Ville de Québec Part IV: Le Boudoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobo

Jun 28, 2011
Did Labeaume just say this new arena will be finished in 30 months?

tobo

Jun 28, 2011
QCBlizzard's link.
Wow, they're showing a promo movie for the new Arena. Nice gimmick: 'sit with the players'. There are 10 places for fans next to the bench. Awesome to watch a game from one of those places! :yo:

tobo

Jun 28, 2011
off topic: for someone who's used to hearing and speaking continental French, your french is weird. :laugh:

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
off topic: for someone who's used to hearing and speaking continental French, your french is weird. :laugh:

So, can you now see why we're Québecois and not ''French''?

We're almost speaking a different language! With the sometimes huge difficulties understanding and being understood by the French.

And that new arena looks great! But it'll look better once it's built and has an NHL team in it. :sarcasm:

tobo

Jun 28, 2011
Ah, you don't have to convince me. Over here in Belgium we have our own difficulties with nationalism. Us Flemings (Dutch speakers) don't have a lot in common with our northern neighbours, the Netherlands. Same thing with our fellow countrymen, the Walloons, from the south (French speakers). They don't have any affinities with the French. I think your Quebec situation can be compared to the Afrikaans-speaking South Africans. They hate to be called Dutchies, even though their language developed from ours and its mutually interchangable with Dutch.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Both are really analogous to something like Australian English speakers in the peculiar way the languages have evolved in isolation... in both cases, Quebec French and Afrikaans, they remain mutually intelligible but it requires a bit of working around. Similarly, Australian English has such a high level of slang that it can be nearly impossible to understand for an English speaker from elsewhere.

The one I always find interesting is "bonne fete" for happy birthday in Quebecois French, which sort of hints at the age and isolation of the language... the idea of wishing one a "good feast" really drives home the fact that we're dealing with a language and population group that was cut off from the metropolis in the 18th century. Afrikaans, of course, has the same history.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
490183-plan-site.jpg

tobo

Jun 28, 2011
QcBlizzard, they said something about those two empty lots. What's the plan there?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Yeah I guess we forgot to mention this was happening today. Basicly they are having the architects and other technical guys of the new arena getting questioned by city council members about the arena.

There are also 3 new documents posted and more are to follow.

Document 1
- Page 4 - Details about the overall space the project will occupy. We learn about 20k square meters are reserved for spectators, 4,1k for teams/players, 1.8k for media, 8,7k for restaurants and other concession stands and 18,1k for interior circulation space.
- PLANS 1 and 2 - Plans of the whole area and side plans for the building itself. You can see the position of the new building (identified by GLACE) compared to the current Colisée Pepsi (identified by COLISEE). Notice that the original projections were that the arena was to be placed SOUTH of the CENTRE DE FOIRE (far left of the plan).

- Plan 6 and following - Mainly you can see where seats are located, other than hockey events arrangement. Hockey plan is to have a 18090 seats.

- Page 6 - There is a 7.3k square meters space to be constructed/arranged by Quebecor Media (40M Media equipement promise by PKP). These include the NHL team dressing room, NHL team administration room and NHL team official shop. It is to be noted that there are stated as ''if necessary''. It is also said that the space will only be build to respect security building standards (water, fire supply/exit, etc), everything else in that space is at charge of Quebecor Media.

- Cost is still scheduled to be 400M and goal is to get a silver LEED certification for the building.

Overall, seems pretty solid.

Document 2 and Document 3 are text and table filled with technical information every single piece of the building to be built, by what standard, how many sinks, toilet seats (including make, flush capacity and what not).

Document 3 includes also ice and climate equipement brochures some of which are in english so feel free to look. It also includes electrical, electronical and other plans and schemes. There is also a 10+ pages NHL ICE STANDARD guide in there.

Last edited:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
QcBlizzard, they said something about those two empty lots. What's the plan there?

Which ones ? Big grey area (N-W of arena) and the smaller one (E of the arena) are future parking spaces. Most of the non indicated area around the CENTRE DE FOIRE is actually a parking and will probably be rented as such for gamenights.

tobo

Jun 28, 2011
Which ones ? Big grey area (N-W of arena) and the smaller one (E of the arena) are future parking spaces. Most of the non indicated area around the CENTRE DE FOIRE is actually a parking and will probably be rented as such for gamenights.

Off course, Zone de Stationnement, looks like I'm not properly awake. :laugh:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
From what I understand, the would only need to go about 15 meters deep in the ground with the overall usable space...which is kinda very little.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Both are really analogous to something like Australian English speakers in the peculiar way the languages have evolved in isolation... in both cases, Quebec French and Afrikaans, they remain mutually intelligible but it requires a bit of working around. Similarly, Australian English has such a high level of slang that it can be nearly impossible to understand for an English speaker from elsewhere.

The one I always find interesting is "bonne fete" for happy birthday in Quebecois French, which sort of hints at the age and isolation of the language... the idea of wishing one a "good feast" really drives home the fact that we're dealing with a language and population group that was cut off from the metropolis in the 18th century. Afrikaans, of course, has the same history.

"Fête" actually means "party" not "feast." "Festin" means "feast."

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Your whole analysis is interesting but in France they also say "Bonne Fête". :D Fete means birthday but yea I wouldn't be surprised if it's a take off of "feast". Good catch.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Have you guys seen the VIP benches? It's fantastic it's like being in a penalty box near the players, almost like the between the benches position that commentators like Maguire are most of the time. But for paying fans.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Have you guys seen the VIP benches? It's fantastic it's like being in a penalty box near the players, almost like the between the benches position that commentators like Maguire are most of the time. But for paying fans.

It looks like the seat Jack Nicholson sits at during Laker games, haha.

I don't know how I feel about those seats. Great novative idea, but will the players like it? Who will sit there? Regular paying fans or dignataries? We don't have anybody of Jack's caliber in Quebec City, but.. Celine Dion and René Angélil could perhaps sit there :)

I'd morgage everything I have just to be able to sit on the Nords' bench, that would be such a great experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad