Ville de Québec Part VIII: Et c'est pas fini, ce n'est qu'un début

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I doubt it we Quebecers have a nasty tempers with that kind of bait and switch. PKP might just say "Garry I put 41 more Star Academie shows in the new arena before I buy at a premium a piece of paper that say I own 23 reject from the rest of the league." Unless Quebecor is in on the switch I doubt this is going down this way. My bet is Columbus or Detroit will not be moving east if the Yotes get moved to QC. My money on Columbus because they really don't have the influence that Detroit does. The BoG likely already aproved an alternative realignement they just can't and won't admit it publicly. This realignement is fictional until the end of the current season and I bet they reserve the right to change it at the last minute in case of an "Emergency".

Realignment isn't fictional, it was approved, madhi, it's unlikely QC gets a franchise but instead gets a newer Colisee, to be able to compete economically. CBJ and DET are indeed moving East and WPG is going west as Chipman was promised when he bought ATL. the Alignment that's posted won't be reviewed until 2015-16, NO Matter if the new Colisee is finished by the middle of 2014.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Realignment isn't fictional, it was approved, madhi, it's unlikely QC gets a franchise but instead gets a newer Colisee, to be able to compete economically. CBJ and DET are indeed moving East and WPG is going west as Chipman was promised when he bought ATL. the Alignment that's posted won't be reviewed until 2015-16, NO Matter if the new Colisee is finished by the middle of 2014.

It a piece of paper until the end of the season and guess how long it take to change that? Five minutes and two phone call. It the unbalanced part that make me really suspicious that they got a more rational plan cook up that they can't really publish right now because they can't admit that the yotes are moving.

Last edited:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
It a piece of paper until the end of the season and guess how long it take to change that? Five minutes and two phone call. It the unbalanced part that make me really suspicious that they got a more rational plan cook up that they can really publish right now because they can't admit that the yotes are moving.

If this is the case why go through the motions now only to change again in two months? Five minutes and two phone calls, really? The imbalance points out west.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
I'm with Madhi, it's all smoke and mirrors until the fate of the Coyotes is decided.

And how could they move in Seattle when they have no confirmed new arena, a temporary arena that needs work to be NHL ready and on top of that, no owner?

Are you saying a piece of paper voted by the same guys that probably all know about a possible relocation has the higher hand on a city with no arena and no owner? For all we know they have a wink wink alternate alignment ready to go in case of a relocation.

If not then, Seattle better hurry the hell up because Winnipeg were ready and still needed to do a lot of work in a small amount of time to turn the Thrashers into the Jets.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
If this is the case why go through the motions now only to change again in two months? Five minutes and two phone calls, really? The imbalance points out west.

With respect,

That is if only one realignment been approoved.

Remember what Bettman was saying 7 days prior the Thrashers sale?

Never trust what the league tells you.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com

Simple Bettman still think or cling to the illusion that he can get some sort of deal to keep them in Glendale. But that all fall flat if they go public now and put the Yotes in the East in that realignement. Everybody would see through that play. Also it does not hurt the gate to pretend for as long as possible that nothing is happening with the Yotes. The NHL might even force Quebec to play in the West for two season just to pretend that it all happened at the last minute. It all about saving face for Gary.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
It a piece of paper until the end of the season and guess how long it take to change that? Five minutes and two phone call. It the unbalanced part that make me really suspicious that they got a more rational plan cook up that they can't really publish right now because they can't admit that the yotes are moving.

With respect,

That is if only one realignment been approoved.

Remember what Bettman was saying 7 days prior the Thrashers sale?

Never trust what the league tells you.

Simple Bettman still think or cling to the illusion that he can get some sort of deal to keep them in Glendale. But that all fall flat if they go public now and put the Yotes in the East in that realignement. Everybody would see through that play. Also it does not hurt the gate to pretend for as long as possible that nothing is happening with the Yotes. The NHL might even force Quebec to play in the West for two season just to pretend that it all happened at the last minute. It all about saving face for Gary.

It seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors by both the NHL and NHLPA to have this realignment be negotiated, voted on and passed "if" they knew that Phoenix was going to relocate to QC for 2013-14 season. Why not just announce the relocation now and vote on a realignment that makes sense?

Personally, I don't care when or how Seattle gets an NHL franchise just that they do. As I have already stated I also hope QC gets there team back as well. How those things happen does not matter but as I stated a page or two back this realignment gives us in Seattle some hope that it could be sooner rather than later just looking at the logic of what has happened.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It'd be quite easy to shift one team over from every group. Phoenix over to the Atlantic group, Columbus over to the Eastern group, Detroit over to the Central group, and Colorado over to the Pacific group.

I think the 14 west and 16 east has something to do with disperate travel.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
It seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors by both the NHL and NHLPA to have this realignment be negotiated, voted on and passed "if" they knew that Phoenix was going to relocate to QC for 2013-14 season. Why not just announce the relocation now and vote on a realignment that makes sense?

Personally, I don't care when or how Seattle gets an NHL franchise just that they do. As I have already stated I also hope QC gets there team back as well. How those things happen does not matter but as I stated a page or two back this realignment gives us in Seattle some hope that it could be sooner rather than later just looking at the logic of what has happened.

Don't worry. We're all in the plans somewhere ... :nod:

NHL Hartford

Mar 16, 2008
Hartford, CT
www.facebook.com
Did he step down from Quebecor or Quebecor Media ?

Media is the biggest chunk of the business.

Also, this morning we got sad news. No Nordiques before 2016. The BOG approuval of the new divisions opens up all doors for Phoenix to Seattle move.

While testing Detroit and Blue Jackets in East might seem like temporary, it definitly closes (but does not locks) the doors for a relocation and/or expansion in the East.

Isn't it possible that the NHL could reincarnate the old Norris Division? Move Colorado to the "Pacific Conference" along with relocating the Coyotes to Seattle and move the Leafs and Blue Jackets to the Blackhawks, Jets, Wild division. That would leave the opportunity to expand to 2 additional EC teams in the future.

DJ Omnimaga

Sep 23, 2012
Québec City area
codewalr.us
Who knows what environnemental matters could come out? They can garantee no legal hurdles will come up? To state Qc city is only 1 year ahead Sea in the building process is very very optimistic and close to wishful thinking.

Yeah I agree with that part. Just take a look at the new Quebec arena back in 2011: The financing was approved by governments and PKP, done deal and all, but then:

1) Denis DeBelleval tried to block the PKP naming rights/management deal, taking the whole issue into court.

2) The soil at the construction site was contaminated, requiring the city to switch the arena to its current location.

Thankfully those didn't affect the project timeframe because the arena wasn't supposed to break ground until last September, but if breaking ground would have been planned earlier, it would have.

And of course you all remember Carolina Hurricane's arena issues in the '90s, forcing them to play over an hour away from Raleigh for 2 seasons in front of 9000 fans. That could happen to any project, but at least if the arena already broke ground you are almost guaranteed to play in it in 3 years or less, while if there are still environmental issues to be done, it could drag on for years in the worst case scenario.

Why not just announce the relocation now and vote on a realignment that makes sense?

If that ever happened, the Coyotes attendance would drop to 3000-5000 fans per game until the final game. I doubt the NHL wants that. As low as ticket prices might be, the fans that go see the games will often buy merchandise and food available at games, meaning extra revenues going in NHL's pockets before announcing their team is done.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yeah I agree with that part. Just take a look at the new Quebec arena back in 2011: The financing was approved by governments and PKP, done deal and all, but then:

1) Denis DeBelleval tried to block the PKP naming rights/management deal, taking the whole issue into court.

2) The soil at the construction site was contaminated, requiring the city to switch the arena to its current location.

Thankfully those didn't affect the project timeframe because the arena wasn't supposed to break ground until last September, but if breaking ground would have been planned earlier, it would have.

And of course you all remember Carolina Hurricane's arena issues in the '90s, forcing them to play over an hour away from Raleigh for 2 seasons in front of 9000 fans.

there was no arena in Raleigh, then, DJ, had Connecticut not been corrupt through 2 Goverment administrations and had Karmanos gotten what he'd asked for from the CTDA, the Whalers likely would still be in Hartford, instead of being in Greensboro (they relocated a franchise that died later in New Haven), AND Greensboro still is a magical building because it kept the ACC Tournament (ask Duke, UNC, or NC State alums about Greensboro Coliseum).

Last edited:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Mid to end of April we should know if there is gonna be an NBA and thus an arena and thus an NHL team in Seattle. April because thats when the NBA BoG has reunion and will definitly/finally aprouve a move to Seattle.

All this of course is hypothetical. Because there is people in Sacramento trying to keep the Kings there. If they succed there is no NBA nor NHL on short nor mid term in Seattle. So, the league can do what ever they want to put us and the media on a wrong path but by end of April we will have a much clearer image of this situation.

My take on other points is :

Key Arena as temp facility : NHL does not care. They don't care because they are not the ones paying the bill for 2 or 3 years. And sadly they don't reflect on future of the league further than 2-3 years at time.

I don't believe there is a 2nd realignment voted on and taking in account a possibility that Coyotes are not in AZ in Sept 2013. Like someone else said Gary Bettman only reacts to stuff happening around he does not know what "being proactive" means or does.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I mooved on!! The Nordiques are death...

I'm 33 years old. I'm live in Québec city since 2000... I have a house since 4 years now in Loretteville so I pay tax. I was born in Alma Lac-St-jean as a big big Nordiques fan... But now they gone!!! And you know why they leave the beautifull "vielle capitale" ?? Because that team sucked big time... They was a joke ! And I remember the day of Marcel Aubut sale annoucement to a group from Denver Colorado ... And Poeple, the fans, me Did'nt care anymore!! "Go away !! Millionaires players bla bla bla!!".

Since i'm a Philadelphia Flyers fan and proud to be. I have NHL Center ICE to Watch all their game in HD.... I go see him play in Montréal or Ottawa when they come. And man... I don't want the Nordiques back... I MOOVED ON!!!

I garantee you that when they come back you'll be on your knees crying and crying, thanking God they have returned. :D

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
About the realigment, I said it before, move The Coyotes to Seattle, The Panthers to Québec and everything would stay the same as far as the divisions.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
About the realigment, I said it before, move The Coyotes to Seattle, The Panthers to Québec and everything would stay the same as far as the divisions.

Why would the Panthers move anywhere when their owners are reportedly making money overall?

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007

Yeah I also noticed the realignment was perfect if they ever wanted to move Nashville to Saskatoon and Tampa Bay to Halifax!!! :shakehead

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
If the Panthers move in the next 5 years, I am ready to watch Montreal games on TV an entire season...

Na, don't trust what you see (empty seats)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Looks like the NHL signed a good player for you guys in Ekman-Larsson. Will be nice to see him in bleu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad