Prospect Info: Viljami Marjala, F (159th overall, 2021)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'll be curious to see how he performs in Finland next year. It's not that great of a loss for the Remparts, frees up an import spot for them too. Hey... they could always select Rosen this summer. :biglaugh:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
This doesn't change the expiration of his draft rights, correct? We'd still have to get him signed next year (if the Sabres choose to offer a contract)?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I'll be curious to see how he performs in Finland next year. It's not that great of a loss for the Remparts, frees up an import spot for them too. Hey... they could always select Rosen this summer. :biglaugh:

He's a loss that's for sure. He was going to be a 3rd year veteran but now they have to start over. The Remparts will have one of the last pick of the 1st round in the Import Draft (#54) and with the CHL banning players from Russia and Belarus, the pool of talent available will be a lot thinner.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
It's disappointing to see him get assigned to play U20 in Finland. It's like he went backwards in his development. That's where he played before joining the CHL.

I guess he could get some time in the Liiga this season but it will probably be as a 4th liner.

Reactions: Jacob582

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
He has 5 points in 2 games. Small sample size I reckon but if he keeps that pace he isn't long for U20.

He probably doesn't get signed Rochester will be loaded with forwards next season.

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He has 5 points in 2 games. Small sample size I reckon but if he keeps that pace he isn't long for U20.

He probably doesn't get signed Rochester will be loaded with forwards next season.

The two goals were empty netters in the same game.

I doubt he gets signed as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582 and elchud

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Still getting Liiga time on not the fourth line. 2-2-4 in six games going into today in the highest Finnish league. His last couple of Liiga games he had 16:05 and 14:03 in TOI since coming up. Not sure that continues with today's relatively unforced error that put Karpat ahead, but we'll see.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Still getting Liiga time on not the fourth line. 2-2-4 in six games going into today in the highest Finnish league. His last couple of Liiga games he had 16:05 and 14:03 in TOI since coming up. Not sure that continues with today's relatively unforced error that put Karpat ahead, but we'll see.

So...drafted in 2021...was in the CHL at the time...= rights expire 6/1/2023

then he goes home to Liiga. Does that change rights at all?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So...drafted in 2021...was in the CHL at the time...= rights expire 6/1/2023

then he goes home to Liiga. Does that change rights at all?

No, he's a sign-or-lose since he was drafted out of the Q and this is the second year since selection. I'm really torn on this one from Q views so I'm trying to get more eyeballs on him on his club team(s). His J20 production is excellent.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
No, he's a sign-or-lose since he was drafted out of the Q and this is the second year since selection. I'm really torn on this one from Q views so I'm trying to get more eyeballs on him on his club team(s). His J20 production is excellent.
Damn.

I think they sign him. He's picked it up this year. This regime selected him.

Of course, this will then lead to a discussion I plan to spearhead all summer about the overflowing forward pile in Rochester
(wtf do you do with Murray,Weissbach? dev window is basically over)
(rosen likely back, does kulich make the big team?)
(ostlund over if they dont make the shl?)
(mersch has a 3 year ahl only deal; Jobst has 2)
(bloom, nadeau are locks to come; marjala, neuchev, konecny all possibilities; no way they sign huglen)

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
We have the contract space to sign him up but the questions are there on both sides at what point do you, and they, pass because of the metric ton of forward prospects in this organization. Take all the guys signed from Savoie to Bloom to Kozak…and add another 10 or 11 guys that aren’t. And another slew of draft picks around the corner.

If they think he’s their 15th best forward prospect. do they do it? 12th best? 10th? Does he?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like he was playing 2nd line RW for TPS yesterday per their Twitter and what the stream was showing. Still not sure if he gets a deal, seems like another smallish top 6 only guy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Scored a goal in the playoffs for the TPS junior team as his club team has been bounced from the Liiga playoffs (he had an assist there in three games).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sounds like we need to sign him by June 1. What do you think we do?

From the general prospects thread -

They hold his rights for four years.

The portion of the rules that's been quoted here refers to the player being tendered a Bona Fide Offer according to 8.6(a)(ii). So the next thing to do is to look at 8.6(a)(ii) and it tells you the following:

8.6(a)(ii) Subject to the provisions of subsection (iii) below and Sections (b), (c) and (d) below, if, on or before June 1 of the calendar year next succeeding the Entry Draft, the claiming Club makes a Bona Fide Offer (as defined below) to its claimed Player of an SPC, the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for the services of such Player up to and including the second June 1 following the date of his selection.

So, generally speaking, after a player is drafted his team only automatically retains his exclusive rights for one year. After that one year, the team then tenders a Bona Fide Offer to extend those rights for a second year, or they choose not to and let the player's rights expire. The latter rarely happens, but it does happen sometimes. All the way back in 2014, if I'm remembering this correctly, it was reported that the Sabres had let Eric Locke's rights lapse a year following his draft. That would mean that the team elected not to tender him a Bona Fide Offer.
Anyway, players drafted out of college (or who enter college following the draft), or out of Europe do not have to be tendered a Bona Fide Offer and their rights are automatically held as long as stated in the appropriate section of the CBA.

Back to Marjala. Because he was drafted out of major juniors, his rights were only automatically held for one year. To get them held for a second year, the Sabres needed to tender him a Bona Fide Offer. If the Sabres had not tendered him that Bona Fide Offer, then their exclusive rights would have expired last June. Now, per 8.6(b)(ii), which has been quoted previously, because Marjala left Major Juniors and because the Sabres tendered him a Bona Fide Offer, his rights are now held until June 1, 2025.

In short, a Bona Fide Offer is something that happens for the vast majority of players drafted out of juniors, but we never hear anything about it because there isn't really anything to hear about it. Teams tender Bona Fide Offers almost as a matter of course, there really aren't a lot of reasons not to do so.

Seems like they have time to decide with him beyond just this year.

SabreHawk

Jul 6, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
Thanks, Chainshot! Good news. I think he may be a good 5th round find. Had some impressive stats this year.
With the load of prospects we have in Rochester next year maybe staying in Europe is best. I just didn’t want to lose him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks, Chainshot! Good news. I think he may be a good 5th round find. Had some impressive stats this year.
With the load of prospects we have in Rochester next year maybe staying in Europe is best. I just didn’t want to lose him.

We'll have to see. Hopefully he pushes into TPS Liiga roster fulltime and continues to generate offense next year.

I wouldn't get too enamored with his U20 SM-sarja stats this year though - looking at historical data on EP for players under 20 when their season started, he's 45th all time in points/game (minimum 10 games played) and the NHLers above him did their damage at 16 (Puljujarvi, Granlund) or 17 (Slavkovsky, Donskoi, Teravainen) but the 19's like him are pretty meh as NHLers. Not that he couldn't buck the trend but it's something to proceed with caution.

1684819679171.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad