Ville de Québec Part VI:VE le Quebec Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Like I did in 95 when Sakic lift the cup, it was a bitter sweet moment, I was so pround of my team! but at the same moment, the people I saw cheering where in Denver, the players presented the cup to the people in denver. At that moment, I knew it was not my team anymore... It was Colorado's team!

After that, I could not bring myself to watch a complete hockey games, I was watching other peoples teams playing each others... Perhaps, i'm not a tru hockey fan, but for me to enjoy a game, I need to care for the teams playing and sadly, after a while, you dont care anymore for what was once your team...

This! Reality really hit me in the face when that ****** bag said: "Thank you Quebec" during their Stanley Cup parade. That's when I realized they were not my team anymore.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yeah, but Brunt say that since... what, mid March.

Personally that interview scare me a bit. He just confirm what we already know: nobody is stupid enough to invest in the Coyotes, but still, he seems to think that there's no real plan to relocate them in Quebec City.

Which bring us to one question: why? Why are we so unattractive?

Did PKP afraid them? Maybe they would rather sell to Power Corporation.
Are they just waiting for Seattle?
Are we a too small market?
Do we smell bad?
Are they affraid that the new colisée will never get build?

If we are the only market, well then, what take them so long?

It has everything to do with Gary being obsessed with Glendale. It's all about perception. These guys spent a bundle on the Coyotes, the city and state paid for for the arena, the NHL doesn't want to send a message outthere to the states and cities that "we're gonna waste your money away, don't bother spending money for arenas, you'll lose your shirt". That is why they want this to work.

I wish owners would say alright enough is enough Gary let it go. But half of them have been placed there by Gary himself. He's the puppet master.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It has everything to do with Gary being obsessed with Glendale. It's all about perception. These guys spent a bundle on the Coyotes, the city and state paid for for the arena, the NHL doesn't want to send a message outthere to the states and cities that "we're gonna waste your money away, don't bother spending money for arenas, you'll lose your shirt". That is why they want this to work.

I wish owners would say alright enough is enough Gary let it go. But half of them have been placed there by Gary himself. He's the puppet master.

And that is the only reason the NHL is trying to keep an NHL team in Glendale, every other city fighting for a new rink would now be able to say, well look at the Phoenix Coyotes, they built an arena in Glendale and the team still left.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
And that is the only reason the NHL is trying to keep an NHL team in Glendale, every other city fighting for a new rink would now be able to say, well look at the Phoenix Coyotes, they built an arena in Glendale and the team still left.
I think by now the NHL can safely make the case that a) We tried to find you a new owner for the past three years but your market just does not work for our economics. b) We never asked you to build that arena in fact when we green lighted the relocation of the Jets it was to Scottsdale not Glendale because Scottsdale had all the out of state retiree we wanted to tap. But you made that stupid arena offer to Ellman and he was dumb enough to take it so we wipe our hands of the whole deal.

Alright maybe you sugar coat it a bit but let face it this is high time somebody stage an intervention before these fools sink half a billion in this mess.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

As I respond every time this argument is made, it is not logical. So the NHL doesn't want to send that message, but it does want to send the message that if municipalities pony up for an arena and the franchise still doesn't make money, the municipality could be blackmailed into coughing up hundreds of millions more to keep the team? Because that's the message they're sending right now. And it's a message that will continue to reverberate over the years as Glendale has trouble meeting its budgets due to the massive subsidies it has to fork over every single year for eternity. Not logical.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
As I respond every time this argument is made, it is not logical. So the NHL doesn't want to send that message, but it does want to send the message that if municipalities pony up for an arena and the franchise still doesn't make money, the municipality could be blackmailed into coughing up hundreds of millions more to keep the team? Because that's the message they're sending right now. And it's a message that will continue to reverberate over the years as Glendale has trouble meeting its budgets due to the massive subsidies it has to fork over every single year for eternity. Not logical.
Let face it Garry never expected Glendale to fork over the cash two years ago. He just wanted an excuse to say he tried but the CoG has been too dumb to play along. But that the problem with crazy demands. What do you do when the other side is crazy enough to say yes?

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Yeah, but Brunt say that since... what, mid March.

Personally that interview scare me a bit. He just confirm what we already know: nobody is stupid enough to invest in the Coyotes, but still, he seems to think that there's no real plan to relocate them in Quebec City.

Which bring us to one question: why? Why are we so unattractive?

Did PKP afraid them? Maybe they would rather sell to Power Corporation.
Are they just waiting for Seattle?
Are we a too small market?
Do we smell bad?
Are they affraid that the new colisée will never get build?

If we are the only market, well then, what take them so long?

Quoi?

He didn't say anything like that in the interview linked above though

He said [paraphrased] "The arena will be built in Quebec City" and "The governors are not going to be too happy if they have to shell out $$ for another season of supporting the Coyotes"

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

It may not be logical but that's how they are approaching this, I think. They are afraid that no state or cities will poney up money if the NHL leave after having been given arenas. That's why they'll also do everything they can to make the Devils work because the state gave them a great shinny arena and they can't lose face.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Some nice news from Quebec. In todays edition of Le Soleil they mayor said that since they expect many visitors to the construction site, there will be two 24/7 webcams running for the duration of construction. So, the WORLD will be able to follow the progress day and night.

In the same article, he says that monday they are starting the bidding processes for first stages of the building. Just a few more months before the first showel.

dennilfloss

Yes I love disco!
Jun 7, 2011
Ottawa
dennilfloss.blogspot.com

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Yep. Was reading that in Le Soleil online late last night. :)

They had a mock up of the venue but that picture is now been removed for some reason.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/do...cyberpresse_B13b_la-capitale_577_section_POS3

Edit: nevermind, the picture was actually in Le Journal de Québec's version of that press release. Me = confused sometimes. :D

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2012/06/15/sous-haute-surveillance
Loll Edited: Right next to the Laurentienne (Thanks barneyg!) I hope they connect the highway to the site directly god only know it would relieve congestion during events. I wonder if they cancel or relocate the Quebec Expo for the next three years?

Last edited:

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
Right next to "la Capital" I hope they connect the highway to the site directly god only know it would relieve congestion during events. I wonder if they cancel or relocate the Quebec Expo for the next three years?

As Shawa666 said, that picture is outdated. The arena won't be on that site at all but will replace the hippodrome at the upper right corner of that picture.

What do you mean by "La Capital(e)"? The highway on the pic is Laurentienne (A-973) not La Capitale (A-40). At the beginning of project talks, there were plans for a big overhaul of the Laurentienne/Hamel cloverleaf, but that was dumped, and the announced project is rather minor. Nothing has been announced to actually alleviate traffic.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
As Shawa666 said, that picture is outdated. The arena won't be on that site at all but will replace the hippodrome at the upper right corner of that picture.

What do you mean by "La Capital(e)"? The highway on the pic is Laurentienne (A-973) not La Capitale (A-40). At the beginning of project talks, there were plans for a big overhaul of the Laurentienne/Hamel cloverleaf, but that was dumped, and the announced project is rather minor. Nothing has been announced to actually alleviate traffic.
You're right but Laurentiene is directly connected to a-40 anyway if Labaume does not do much to deal with traffic this could turn into a nigthmare. Off course Quebec city public transport is more efficient now than it was in the 80s. The 8xx metrobus system was a real game changer.

Merci*

What are feelings on the odds of the team returning to Quebec City at this point?

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
10 %- 20% at the most we are less than 7 days away from the 2012--2013 schedule

50/50 at this point. Edit: The release of the schedule mean a lot less than you think considering the uncertainty over CBA negotiation. Teams are likely told to put travel plan, tickets and promotional calendar printing to the last minute.

Last edited:

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
You're right but Laurentiene is directly connected to a-40 anyway if Labaume does not do much to deal with traffic this could turn into a nigthmare. Off course Quebec city public transport is more efficient now than it was in the 80s. The 8xx metrobus system was a real game changer.

Given how the city has dealt with Boul. Laurier, letting traffic get predictably heavier and heavier until its current state while still handing out construction permits for office towers, I think it's safe to say that it will turn into a nightmare before anything is done.

That said, Soumande is one of the city's worst eyesores and will have to be upgraded at some point. My guess is that it's in the city's plans, but they didn't want to announce it at the same time as the arena because it would look like a 500+ million project instead of a 400 million project.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Some nice news from Quebec. In todays edition of Le Soleil they mayor said that since they expect many visitors to the construction site, there will be two 24/7 webcams running for the duration of construction. So, the WORLD will be able to follow the progress day and night.

In the same article, he says that monday they are starting the bidding processes for first stages of the building. Just a few more months before the first showel.

Labeaume is Hip! :D

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Yups, my friend you have it spot on, lets not also overlook that this would be back to back years where GBs southern plan would show failure.

Lets not also overlook that the Americans hate to lose at anything, bad optics to lose another team to Canada, hot off the heals of the Peg move.

Something else to be noted, By all accounts Glendale thought they had a air tight contract in place to get their $ back if the team moved, That contracts failure has to send shock waves of concern for those in the future contemplating building a arena for a franchise.

Last edited:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
What are feelings on the odds of the team returning to Quebec City at this point?

I'm down to 10%. 5% chance Jamison doesn't have the money, 5% chance that GWI or some other opposition scuttles the deal, and 90% chance they stay in Phoenix for at least another year.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I'm down to 10%. 5% chance Jamison doesn't have the money, 5% chance that GWI or some other opposition scuttles the deal, and 90% chance they stay in Phoenix for at least another year.

Isn't it pretty much guaranteed that Jamison doesn't have the money? If he did this thing would be done and dusted, with GWI being the only potential obstacle.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Isn't it pretty much guaranteed that Jamison doesn't have the money? If he did this thing would be done and dusted, with GWI being the only potential obstacle.

Meant more like if the team leaves, 5% chance it will be because Jamison doesn't have the cash, 5% chance it will be because of the GWI, and 90% they stay in Glendale for another year (whether with Jamison as an owner or not).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad