but I expect Elliott to be traded after the season to make room for one of Binnington or Copley to back up Allen next year. The one of those two who isn't in St. Louis would then share the net in the AHL with Husso next season. We've had to wait a long time in St. Louis for the goaltending to sort itself out, but it is hard to fault the club for having four prospects like Allen, Binnington, Copley and Husso. I'm optimistic that one of those four will be the longer term solution to our #1 goalie issues.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I can't say for sure how many Blues fans share this view, but I expect Elliott to be traded after the season to make room for one of Binnington or Copley to back up Allen next year. The one of those two who isn't in St. Louis would then share the net in the AHL with Husso next season. We've had to wait a long time in St. Louis for the goaltending to sort itself out, but it is hard to fault the club for having four prospects like Allen, Binnington, Copley and Husso. I'm optimistic that one of those four will be the longer term solution to our #1 goalie issues.

I only see this scenario as viable if one of Binnington/Copley really establish themself as an elite AHL goalie deserving of NHL backup minutes. Today, both have average at best AHL numbers so far this season.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Considering that Cam Talbot went for two picks (and a swap of 7th rounders) last year, it doesn't seem like the goalie market is necessarily booming right now. Ells is locked up till 2017, there's no reason to let him go until then, barring some really incredible leaps in performance from one of the prospects. By 2017, Copley and Binnington will be 25, Husso will be 22, and Opilka will be 20. That seems like a pretty ideal timeline to let a 32-year old Ells walk in FA. Until then, he's the best backup for Allen we could reasonably hope for.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Hard to imagine a scenario where the Blues goalie depth after Allen is no one that's played an NHL game, and that would be the plan going into the season.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Ville Husso recorded his 2nd and 3rd FEL shutouts (January 9 and January 15) when HIFK defeated Kalpa Kuopio 1-0 and Ilves Tampere 3-0 their past 2 home games

When 40 FEL regular season games has played Husso's stats in HIFK net are next
27 games 15 wins 6 draws 6 losses 686 saves 54 allowed goals 3 shutouts GAA 2,01 and SV percent 92,07.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Considering that Cam Talbot went for two picks (and a swap of 7th rounders) last year, it doesn't seem like the goalie market is necessarily booming right now. Ells is locked up till 2017, there's no reason to let him go until then, barring some really incredible leaps in performance from one of the prospects. By 2017, Copley and Binnington will be 25, Husso will be 22, and Opilka will be 20. That seems like a pretty ideal timeline to let a 32-year old Ells walk in FA. Until then, he's the best backup for Allen we could reasonably hope for.

This.no need to make rash decisions barring something dramatic happening.with that said,does the finnish league have any sort of streaming service?another league I'd like to check out from time to time outside of just the box scores.

BluesTraveller

Mar 5, 2012
St Louis
Ville Husso recorded his 2nd and 3rd FEL shutouts (January 9 and January 15) when HIFK defeated Kalpa Kuopio 1-0 and Ilves Tampere 3-0 their past 2 home games

When 40 FEL regular season games has played Husso's stats in HIFK net are next
27 games 15 wins 6 draws 6 losses 686 saves 54 allowed goals 3 shutouts GAA 2,01 and SV percent 92,07.

Thanks for the update.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Ville Husso gets his debut in team Finland's men's national team
Husso has chosen for Finland's roster back to back games against Sweden next Thursday and Saturday ( 11 and 13 February).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I can't wait till he comes over, he's put up great numbers everywhere he's been, has great size, and he's taken his training much more seriously.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I can't wait till he comes over, he's put up great numbers everywhere he's been, has great size, and he's taken his training much more seriously.

Is he Hannu Toivonen 2.0 or who did compare Husso's stats to Toivonen. :D

But yeah main thing is Hude might be ready for NA. Going to be interesting spring in Liiga how post-season goes in HIFK (Husso's team), now they are leading Liiga.

Lets hope everything goes as planned.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Tonight is the night, Husso is starting goalie and will play his first Finnish men national team game in EHT against Sweden. This is big step for him.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Tonight is the night, Husso is starting goalie and will play his first Finnish men national team game in EHT against Sweden. This is big step for him.
If you're watching it, let us know how he does! Super excited about this kid with all the things I've read about him.

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
Just started watching the game now. SWE up 1-0 in the second. Husso just saved a semi-breakaway and a shot from the point through traffic.

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
SWE goes up 2-0. Point player passes it backdoor and the guy settles the puck allowing Husso to get over in time but barely gets through under the right arm. Most likely one he would want back, but the defense gave him no help on the play.

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
SWE 3-0. Fin turns it over in the offensive zone. SWE player skates down left side of the ice passes across the slot to a streaking players who beat his man and taps it in with one hand on the short side as Husso slides a little too far. I think he though it was going to the player backdoor maybe and was expecting the one player to beat his man and cut off the pass for the tap in.

SWE 3-1. FIN scores on a 2 on 1

JUst saw a replay of SWE first goal, guy scored backdoor all alone.

SWE 3-2. FIN scores 15:26 into the 3rd.

Last edited:

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
SWE wins 3-2. From what I saw Husso looked solid. He was on top of his crease and challenging shots. His rebound control was great and often trapped many potential ones with his glove. He did seem to over commit sometimes sliding from side to side. I thought there was only one goal he should have had but the defense left the guy alone anyways. He was good in his first men's national game, easily belonged.

Stats:
36 saves on 39 shots

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I have nothing special to add, just sick tired how BAD team they get on ice. There is important games in Finnish League and other European leagues are in EHT break and Finland we aren't.

While there is still game going on, Swe scored first goal after 27sec. 1st period. It was horrendous defence meltdown, guy just walked over 1on1 and pass backdoor where Swe guy just put it in the net.

Rough start and I think Husso nicely keep his mindset right. There was clearly 1st big games 'tension' in Husso performance couple time at 1st period, but more game did went futher Husso improved, goals he didn't have change, maybe 2nd one could have been able to take with as a gamesaver.

I'll give him 8½ grade, nothing fancy, nothing special, too bad our defence was just bad, leaved Husso alone.

This is very 'tight' evaluation about Hude's first performance. Finnish coach just told Husso,(Laine and Aho) wasn't nothing to complain about their performance.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
That Polak trade is looking very nicely. Still not sure why TOR retained salary and gave us the 4th for Polak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad